Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 107978 times)

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.
« Reply #1140 on: June 03, 2010, 11:27:18 am »

So should i start in wilderness or in some town?

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1141 on: June 03, 2010, 12:12:42 pm »

If you don't want to starve to death after starting which usually happens if you don't find other people after eating all your bread in the wilderness.

Start in a town. It's so much more fun.

Imofexios

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: June 03, 2010, 01:05:50 pm »

:( im lagging too much to be able to play :(

Eek-A-Mouse

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1143 on: June 03, 2010, 11:55:22 pm »

Quote from: Imofexios on Today at 11:27:18 am
-----
If you don't want to starve to death after starting which usually happens if you don't find other people after eating all your bread in the wilderness.

Start in a town. It's so much more fun.

I'd say it depends more on your style of play. I started out in the wilderness and had loads of fun fending for myself and building what I liked without regulations. And if you dislike being on your own after some time you could always move to a city. But yeah, if you like the idea of roughing it, I'd say go for wilderness. If you like being around a large group of people and in a community, go for a city  :).

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: June 04, 2010, 07:51:17 am »

Yeah, there are things to be said for both sides of the coin. It's worth noting that travel can be a huge pain in the ass, so generally if you want to be a part of a city, you should just start there and be done with it. Other than that, Eek's pretty much right.

Also feeding yourself isn't hard. As jorb once said, the hills are alive with shit to eat, so to speak. If you spawn anywhere near water at all there's fish, and broadleaf forests have fruit trees. Points put towards foraging and exploration provide you with tasty treats every couple of dozen tiles, and if worse comes to worse, there's always rats.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: June 04, 2010, 11:37:17 am »

Yeah, there are things to be said for both sides of the coin. It's worth noting that travel can be a huge pain in the ass, so generally if you want to be a part of a city, you should just start there and be done with it. Other than that, Eek's pretty much right.

Also feeding yourself isn't hard. As jorb once said, the hills are alive with shit to eat, so to speak. If you spawn anywhere near water at all there's fish, and broadleaf forests have fruit trees. Points put towards foraging and exploration provide you with tasty treats every couple of dozen tiles, and if worse comes to worse, there's always rats.

Yah, I've only but started and I have no problem getting food already, mostly thanks to an abandoned boat I've taken for fishing trips and the ease of catching rabbits :P soon my farms will be online and I'll hopefully be able to start working on better quality carrots and the like

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: June 06, 2010, 09:38:34 am »

Giving this a not-so-subtle bump.

Andoran's progressing nicely, between the efforts of our members and the gracious assistance of our neighbors. With one of the recent updates drastically improving the viability of walls and the recent patching of the old palisade, we can honestly say the place is ours now, and that it looks somewhat less like a run-down, abandoned ruin. Basic infrastructure is in place, there's plenty of room to expand, and things are generally looking up.

Still looking for new (and old) hands, of course.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: June 06, 2010, 02:00:27 pm »

Giving this a not-so-subtle bump.

Andoran's progressing nicely, between the efforts of our members and the gracious assistance of our neighbors. With one of the recent updates drastically improving the viability of walls and the recent patching of the old palisade, we can honestly say the place is ours now, and that it looks somewhat less like a run-down, abandoned ruin. Basic infrastructure is in place, there's plenty of room to expand, and things are generally looking up.

Still looking for new (and old) hands, of course.

Hmm. I've always avoided towns, but I'm getting a bit bored of the solo lifestyle. Might you be needing an extra farmer/cook? My stats aren't great, but I have a wide variety of skills. Typical necessities for living in the wild.

Whereabouts is Andoran?
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #1148 on: June 06, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »

Is it my imagination, or do Jorb and Loftar have an unhealthy fixation on food? I mean, it's one thing to have a certain upkeep required and it's another to build the whole game around cooking and making fancy plates...
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Moogie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: June 07, 2010, 01:35:23 am »

I guess it makes cooking more interesting, beyond just eating it with your hands when it's done. Besides, the game was sorely lacking in napkins and pepper shakers.
I once shot a bear in the eye with a bow on the first shot, cut it up, found another one, and shot it in the eye too. The collective pile of meat weighed more than my house.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1150 on: June 07, 2010, 03:03:37 am »

The absurdly large range of things that funnel into food production is a phenomenon I have noticed and commented on on the other forums. I personally think Symbel fixed that (as it's not hard to eat everything you produce now). I think the reason we're seeing so much new foodstuff now is that the next big update is going to be a major paradigm shift, changing lots of other gameplay aspects that might not play nicely with old implementations. So, they're doing art and recipes for all this stuff which will (probably) carry over.

I could be completely wrong, though.

Anyway my incessant rambling aside, Moogie, we'd be glad to have you. Having more hands in the fields can't hurt, and I suppose multiple cooks never killed anybody either. Being picky about specializations isn't something we tend to do, anyway.

I assume you're wanting to bring in an extant character, so I'll PM you my HS and, when we're both on, you can start walking inexorably towards me. (I can also swear you in at-range, so with a high enough agility hopefully you can jump the last stretch or two of the journey). Another option - if you've got the requisite strength, equipment, and/or time - is to destroy your hearthfire after you've been sworn in, and you'll be able to log in at the village idol as if it were your hearthfire (i.e. regardless of travel weariness).

To answer your actual question, though, we're in the D4 grid (the one immediately southeast of Constantinople), or south of New Brodgar.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2010, 03:05:11 am by KoE »

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1151 on: June 08, 2010, 06:31:41 pm »

I started today, doing pretty well so far, logging and making clutery, but being careful on how many trees I cut since I can't actualy plant them yet. Too bad the server seems to be down.
Code: [Select]
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Table flipping, singed style.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1152 on: June 08, 2010, 06:59:39 pm »

Got on today and apparently someone ruined my stuff overnight.

They had the decency of leaving my seeds though. And the one empty wine bottle.
...They took all my good wine though.

PM's been sent asking to join the village.

Edit: Forgot to mention in the PM I think. I don't have a specialty, but I'm leaning towards Nature in beliefs and have roughly equal skills in most of the noncombat skills. Except smith and sneak. I didn't figure they'd be useful, lacking a mine. Or neighbors.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2010, 07:08:38 pm by Deimos56 »
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1153 on: June 08, 2010, 07:14:02 pm »

Erm, were's the bay12 village at? I should join since I think I'm rather far from getting the skill that allows you to own land.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Dakk

• Bay Watcher
  • BLARAGLGLGL!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1154 on: June 08, 2010, 08:45:57 pm »

Shameless bump: How do I attack things with my axe? I equipped my stone axe and try to use chop on ants and other animals, but nothing happens, fist seems to work when I'm unequipped. I'm wielding a stone axe in my right hand.
    ︠     ︡
 ノ          ﺍ
ლ(ಠ益ಠლ)  ┻━┻

Pages: 1 ... 75 76 [77] 78 79 ... 82