Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 82

Author Topic: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.  (Read 107995 times)

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Haven and Hearth 2.5. Pretty cool to play.
« Reply #1080 on: May 13, 2010, 10:40:16 pm »

Although I'm not officially part of much of anything Bay12 as of yet, from what I've garnered in the public forums, this was part unfortunate misunderstanding and part rash action undertaken because of, uh, I guess it could be called 'diplomatic tension' and the perception that there had been some hostility. (the post I'm referring to is here.) If Xanadu is sincerely seeking peace, I know quite a few of the folks and they're quite reasonable.

I have to extend my condolences that newbies were unfortunately caught up in this - the goons seem to have rather bad luck on that front. I hope both sides can broker an agreement that won't see this happening again.

Folly

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam Profile: 76561197996956175
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: May 15, 2010, 11:13:48 pm »

I don't know if New Dorenzil is entirely dead or not, but I still see Quasic (as far as I know, the lawspeaker) on the  game's forums now and then. Maybe not lately now that I think about it, but eh. I know they weren't in good shape for a while, but I dunno if they've recovered or not.

If you get word on what the New Bottleneck admission policy for old hands, sonerohi, I'd like to hear about it as well. I'm headed out to D4 / (1,-1) / whatever it is now in any case. I actually haven't decided if I want to seek membership or not so I don't want you to push for it or anything, I'm just curious.

At New Dorenzil, Monkeyboy is our current lawspeaker, but he's been offline 5 days now. New Dorenzil is in good shape otherwise, with development in all areas. But sadly there's only 2 of us active, and if our lawspeaker doesn't return soon we may well start looking at other options...
Sone, I'd also love to hear from you about any openings you may find =]
« Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:51:04 pm by Folly »

Empty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: May 21, 2010, 05:37:12 am »

So I'm still looking for a town to play in.

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: May 21, 2010, 01:49:19 pm »

This looks good. What is the advantage to joining up with a town instead of going it alone?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #1084 on: May 21, 2010, 04:44:47 pm »

You can specialize if you join a town. That means you can let other people help feed you, and give you tools and stuff, and in return you work on your specific thing.

When I played in Diamondfires, I was a farmer. I pumped up Farming and one or two stats I think, and changed out the fields when I was on.

If I logged in and the fields didn't need to be harvested / replanted, I'd work on cooking stuff or organizing things.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: May 23, 2010, 01:20:31 am »

This looks good. What is the advantage to joining up with a town instead of going it alone?

It's essentially a game of grinding. There are multiple skills, cooking sewing farming etc. And the higher you get them, the better quality items you can make. And better quality makes you more effective. A q40 sword for example deals twice as much damage as a q10 sword. Higher Q armor offers better protection, higher Q food offers more attribute gains, and higher Q tools allow you to...well mostly make better weapons armor and food, all dependent on the associated skill.
Getting back to the question at hand, each level of skill costs more than the last, and as you start to get really high up there it becomes extremely tedious trying to progress them all. But if you let one guy do all of your cooking, and another do all of your mining, and another do all of your hunting, and another do all the farming, it becomes possible to reach much higher quality levels before things become overly tedious.
Another major reason for villages is protection. The game is PvP enabled everywhere, all the time, and if you play long enough to make anything worth stealing, you'll want some powerful allies to help you guard it.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: May 23, 2010, 05:39:30 pm »

It's also worth noting that, like all MMOs, the social dynamic can really help keep it from going stale.

As an addendum to Folly's PvP enabled everywhere, in case someone missed it, there's also 'perma'death (though you can reincarnate with between 25% and 75% of your stats depending on a certain slider setting, and your claimed stuff is still there and owned by you... unless it was stolen or destroyed while you were being killed, of course.)

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: May 24, 2010, 06:15:45 pm »

Are there any settlements on the coast? I've worked my tail off to build a boat, and I just want to be reassured it wasn't in vain.
Nothing important here, move along.

niltrias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.gaijinninjas.com
« Reply #1088 on: May 25, 2010, 01:17:19 am »

There are, sadly, no coasts :(

At least not yet.
Gero! Gero! Bwahahahaha!

Folly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: May 25, 2010, 02:08:56 am »

There are, sadly, no coasts :(

At least not yet.

Main Entry: 1coast
Pronunciation: \ˈkōst\
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle English cost, from Anglo-French coste, from Latin costa rib, side; akin to Old Church Slavic kostĭ bone
Date: 14th century

1 : the land near a shore : seashore

There are lots of shores in H&H, and therefore coasts, and coastal villages.

There are both advantages and disadvantages to living near the shore. Easy access to water is nice...you need 6 buckets to cure leather, which is a pain using a Well, but quick and easy with a body of water. And if it's high quality water then you can use it to bake good food and grow good trees. Or if your water holds good clay you can use it to...well clay is used for a LOT of things. Even if you just build next to a mussel spawning point, you'll have an easy source of food and pearls. And since travel over water is much faster than land, having a village with docks is ideal for launching hunting trips.

On the downside however, being on the water will make you much more visible to every person traveling down the river, making you more likely to be targeted by griefers. In a game with perma-death, this is a major factor.

KoE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1090 on: May 25, 2010, 06:43:58 am »

... and in any case, boats are super amazing speedboats, moving at... what, twice sprinting speed? You can cover a lot of ground (well, water) very quickly in a boat, so it's hardly a wasted effort.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: May 25, 2010, 08:52:15 am »

I've played this game off and on for long periods of time in every 'world' before every reset, and I must say.. it has certainly advanced. I remember running Clayshire Village and everything just being great, extremely fun, Blaze and I would play every single day and things were just awesome. Then the altpocalypse came, then all of those updates.. it just went by so quickly. Ever since then I had been playing solo and it's just.. I don't know. Not as fun anymore? I really don't know how to put it. It has lost something vital.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: May 25, 2010, 10:20:18 am »

It definitely used to be more.. rustic and a lot less tedious. You built your house and kiln and oven, and every login after tending fields, you didn't have to worry about busy work repairing shit. You could easily just go exploring. I remember visiting you and Blaze everyday (I was the dude shortly south of you). It was definitely funner.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

debvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: May 25, 2010, 10:24:31 am »

Yeah good times  :D

"HEY I FOUND SOME COWS ON YOUR PATH!! OH GOD COW EGGS"

Rift

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: May 25, 2010, 10:28:16 am »

The world was smaller then, pretty much everyone playing was a short walk away... and people were more trapped by the civilization levels [as we were much slower to think about grinding hunting].. it made a very different feel... Plus in those days blaze's name could scare everyone most people into being nice people..
The game evolved from a smatering of groups where 5 was a reasonably large settlement, and no one really put in TONS of hours into grinding... into a game with a huge map, a huge amount of people online at all times.. Where people don't know /trust each other [how could they? previously most active people knew each other and would see/talk/run into each other often..]
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 10:32:58 am by Rift »
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 82