Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 107994 times)

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.
« Reply #1110 on: May 26, 2010, 09:13:18 am »

Yeah, we'd rather not have meddling newbs using up our very limited high q charcoal to make chest metal, or drinking our high q water that's for trees only etc. But you'd be welcome to live in the neighbourhood, and we could help out with stuff now and then (read I'd dump my excess sheep and chickens on you).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1111 on: May 26, 2010, 11:02:00 am »

Eh so far i have yet to get some other player with me, im all alone eh
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1112 on: May 26, 2010, 01:43:45 pm »

Yeah, we'd rather not have meddling newbs using up our very limited high q charcoal to make chest metal, or drinking our high q water that's for trees only etc. But you'd be welcome to live in the neighbourhood, and we could help out with stuff now and then (read I'd dump my excess sheep and chickens on you).

Hey I was a newb and I understood to stay away from hi-q stuff until I got my specialized skill up to the point where I could work with some of it ;P

Although, I'd really recommend anyone who wants to start, just wait for the next reset. Then make a character and do your learning for the first few days, until someone starts a B12 town and you can make a new character to join it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1113 on: May 26, 2010, 06:22:28 pm »

Well, YOU could always recruit some villagers, KoE.  36 banners is going to be a pain to support on your own :)

I have been seriously considering it, but I didn't want to get anybody's hopes up because I'm probably not gonna have the playtime to really play a real lawspeaker until next week at the earliest. And I wouldn't feel right just inviting new people to mess around while I'm gone just to have the ghost visit and slaughter them all (paranoid as that notion may be).

I'll continue seriously considering it, and people who want to join the game can keep that in mind.

EDIT:

To give a counterpoint to Leo, I'm not sure I would wait on a reset. There's no telling when it's coming (though if all this business about working on Wyrd is true, maybe sooner than we think), and learning the ins-and-outs would make you useful to people starting a new community post-reset anyway. Honestly, it's everybody's choice and I can see wisdom in both.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2010, 06:25:07 pm by KoE »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1114 on: May 26, 2010, 06:35:46 pm »

It is a good point that if you start now, you will learn more before the reset, and so you'll get off the ground faster.

I just feel like meh about it.

Also they should be at version 0.8 but that's just me. I look at V1.0 as being complete, balanced, stable, etc. but you will have to patch it a couple times to get it just right.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1115 on: May 26, 2010, 07:48:29 pm »

I was fortunate enough to find this little "settlement" with 3 people and a half-finished house outside one of their claims, so I finished it and started working on building my own little home. The guy hasn't woken up for 2 days, so I don't know if he's angry or not yet for stealing his house, but I'm hoping he'll at least only politely tell me to fuck off if he doesn't like it.
I like how his little area's set up too. He found two rocks that made an awesome doorway, and planted tobacco and hemp in a ring around the place. Called it his 'peace garden.' Trippy.
Nothing important here, move along.

Trappin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1116 on: May 27, 2010, 09:45:36 am »

If anyone is looking to sandbox or just plain try HH out then they are welcome to use my HS. This was an old village that I helped build months ago - village idol was moved to a mine and no one lives there now. I just finished rehabbing about 12 homes (everything was red) and crops are planted in open, unclaimed patches of ground all over the island - tobacco and green pea will be arriving soon and will be free to harvest once the seed stores are increased - all other farm crops are available.

Just claim a house and start playing.

HS: bayview

Q44 clay/Q41 kiln/Q33 soil/Q42 water (clay and water are claimed by me but go ahead trespass and use the resources (griefer was %^$$'ing up our resources)
3 caves nearby
huge meadow with conifer forest nearby
beehives
ovens
old palisades with decayed segments - so they can be snatched and used soon.
chicken coops can be built and populated easily - plenty of free wheat
swamp/heath/heather 15 minute tramp away
sand is 10 minute boat trip
fishing nodes along the river

maps:
http://glestmaps.wikia.com/wiki/File:North_river.png
http://glestmaps.wikia.com/wiki/File:South_river.png

Happy Trails
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 10:14:16 am by Trappin »

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1117 on: May 27, 2010, 11:29:02 am »

10 minutes to sand ... that's a lot of boating :P

When people talk about their village resources I always feel like they're looking for Dwarf Heaven. But it's a catch-22, because the more optimal a spot is the greater the chance someone else will try to come and steal it.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1118 on: May 27, 2010, 11:48:46 am »

There are, sadly, no coasts :(

At least not yet.

Main Entry: 1coast
Pronunciation: \ˈkōst\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cost, from Anglo-French coste, from Latin costa rib, side; akin to Old Church Slavic kostĭ bone
Date: 14th century

1 : the land near a shore : seashore

There are lots of shores in H&H, and therefore coasts, and coastal villages.

I LOL at people who use dictionary definitions to destroy their own argument.  look, I have some Prime shore front Arizona property to sell you.  In the meantime, while it goes through escrow, check that definition one more time.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Nonsapient

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1119 on: May 27, 2010, 12:35:48 pm »

Disregard I suk ****
« Last Edit: May 27, 2010, 12:41:09 pm by Nonsapient »

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1120 on: May 27, 2010, 12:39:38 pm »

There are, sadly, no coasts :(

At least not yet.

Main Entry: 1coast
Pronunciation: \ˈkōst\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cost, from Anglo-French coste, from Latin costa rib, side; akin to Old Church Slavic kostĭ bone
Date: 14th century

1 : the land near a shore : seashore

There are lots of shores in H&H, and therefore coasts, and coastal villages.

I LOL at people who use dictionary definitions to destroy their own argument.  look, I have some Prime shore front Arizona property to sell you.  In the meantime, while it goes through escrow, check that definition one more time.

The definition says the land near a shore OR a seashore. The shore is the part of land next to a body of water. Rivers and lakes have shores, and since coasts are the land near a shore, there are coasts.
Nothing important here, move along.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1121 on: May 29, 2010, 02:56:11 pm »

Alright, folks, after some urging, some thought, and some work, I've decided to throw open the gates of Andoran* for the B12 folks. Everybody's welcome (especially old hands willing to teach!), though my currently sole village mate and I are expecting doe-eyed newbies. (No offense meant, of course, but H&H does have a bit of a learning curve.)

I should mention up front that this isn't isn't a new embark - we're reclaiming a fortress that the larger B12 group emptied out of vile raiders and thieves roughly a couple of months ago. I've cleaned it up some, myself, but it's still largely a dilapidated and thoroughly looted ruin. (Most thoroughly looted by yours truly, of course  :D) There's relatively little infrastructure left from the original inhabitants (mostly pieces of wall), so we're pretty free to build how we want.

So, to cut to the chase, we're in a well-established area, under the protection of a well-respected, well-networked group (comprised of many B12ers as well), and need all the new hands we can get (and are quite willing to teach them).

Strike the earth!

--

*Yes, it's not very dwarfie - at the time it was picked, the plan was different and it might have been bad to openly identify myself as part of the larger B12 group.

Anyway, brand-new prospective players should either post here or send me a PM requesting the hearth secret that will let them spawn here. It's basically a password that you can tell the fellow in the top-left of the character creation room, and you'll spawn by my hearthfire. This is also open to folks willing to start a new character or off an old one and reincarnate him.

Established folk who want to move here without having to kill the character or start fresh should let me know as well. We can kin each other, party up, and you walk towards me until you get close enough to teleport to the village idol. I should note this requires a lot of tramping through wilderness at the mercy of whatever decides you look tasty, and could be a long and arduous task.

Please feel free to ask questions, request clarification, etc. etc.
Alright, had a discussion with the now-chieftain (Coriander), and we've set up a system so we have more than just me, personally, accepting people to the village.

I'll now be PMing two hearth secrets - the first one is the one you should spawn at. If I (in-game name AlyssaXenos) am not there, then you can use the second to add Coriander to your kin list and whisper him in-game to get citizenship. I'll probably repeat this in my PM, just in case (Cor doesn't currently live inside the village limits, so spawning with him would be inconvenient).
« Last Edit: May 29, 2010, 07:40:35 pm by KoE »

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1122 on: May 29, 2010, 03:16:22 pm »

I started playing again for awhile but then I stopped, but I guess ill start up again. Ill throw ya a pm.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1123 on: May 29, 2010, 03:26:19 pm »

I'm apparently marginally inept with the PM system here, so if I don't reply within a day please pester me again.

I'm fairly certain I responded to you and actually managed to send it, atomicwinter, but if I didn't let me know.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1124 on: May 29, 2010, 03:37:26 pm »

Na I got it.
Pages: 1 ... 73 74 [75] 76 77 ... 82