Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 108262 times)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth, 2.0!!!
« Reply #165 on: December 17, 2009, 07:21:34 pm »

Updating first post with some relevant information.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 18, 2009, 06:39:56 pm »

<rant>
Haven and Hearth has what quite possibly may be the worst implementation of swimming I have ever seen. The concept that crossing a river can be dangerous is one thing, and swimming can tire you out, to be sure... but even moderately trained swimmers can float and rest on the water indefinitely.

Honestly, my 80-year-old scandanavian grandmother can swim better than the mighty viking warriors of Haven and Hearth... she hasn't strangled a bear (to my knowledge), but regularly swims the length of one of the local lakes here, without touching shore for more than 30 minutes at a time, all the while with a quaint little sun bonnet on.

I mean, come ON...
</rant>

Also, I'm looking to make contact with some of the other surviving B12 Hearthlings. Is bottleneck still around? And can someone please give me the key to Northplowed? All my old gear is inside an impenetrable wall, and I'm no longer a member of the village... :/
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:50:19 pm by Solifuge »

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 18, 2009, 06:44:55 pm »

There's carp in the water ;)

But yeah, welcome to the club. I've lost a 700k LP full change (back when full change was 100% loss) character to Poseidon. You just have to take it in stride.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2009, 06:47:04 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 18, 2009, 08:23:37 pm »

Or do what I did and raegquit for several weeks before coming back due to the charm and appeal of the game.

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #169 on: December 18, 2009, 11:55:57 pm »

My friends and I, once we had access to trees, have found that we've very rapidly worked our way through the skills list. At this point there are only two skills that we lack (collectively) and it feels a little disheartening that there's no where to go from here, while at the same time I see posts saying that if you're attacked unless you have a combat skill over 200 you may as well just log off!

It seems that at this point the only thing left to do is literally to grind to rise the skills values and stats, with the knowledge that there's not really anything new to do from now on, just get higher QL gear. Is this a problem others face? I do note that the development time is apparently short so new things are added regularly, but I wonder if that's enough.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #170 on: December 19, 2009, 12:00:15 am »

you WILL grind
I got nothing

Aavak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Bohemian Shenanigans
« Reply #171 on: December 19, 2009, 12:16:56 am »

I'm far from averse to grinding, for example much of WURM is grind, but with WURM the grind is necessary to gain access to later constructions (not that you can't /try/ to build them with low skills, but realistically to make a ship you need to have a high carpentry skill. Hell, you can grind /on/ building the ship, but you see what I mean.)

From what I've seen of Haven & Hearth, I can build everything right now that I'll be able to build with 100+ skills, the QL will change of course, but it feels a little hollow right now. Where as on WURM there was a lot of skill grind to earn the ability to build stone houses, I can build them on H&H already, it's only the access to the materials that prevents constructing anything (well that and some skills, such as being a ranger in order to make/use ranger gear, but the skills are already purchased).

It just feels as though I've lost my goal a bit. Grinding for the sake of grinding is less enjoyable than grinding to unlock something (be it making stone buildings, or unlocking new skills, or whatever mechanic the game decides to use to reward rising your skills).

Of course, I realise I'm drawing comparisons to finished games (well...) so please understand I don't mean to imply I expect the same depth as these games which have been in production much longer. But I'm wondering if others have hit this 'wall' as I have, and if so, I'm curious if you have any advice or personal anecdotes about how you kept the game fun for you.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 12:18:50 am by Cernunnos »

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 19, 2009, 12:37:14 am »

I set goals within the grinding. I.E. Be able to provide a certain quality level of food, able to handle a certain level of creature, claim x amount of land (Got up to 2,500 feet/meters/whatever squared one time).

Errol

• Bay Watcher
  • Heaven or Hell, Duel 1 -- Let's Rock!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 19, 2009, 04:00:24 am »

And I just build an outpost, it is one of the more fulfilling things to do. I'm far from being bored or having tried everything, and I do have EVERY skill in the book... including the black ones. Lately, I have discovered Cartography, and I have great fun.

The trick is to keep your fields small, among others. A collective 100 plots of farmland serves me just as well. If I had to do gargantuan fields like the communal wheat field back in old Bottleneck every day, I'd grow bored fast.

Do everything that is in the game. Play for the sake of playing!

/e: DOMESTICATION! Although it is not for people who can't handle five aurochs at once (e. g. me).

Is there any Confederacy of Bottleneck villages in the northern supergrids? If so, could you please PM me the location?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2009, 04:45:48 am by Errol »
Girls are currently preparing signature, please wait warmly until it is ready.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 19, 2009, 06:25:51 am »

I have 1.2+ mil LP, and the only grinding I did on this character is the fires at the very start. Just do what you like doing, LP will come. There's no reason to grind unless you're into the pissing contest that PvP is.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 19, 2009, 07:05:42 am »

Okay.. Decided to give this a try..
I am a bit confused / stuck:

- I accidentally lost my initial 'dream' item by trying to use it on my character. It dropped to the ground I think, but I could not find it any more / pick it up. I see now that it was required to build my 'hearth fire'. How do I restart my character, so I can get another 'dream'?

- Even if I still had that dream item, I am unable to find any branches. All trees I can find stand on owned land, and even when trespassing criminally, I cannot seem to interact with them to get any branches.

- Speaking of, almost all the land I see is owned / built on / stripped from resources. Where do I need to go to start the game in the woods, like a lonely survival dude?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 19, 2009, 07:36:07 am »

Head north of the Ring of Brodgar, into the town of Brodgar. West of the idol (skull on minimap) you'll see crossroads. One of them leads to Novigrad. Travel there. Don't chop down any trees there for any reason. You can pull out stumps if you need blocks, though, and you may find some logs on the ground.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 19, 2009, 01:25:55 pm »

This game lags my computer.

THIS game.

Isent that sad?

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 19, 2009, 01:33:15 pm »

It just hates some graphics cards. Do you only get lag around crops?

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 19, 2009, 01:34:27 pm »

ha, I cant even enter the game any more, it just says loading... and has a black screen and takes up 100% of my computer.

Sucks becuase I really want to play it.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13 14 ... 82