Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The Axe of Impaling (succesion game)  (Read 16200 times)

Koji

• Bay Watcher
  • Kobold
    • View Profile
Re: The Axe of Impaling (succesion game)
« Reply #75 on: January 01, 2010, 07:28:51 pm »

Oooh, sign me up for a turn?
Dwarvenrealms
ASCII | Graphical
Over 220 new creatures, new civs, new industries, and a fully customized tileset!

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #76 on: January 01, 2010, 08:02:54 pm »

Sure.

Oops, forgot to update the players form  ::)
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

Kinoko_Otoko

• Bay Watcher
  • Behold the saccharine visage of a fluffy wambler.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2010, 01:10:53 am »

Aright, in that case make mine a weaponsmith (assign a peasant if there is none) and make his profession 'Waffengeist'. You can make his name Kinotoko for the sake of brevity (instead of Kinoko_Otoko).

Forgive me if this is obvious, but since we already have food to last us years and operational farms, you should think of something to try and accomplish during your turn. You could continue the tower thing I started (just be careful of leaving the top open to the ramps on either side) or you could try and tap the magma for powering our workshops, etc.

TBH tho there's so much coke in that fortress it's obscene.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2010, 02:21:35 am »

PC is now fully operational I hope...
SO, I shall be taking my turn after gumball...

Also, good news...

Addictgamer, Programmer, has gained experience.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2010, 02:30:13 pm »

I didn't get to play it at all today. I have the introduction mostly written out, though, and that'll take the most time to write out; the smaller journal entries won't take long at all.
I'll do my best, but the fortress runs really slowly on my PC for whatever reason, so real progress won't be made until I get the game onto my dad's school laptop using a memory stick.
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2010, 02:39:59 pm »

Grimes' log
25th Limestone, 204, Early Autumn

Several months ago, I, Grimes Bisekbomrek, set out for the fortress of Ticktorch with the intention of... well... there wasn't really any cause for this sudden move, to be honest. There comes a time in many a dwarf's life when they just say:

''Screw it, I'm migrating to a newly founded fort.''

However, unlike most of 'those dwarves', I've actually SURVIVED longer than a week! I, Grimes, a lowly peasant, have survived the endless goblin ambushes. The constant catsplosions. The tricky troglodyte excursions. The sneaky swallowmen attacks. The wily wild animal assaults. The kobold killings. Th-... well, you get the point. I'VE SURVIVED!

The fortress is a mess. Countless dwarves have fallen in the past four years, their remains stashed Armok knows where. The majority of the survivors have been placed into the ''Civlogistics'' group, wandering aimlessly about the filthy halls without a care in the world, unaware of the slaughter and chaos going on around them.  The last leader went insane and mined deep into the adamantine in the mines below. He hasn't been seen since. The other dwarves were quick to erect a wall blocking off the tunnel entrance once they heard strange noises coming from the depths.

Why have I started this diary then, you may ask, when it’s obvious that I will soon perish in this hellhole? Mainly because today, I was approached by the mayor, Ingish whatshisface. Due to the death of the previous leader, a new one was needed. After writing down the name of every dwarf in the fortress on slips of paper and putting them all in a hat, the nobles decided to pluck one out randomly to help them decide on a new leader. They picked out my name. I was to be the new fortress leader. I’m not even going to ask why they did that, but I accept this title graciously! Of course, I can’t run everything by myself, so I’ve handpicked 3 of the most competent dwarves in the fortress to help out: BKMW, Addict and Kinoko.

The diary may help me to plan ahead and to record my thoughts. Who knows; I might last at the job more than 2 days.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry for taking so long; I've had a pretty busy couple of days. Don't worry, though. I've started playing the game at least :)
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 02:58:01 pm by gumball135 »
You could start a zoo and end up with a natural history museum, I'm sure no one would mind.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2010, 04:26:11 pm »

Cool.

When I get over my downloading spree, I'll organize all the stories into the first post in the topic and spoiler them, and put an amusing story surounding them. *A scholar dwarf found some ancient diaries of a time long ago*, for example.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #82 on: January 04, 2010, 11:51:45 pm »

*Addictgamer has withdrawn from society*

Yes, I am working on something that will, hopefully, make this topic a lot more enjoyable.

If I had a real time, that had experience, it'd take about a week to put together a good looking version of it.
But since I'm doing it alone and by myself, I think it will take 2 weeks for a medium quality version...

I can tell you that it would be an on-going project until this fortress dies *never*
I also will need detailed stories from the players who played a turn.

All in all, I think it will turn out great.
Please stay tuned.

Btw, how's your story coming along gumball? (You don't mind if I shorten your username to that, do you?)
You think you can finish playing and post the save by Wednesday?

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: January 05, 2010, 07:32:58 am »

It's coming along fine :) Any hints as to what this megaproject is?

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: January 05, 2010, 05:46:51 pm »

Grimes' Journal
2nd Sandstone, 204, Mid-Autumn

It's been an eventful couple of days. I was informed soon after my rise to power that a goblin ambush had been sprung by the merchant caravans. Although the goblins were quickly killed without any trouble by the caravan guards, it's common knowledge that goblins ALWAYS come in several groups when ambushing.

My suspicions were correct. A lone pack animal (there are a lot of those around) soon sprang another. The patrolling champions (or Earthfurys, as they've been nicknamed) were on lunch break. Or so they told me. The helpless animal was soon cut down. The goblins then charged towards the main entrance, only to be pummelled by the stone traps there. Sadly, one managed to make it through and killed two of the sentry dogs there. This survivor then backtracked as he spotted Addict and another dwarf gathering up some trash outside.

He rushed forward with murderous intent, his mouth frothing and his weapon held high...

...only to bump into the returning champions. Needless to say, that guy didn't last long.

That happened yesterday. I hope to Armok that there isn't another ambush out there somewhere. In other, less depressing news, I've begun to realize how incompetant everyone in this fortress really is. Someone had built a new area for the apartments, about, oh, FIFTY Z-LEVELS BELOW THE FORTRESS PROPER! Also, there are a load of pointless tunnels EVERYWHERE. I couldn't do anything about those, however, so my first action was to remove the already placed furniture and designate a new area closer to everything else in the fortress, along with a nice, big bedroom for myself. What? Don't give me that look! I'm the one running this joint! I have to do all the hard work!
Here's a plan I drew out of the new apartments...

Anyways, my second action was to order a couple of people to actually start mining. BKMW is one of the only dwarves currently performing the job, but he's too busy 'bringing water to the wounded'. His behaviour sounds a bit too elven for my liking!

I'll keep you posted on the goings on around the fortress over the next couple of days; I'm actually enjoying writing up this journal! Wait, who am I talking to? This job is driving me nuts already!

7th Sandstone, 204, Mid-Autumn

The queen was very unhappy lately. She began complaining that her quarters weren't up to scratch, someone else had a nicer burial chamber than her, etc. What a load of carp. Sure, it is pretty bad, but still so much better than everyone else's. I'm disgusted.

Mayor Ingish has also begun lording it up, banning the exportation of some random rubbish. Of course, he doesn't actually care whether we export Lay Pewter items or not; it's a hidden message. He's the boss around here, and whatever he says, goes. Well, he can go to hell for all I care. I'll soon sort him out.

22nd Sandstone, 204, Mid-Autumn

I'm pretty busy at the moment, so I'll give a short summary of recent events.

To start off, both a goblin thief and a baby snatcher appeared at the beginning of the month. One was picked off by a merchant' guard and the other ran into our champions.

I've also begun to understand the workings of the fortress; a couple of days ago, I stumbled upon a room full of levers. These control bridges at the fortress' entrance, although I'm pretty sure that there's a side entrance into the fortress somewhere that the haulers are getting in and out of. I have no idea how I'll block this off, seeing as the terrain around the main entrance is really, really mountainous. WHO DECIDED TO BUILD HERE!?

Well, that complaint aside, things are turning out pretty good. The miners are digging out the apartments painfully slowly. There haven't been any terrible accidents, and no dwarves have been murdered as of yet. I'm preparing our defences for the inevitable sieges to come.

Well, that's all the news. My next entry mightn't be for a while; I have big plans for this place

---------------------------------------

More to come soon; I'll write a good deal up tomorrow.

Note: I don't actually think that the fortress is as bad as I keep saying it is; I'm just trying to keep in character
:P
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 06:11:11 pm by gumball135 »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #85 on: January 05, 2010, 06:11:03 pm »

Ok, a hint: It is going to be the first thing of it's kind on the forum. I haven't even seen anyone talk of this...

So, I'm pretty excited.
Good enough hint?

Update:

It would go faster if I had a picture of a dwarf...And not some random drawing on a google search, but take a random dwarf from the game and make a 2D picture of it...
I may post an Image of what I'm doing.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 09:14:51 pm by addictgamer »

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: January 06, 2010, 12:21:43 pm »

Grimes' Journal
25th Sandstone, 204, Mid-Autumn

-Some random dwarf woman had a baby. Poor kid.
-I finally gave in to the whiny Emoqueen and her snivelling creep of a Dungeon Master by designating them both out new quarters. There won't be any hidden weapon traps in their beds. Honest! Assigned a couple more miners because the jobs are taking so damn long; BKMW is the only miner with any skill around here. Just to keep myself busy, I decided to start as well.
-Addict decided to go on break, despite the fact that he's our only mechanic. He should really watch his step, 'cause there's a storm comin'. HEAR THAT, ADDICT!?

Nothing else to report, really.

19th Timber, 204, Late-Autumn

Quite a while ago since my last report. A pathetic goblin baby snatcher was spotted by a camel and tracked down by our champions (I've seperated them into 3 different groups). I'm expanding the dining room. Some poor sod was crushed to death by a drawbridge after I pulled a wrong lever, which brings the total number of dwarves who have died under my reign to a startling ONE! Hoho, that's gotta be some kinda record. I've discovered that there just aren't enough workshops around, so I might have to do something about that in the future.

That's all for now.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #87 on: January 06, 2010, 12:28:52 pm »

Whenever a dwarf of mine goes on break, I go to the m screen, and quickly recruit and un-recruit them.
I just hate it when dwarfs take breaks.

gumball135

• Bay Watcher
  • [ROBOTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: January 06, 2010, 01:41:39 pm »

Grimes' Journal
3rd Moonstone, 204, Early Winter

The Queen has begun tantruming. Hopefully her behaviour won't rub off on the other dwarves! The most annoying thing is that I've begun digging her out several new rooms. It's just taking a while! I'm beginning to think that the Queen is in league with the Mayor in his plot to piss me off. I wonder would a Fortress Guard beat the carp out of her if they caught her misbehaving? Hm. Too bad we don't have any actual guards.

11th Moonstone, 204, Early Winter

The Queen started a fist fight just as Datan somethingorother entered a fey mood. Interesting! Addict is currently linking up a floodgate to a lever in my room which will block up that side entrance I mentioned before.

Now, time to look at the Queen get beaten up!
Hmm. Just got back from cheering on the fight. Turns out the Queen beat up the poor Civlogistics fellow. I forgot to take into account the fact that the queen is actually one of the strongest, toughest and fastest dwarves in the fortress, next only to the Champions. Still, at least she's quite content now!

24th Moonstone, 204, Early Winter

ORCS! ORCS! HEAD FOR THE HILLS! THE ORCS....!!!!

Are here to trade.
Once the Broker decides to get off his ass, trading can begin. Unfortunately, they didn't bring any wagons (Might have something to do with the fact that I was messing with the levers again at the time).

Datan has begun work on a mysterious construction after I built a jewellers workshop just so he could get some cut jewels. He's making it in a crafter's workshop, so we'll see how that turns out.

The miners have mined out nearly everything designated, although I wonder why they switched target halfway through. I mean, I designated the bedrooms to be dug out first, but now they're going to be the last finished.

The Broker decided to take a break just as trading was about to begin, but a quick threat of forced service in the army soon solved that problem.

That's all the news lately.
Grimes out.

------------------------------------------------------------------

It's very hard to post on the forum after you fill up one full ''box'' of text; the scrollbar keeps flickering up and down, so that you can't really see what you're typing unless you scroll back down again, which is pretty annoying. Anyone else have this problem? I'm pretty sure that it's not a problem only I suffer, seeing as it happened on both the PC and laptop that I use. Anyways, I'm back to school tomorrow, so I'll have limited playtime, but I'll have my turn finished by Monday.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 01:52:50 pm by gumball135 »

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #89 on: January 06, 2010, 02:15:37 pm »

Nice update.

Yes, I have that problem too. It drives m e crazy.
I always type up my updates in msword first, then fully check it for errors, then post here.
Of course, there are probably still errors after that.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9