Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 108120 times)

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth, 2.0!!!
« Reply #705 on: January 19, 2010, 12:42:04 pm »

Build -> Dream Catcher.

You need two branches and a piece of string, such as Spindly Taproot (brown herb you find on the ground sometimes)
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: January 19, 2010, 12:46:28 pm »

well,I settled in the middle of nowhere near a lake or river(haven't checked it out yet) got a cabin,there are chickens nearby and goats, cows are about 20 mins away. There's also a huge river to the south.
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: January 19, 2010, 02:10:36 pm »

Sounds like a better place than the one I picked! I ended up having to make a 10-15 minute trek to find a river (well, I made several such treks and eventually found one) so I could get clay for pots and things. I built a kiln right next to the river so I could make some jars and tree pots and loaded them into urns in a boat I built when I got to the river just so I could "travel" back to my hearth fire with the stuff I made... fun times.

On the next trip I made (finding a swamp for leeches to get my hhp back up to max) I stumbled across someone with a little lean-to and stuff. It was kind of neat and I ended up making a plow, a little paved area and a cabinet for them that I somewhat filled with rabbit meat, bones and skins before I left. Now that I'm back at my own place it's kind of boring... I'm trying to grind up my perception and exploration or whatever they're called so I can find inkweed for cartography. Before that I need to be able to hunt deer though (for the per food) and before THAT I need to, well, not suck at hunting.

Yeah... I'm debating just wandering the wilderness looking for people to make things for so I don't just have to grind looms or some such nonsense for my LP.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: January 19, 2010, 04:00:22 pm »

You don't need deer for perception. Carrots are, of course, the best alternative, but if you don't have them go for plaice and blueberry pie. I've caught plaice with a copper comet, tin fly and leech. Obviously only the leech is available to you, so it may take quite some effort. Anyway, I fished at dusk when I caught a plaice with a leech, but I don't remember in what phase was the moon. Haven't really done much fishing with leeches at other times of day, so it's possible that leeches work all day long.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: January 19, 2010, 09:36:42 pm »

Oh wow, didn't know about the carrots, I ran past some a while ago... have to track those down.
The moment the lever was pulled, somebody's pet kitten stepped onto the bridge. I read somewhere that if a cat falls more than 11 stories, it instinctively flares its legs out to increase air resistance. This slows it down enough to stick the landing with relatively minor injuries. In Dwarf Fortress, apparently, cats don't do that.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #710 on: January 19, 2010, 09:58:38 pm »

You seem to be able to use nettle for string as well, which I was unaware of up till today.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: January 19, 2010, 10:12:28 pm »

*Moaning and whining about forgetting to grassify where I wanted an apple tree, so now it takes forever*
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: January 20, 2010, 08:44:29 am »

It's a long river,it might be part of the huge river to the south
That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: January 20, 2010, 10:25:20 am »

where can I get plant fibres?

I need them.

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: January 20, 2010, 12:05:55 pm »

Growing flax or hemp, or from the spindly root plant you can find growing in forests.
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: January 20, 2010, 01:04:33 pm »

problem is,i can't find any flax or hemp plants.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: January 20, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »

Hemp is in swamps, flax is on heath and IIRC mudflats. Just leave some for the other people if you find them. Best thing is to harvest it all then replant half of what you get.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 03:12:07 pm by DJ »

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Bluerobin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: January 20, 2010, 09:46:27 pm »

Hmm are carrots found in a particular terrain type? I've wandered quite a ways and haven't come across any yet... got a bunch of skills up with the LP I've been getting from gathering stuff along the way though.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 10:14:19 pm by Bluerobin427 »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: January 21, 2010, 08:22:08 am »

Deciduous forest. Could be coniferous as well, but I'm not sure.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: January 21, 2010, 09:04:26 am »

can i have claimed 2 places at once?

Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 82