Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 107997 times)

Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • The Light shall take us
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.
« Reply #1095 on: May 25, 2010, 11:45:16 am »

Well, it is the curse of tons of Russians and Goons invading, as far as I know.
Not to say Russians are bad, but from my experience they are among the most persistent grinders and greatest griefers.

H&H is, however, great - just get far enough from the centre. With the wilderness start, that's not as hard as it used to be, but it can be tricky with getting seeds and stuff.
Quote from: Akura
Now, if we could only mod Giant War Eagles to carry crossbows, we could do strafing runs on the elves who sold the eagles to us in the first place.

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
  • has gone stark raving mad!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1096 on: May 25, 2010, 12:58:14 pm »

So, I've been playing for a few weeks now. Got myself a nice little spread near a river, my own cabin, and a decent leather curing operation. But, well, it's rather lonely all the way out here. can anybody tell me:

* How to find out where I am on the world map?

* How to find the nearest Bay 12-run settlement, so I can head on over there?
Quote from: Robert A.Heinlein
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1097 on: May 25, 2010, 01:17:39 pm »

It's usually easier to just start a new character and use the hearth secret to start in the village. Because there aren't visible ingame coordinates, and random searching is difficult because it's so big.

I agree that it seems like people who grind and grief more than I do are the people who make the game suck. But I'm sure people who grind less than me think the same way.

I think they should just call it Grind and Grief (G&G) and stop making people think it's anything else.

That said, I can't play a carebear nopvp game, because it's just kind of pointless and dumb. So what can I say? Nothing that I've found appeals to me. I guess I want an MMO where I actually have a chance to be one of the high level people without grinding myself to death, and where griefing doesn't set me back much in playtime. I suppose that means the game would have to reward grinding to some extent but cut you off with a hard cap of increase every week. That would mean I could log in once a week and grind it out, or a little bit every day, and a relaxed player could easily hit the grind cap every week. But I wouldn't have to log in every day, for example, and if I missed a week here and there it wouldn't set me back horribly.

Well, H&H was EXTREMELY appealing. Until I got a glimpse of the rest of the game after the first month where it was easy, like every other MMO.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1098 on: May 25, 2010, 01:25:42 pm »

Well, I guess if I have to start a new character, I will. how would I go about learning the hearth secret?
Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor, and the contrary opinion, that violence has never solved anything, is wishful thinking at its worst.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1099 on: May 25, 2010, 01:56:21 pm »

PM the people who are in charge of the village.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Impending Doom

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1100 on: May 25, 2010, 02:04:51 pm »

Here, or on the H&H forums? Sorry for being a bit - well, a lot - newbish.

lumin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1101 on: May 25, 2010, 02:55:31 pm »

The thing that bothers me the most about H&H (and you can throw Wurm Online in here as well) is the fact that if I die or stop playing for a few months, everything I've done is lost and basically gone forever.

So you can build up a great little colony with your friends, and then leave for a while and come back and nothing but the foundation is left.  This sort of defeats the purpose of the game: They tell me that I can leave a real impression on the world, unlike other MMOs, but then my impression only lasts as long as I continue to login and upkeep everything.

The missing piece for these sandbox MMOs is that your impact on the world should last forever or at least for a very long time in some shape or form.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1102 on: May 25, 2010, 05:59:52 pm »

If decay was something I had to combat every other weekend instead of daily, I would love this game.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1103 on: May 25, 2010, 06:33:30 pm »

Here, or on the H&H forums? Sorry for being a bit - well, a lot - newbish.
On these forums here. But I don't know who is running an active town right now.

Also, the game can't really let your impressions be permanent because eventually the whole place would be a completely-developed industrial mess. Plus, the map is going to wipe eventually when you develop enough to decide it's worthwhile. H&H has wiped several times already. I think you keep your character's skills though, I'm not sure. Which kind of sucks, because people who were playing from the start had access to all the bugs and imbalances that put them beyond the reach of anyone ...
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1104 on: May 25, 2010, 07:30:38 pm »

Skills have been reset every wipe. The only thing that wasn't reset majorly, was from going from 1 to 2, you kept your characters name. No skills or anything, but if you had reached certain levels in fighting skills you got some equipment at the start. I had high enough unarmed to get a shield, not a  big deal really.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1105 on: May 25, 2010, 08:34:58 pm »

If anybody feel like striking the earth a start a new fortress tell me, i just started and im slowly building up skills and i found a mine close, lots of trees but only downside no elf on the horizon and no goblin, this year wont have much action. I got a boat, i found some settlement close but nothing like big town so far. Also my little home is just next to river

Send me a PM ill be online for a couple of hour still.

If you dont know how to spawn close to me include it in the PM so i explain you how to join me close.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 08:36:33 pm by jocan2003 »
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1106 on: May 25, 2010, 10:53:27 pm »

I'd play more, if my computer could actually connect to the server  :'(.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1107 on: May 25, 2010, 11:02:42 pm »

Weird i didnt get any problem connection, port open? firewall exeption set? i dont know... maybe some others had the same problem better take a look in their forum
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1108 on: May 26, 2010, 12:12:13 am »

Skills have been reset every wipe. The only thing that wasn't reset majorly, was from going from 1 to 2, you kept your characters name. No skills or anything, but if you had reached certain levels in fighting skills you got some equipment at the start. I had high enough unarmed to get a shield, not a  big deal really.

Uh, what? The entire point of the 'first' reset was to test what already-developed characters could do with all the new toys. I remember finding SwampCrazed's first rustroot (or maybe it was Vanigo; I don't remember, but one of us saw it and one of us didn't, thanks to our high perception), and trailing along behind Blaze as he boosted every new increment-able skill to 200 with the gobs of bear LP he had saved up. Inventories were wiped, and that's why people got some gear if they had X amount of that skill. (People with lots of LP also got a druid cloak or whatever).

The 'second' reset was a full-on character wipe to test how new characters got along with all the old new toys.

Thus far it seems that resets have no set rules, but are mostly done with the devs think they need to be.

--

To all the others asking about B12 communities, I think Diamondfires has pretty well officially gone under and I believe the, uh, other one isn't accepting immigrants at this time. I dunno, really, because I'm not exactly a part of them and I haven't been on much lately.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1109 on: May 26, 2010, 06:48:08 am »

Well, YOU could always recruit some villagers, KoE.  36 banners is going to be a pain to support on your own :)
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!
Pages: 1 ... 72 73 [74] 75 76 ... 82