Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: When is a text file, not a text file? When it's a text file!  (Read 2150 times)

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
When is a text file, not a text file? When it's a text file!
« on: November 30, 2009, 08:18:59 am »

So yeah.  Sometimes, I really hate windows.  I just spent 2 hours trying to figure out why a reaction file wouldn't work, when all it took to make it work was to copy a working text file, rename it, and replace all the text inside it with the text from my non-working text file. 

Arrgggghhhhhh!
Quote from: Toady
"This suggestion is very broad."
≡«+large yellow diamond+»≡
On the item is an exceptionally designed image of a diamond in yellow diamond.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: When is a text file, not a text file? When it's a text file!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2009, 09:59:21 am »

What? Can you be more specific? Also make sure that you always have file extensions on.

To make a text file: right click -> create -> text file.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2009, 07:47:06 pm »

Yeah, it was a text file.  I can't stand to have extensions off, so yeah, it was .txt.  I was just using notepad on windows 7, and as far as I can tell, creating a new text file defaults to the wrong encoding pattern.  I've had this problem in the past, and it's a pain. 

What happens, is that you get a data/object file for the text file, but all the reactions contained therein don't show up ingame.  The way I figured it out was by purposefully adding a mangled entry to the file; it didn't show up in the error long. 

So to get the right type of txt file, I had to open up a working copy of another file, erase all of it, copy and paste my data into there and save it as my new file.  Such a bloody pain.

Meanmelter

• Bay Watcher
  • A Dwarven Demon, yeah, he is pissed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2009, 07:55:59 pm »

I was just using notepad on windows 7,
NEVER GET WINDOWS SEVEN! IT IS WORSE THAN VISTA! AND VISTA SUCKS!
huh. took a bunch of sleeping pills and slept in a pharmacist, wake up, i am now albino. 
Story of my life.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 08:05:34 pm »

Have you even tried it?  If no, ignore the macspam.  Probably isn't the problem if that's the case.  Anyway, are you sure you put in everything necessary?  The file name manually typed into the top, starting with the word "reaction"?  The [OBJECT:REACTION] tag that defines the file's entries as reactions?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2009, 08:07:30 pm by LegoLord »
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Xandrin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:13:26 pm »

All-caps replies usually get ignored...however...I'm bored.

I'm quite enjoying W7.  The UAC is toned down greatly, it boots fast and consumes less RAM and lazy-loads all the stuff that Vista thought was super important, resulting in less processor strain.  I can do everything that I can do on linux with my windows machine (with a little bit extra pain in the ass) but windows is more user friendly, so its a sacrifice I'm willing to make.

Chrispy: you can enable file extensions in Folder Options in the Control Panel.  Alternatively you can enable WinXP mode for your Dwarfy Adventures :D.  Default Notepad save format is ASNI...so I don't know what could possibly be the problem on your end.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 09:16:16 pm »

Windows 7 cannot be worse than vista.

Also, use Notepad++.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Chrispy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 09:37:51 pm »

Have you even tried it?  If no, ignore the macspam.  Probably isn't the problem if that's the case.  Anyway, are you sure you put in everything necessary?  The file name manually typed into the top, starting with the word "reaction"?  The [OBJECT:REACTION] tag that defines the file's entries as reactions?

Yeah, I tried that.  I did spend several hours horsing around.  I even copied the innards of working file, put it in my home-made text file (hahaha), and it failed to work.  The problem (afaik) was that it was encoded as unicode, rather than ansi.  Or the other way around.

Eh, it's just another thing to be aware of if/when I start making my dwarf-fortress file converter.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 10:25:25 pm »

A lot of people say Vista sucks, but after turning off some annoying features, the only differences I can tell between it and XP are that it looks a bit different and runs a bit slower (though that may be due to my laptop).
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2009, 12:52:48 am »

I'm willing to bet that the files are just being saved in the wrong encoding, which you should be able to choose when you save the file anyway. And if you're editing an existing file, then it should be able to detect what it is in the first place.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2009, 07:46:01 am »

Windows 7 cannot be worse than vista.

Also, use Notepad++.

Editpad Pro is good too... (:

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2009, 06:24:14 pm »

A lot of people say Vista sucks, but after turning off some annoying features, the only differences I can tell between it and XP are that it looks a bit different and runs a bit slower (though that may be due to my laptop).
This, the only people who still hate on vista are mac-supporters and people who used it when it came out, if you used XP when it came out you would say it sucks too. :)
Not to mention, DX10/11 gives so many FPS boosts for newer games, it's crazy.

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2009, 06:44:02 pm »

I had good experiences with WinEdt. But that was back in the days when I used...
*krackaBOOM*
WINDOWS ME
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2009, 10:48:30 am »

I had good experiences with WinEdt. But that was back in the days when I used...
*krackaBOOM*
WINDOWS ME

Is it appropriate that I pictured you in a high tower, on the outskirts of civilization, pressing the laws of decency and trying to create your own demonic abominations?  Is "Windows ME" a killing-word?  Does it make fire rain from the skies, and seas boil?  Are those who are struck blind upon gazing at it the lucky ones?

On the somewhat-unbiased-somewhat-unnecessary front, I, a Mac user, have not tried nor am willing to pass judgment on 7.  A few friends of mine have complained that they liked the OS better when it was in beta.  OP's problems sound incredibly annoying.  I wish I could just have a stripped-down OS, with just enough features and support to actually be worth trying to use.  Somewhere between "You have to install all of the drivers using punch cards, including the punch-card-reading driver" and "We decided to get rid of the file structure because it was just too gosh darned confusing for the 70+'s!"

I say we shoulda never gone past Windows 95!  The gods have punished our hubris!
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2009, 03:18:48 pm »

*krackaBOOM*
WINDOWS ME

Is it appropriate that I pictured you in a high tower, on the outskirts of civilization, pressing the laws of decency and trying to create your own demonic abominations?  Is "Windows ME" a killing-word?  Does it make fire rain from the skies, and seas boil?  Are those who are struck blind upon gazing at it the lucky ones?

Yes. Yes it is.

On the somewhat-unbiased-somewhat-unnecessary front, I, a Mac user, have not tried nor am willing to pass judgment on 7.  A few friends of mine have complained that they liked the OS better when it was in beta.  OP's problems sound incredibly annoying.

I'm honestly surprised he's having the problem at all; like I said, Notepad should detect encoding upon opening a file and allow you to select which encoding to use when you save it, so I have to wonder if it wasn't mostly user error at fault here.

I wish I could just have a stripped-down OS, with just enough features and support to actually be worth trying to use.  Somewhere between "You have to install all of the drivers using punch cards, including the punch-card-reading driver" and "We decided to get rid of the file structure because it was just too gosh darned confusing for the 70+'s!"

I say we shoulda never gone past Windows 95!  The gods have punished our hubris!

Please do not remind me of Windows 9x.

Then again, judging by a lot of the earlier Mac vs. PC advertisements (euuuugh), some people seem to think Windows IS still Windows 9x.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2