Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 108254 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth, 2.0!!!
« Reply #225 on: December 20, 2009, 12:53:57 am »

Depends on if you're close to some goons or not i hear; they're the main griefers.
Ah, its out in the middle of a desert in the middle of a pine landscape without fruit and houses are not near.

So Im not too afraid, but it only takes one guy walking by. Im gonna go check up on it right now, the skins should be done.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 20, 2009, 12:55:33 am »

If you don't have fruit you might find food to be an issue :\

I really wish wild crops spontainiously genereated or something

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 20, 2009, 12:59:16 am »

If you don't have fruit you might find food to be an issue :\
I did for a while and almost starved until I figured out the trick to catching rabits.

Foods not really too big an issue now, I had overstuffed myself a while ago.

And now Im never overstuffing myself again. Its just not worth it.

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: December 20, 2009, 01:28:41 am »

Where the heck do you find wheat plants? I'm not settling down until i find some unclaimed supplies to plant.
EDIT: I would also like to know how mining works in this game. do you still need to find a mine, or can you build one now?
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 01:36:41 am by Dragooble »
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 20, 2009, 01:44:22 am »

According to the forums the wheat\hemp etc plants are all pretty much harvested in the central map area, if you head out reaaaaallly far you might find some, more likely you'll get mauled by hyperaggressive foxcarp.

I don't suppose anyone well established has some flax or hemp seeds they could throw my way? :(

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: December 20, 2009, 01:45:43 am »

Ok, i think I'll just start over too. Put my boat somewhere i can find it.
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #231 on: December 20, 2009, 01:47:40 am »

Out of curiosity, do animals, once spawned, wander around/breed/die? I.e. do they remain persistent until something kills them or do they despawn after lingering for a while? I'm wondering if it's possible to set up a ranch, even for obviously non-domestic animals like boars.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 20, 2009, 02:04:23 am »

I'm pretty sure they just wander around until something kills them.

Frelock

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: December 20, 2009, 03:44:43 am »

Nope, animals live for about 20 minutes with no-one watching, if not domesticated.  Proto-cows are the only thing which can be domesticated at the moment, so it is possible to set up a ranch.  However, domesticating a cow involves a long, arduous process with you being attacked over and over by an unreasonably strong beast, to say nothing of the rest of the herd, which will swarm you faster than anything.
All generalizations are false....including this one.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: December 20, 2009, 05:28:02 am »

Boars are OP :(

On the upside, i found an abandoned farmstead and looted it for valuable seeds and crops (what little was left), and am now slowly making my way to the edge of the map, where i hope to find something interesting. If the boars and foxes would just leave me alone.

The boars i can sort of understand (although they're waay overdone), but the foxes are like freaking orange lions.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: December 20, 2009, 05:42:39 am »

Apparantly i have discovered Foxboar Central.

--EDIT--

Ok- now i know i'm in the ass-end of nowhere. I just found some wild onions.

--EDIT2--

And apparantly i am now in the wild stonelands or something. The ground turned into gray stone and is covered in cliffs!

Oh... Heh, these are mountains rite? XD

--EDIT3--

No sign of any fruit trees yet. Lots of fir trees though.

--EDIT4--

Desert, and a river! it's not grassland, but it should speed up my exploration.

I'm waaaay off the known map now. Havn't seen any human habitation for ages, might find some along the river, although judging by the number of unpicked crops out here, i doubt it.

--EDIT5--

Fuck you too fox.

--EDIT6--

Apparantly when this place was generated it got stuck on 'desert'.

--EDIT7--

Dammit! Heathlands! So close to the grasslands i'm looking for :(

--EDIT8--

BINGO! Light forest with fruit trees! Score!

--EDIT9--

Grasslands! Double score!

Time to found my frontier outpost.

If i ever work out a way to get you guys down here, we can totally start a new settlement in untamed lands.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 07:07:41 am by Neruz »

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: December 20, 2009, 08:32:20 am »

Everyone wants so. Perhaps I'll move north (to you), currently there are people to the south apparently trying to stomp a big-ass village out of the ground. (Perhaps it's Josan. There were some Josan-related runestones. That would be the prime definition of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, as I might end up being collateral.) Where are you, approximately?

Say, how much Unarmed skill do you need to consistently dodge aurochs? And what other preparations should I make to ensure it works?
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 20, 2009, 08:50:02 am »

I'm not north, i checked out the map of the main supergrid (only supergrid mapped atm) and determined that the south-east was the least habited area. This turned out to be true, but it was still somewhat habited.

So i built a wagon and headed south for about, oh, 1 and a half hours or so. Ran past a mountain and some deserts and alot of boars, eventually found a river, sat down, built a boat, stuck my stuff on it and sailed along the river for about an hour or so, had to double back twice cause i hit dead ends, eventually it intersected with some grasslands, there's a heard of hairy horned cow\buffalo thingies here and some of every kind of tree, plus there's some heathland a short trip up the river if i feel like harvesting wind or something.

I did see a runestone and some signposts, but no other signs of habitation, the runestone named an area where some rivers met "Swastika Crossing' or something, i didn't stop to check out the signs. No signs of deforestation and no other signs of habitation for a loooong time.

Judging by the travel times involved, i'd estimate i'm about 1/4 or so of the way into the supergrid immediately south of the central supergrid, i was headed south-east, but the river went back to the west so i followed it.

I've started building a little home next to the aurochs with some fields and some logs piled up waiting ot turn into a log cabin, but it's getting late so it's time for me to sleep.

If you want to head down here, it's a fair hike, but i reckon it's worth it, i'm fairly sure there's no-one around for miles, certainly there was no-one around the river i took to get here, and rivers tend to be where people first build stuff.

There's a big clump of wild flax here too; handy.
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 08:52:43 am by Neruz »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 20, 2009, 08:54:23 am »

Congrats, you settled in the goon grid. They're not out to raid people any more, but I'm not sure how they'll react to people settling on what they consider their grid.

As for aurochs, I still get hit with 100 unarmed. Basically, you can't do it without good armour.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 20, 2009, 08:59:28 am »

Really? I'm surprised; i thought i ran past the Goons land ages ago.

Oh well, if worst comes to worst i can always relocate, not like i've lost much time. Hell, probably faster to just create a new character since it took me ages to get down here.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 82