Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New mode discovered(by hacking)  (Read 1746 times)

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
New mode discovered(by hacking)
« on: November 29, 2009, 04:16:28 pm »

So there I was minding my own business, hacking as usual... And tried adventure mode hacking. So I switched first creature in array (adventurer) with random creature. I thought lets try possessing a creature. It worked. Until travel... Then something interesting kicked in: I was travelling either with groups of creatures or teleporting. When i enter some region. I turn into a creature (probably the first) so its like live a life randomly possessing creatures!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New mode discovered(by hacking)
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:21:08 pm »

Sounds more like a bug, but yea, wierd things are known to happen when messing with the raws and other stuff.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 04:30:01 pm »

Somewhere on the adventurer mode board someone reported they had turned into a fish once.

Which basically opens up the possibility to explore the oceans.

darius

• Bay Watcher
  • ^^
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 04:36:14 pm »

Looks like saving and reloading fixed you to that person. Gonna release util for other to play with :D

Edit: here it is, enjoy: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1642
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:42:16 pm by darius »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2009, 04:37:06 pm »

WOot! (marking this post by posting here)
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2009, 10:38:48 pm »

Somewhere on the adventurer mode board someone reported they had turned into a fish once.

Which basically opens up the possibility to explore the oceans.

You can easily add the amphibious or no breathe tag to dwarves and explore the oceans already.

It's pretty boring though. Pathfinding is also broken for dwarf mode.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:47:27 am »

man for a sec i tought you could build a fort WHILE being adventurer THAT would be a new mode :P
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Andir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:54:24 pm »

man for a sec i tought you could build a fort WHILE being adventurer THAT would be a new mode :P
Would make creating towers (with proper sight lines) easier... that's for sure.  Jump into "dwarf mode", appear in a hallway, and run up to the tower you just built to see what vision arc your peons have.  (While all your dwarfs admire your avatar and raise moral of course...)
"Having faith" that the bridge will not fall, implies that the bridge itself isn't that trustworthy. It's not that different from "I pray that the bridge will hold my weight."

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 08:22:15 pm »

Sounds more like a bug, but yea, wierd things are known to happen when messing with the raws and other stuff.
Hacking. Not modding.  Weirdness is guaranteed and expected with experimental hacking.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember