Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: burial of legendary champions  (Read 1641 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
burial of legendary champions
« on: November 29, 2009, 11:06:02 am »

ive read past threads on tombs, some sort of similar things have been suggested but i dont think this has exactly

Legendary champions should get private tombs, and should be buried with their armour still on and weapon in hand. An exception to this is if they have a child that will inherit their gear.

my reason for suggesting this, is that it will give adventurers and Kobolds a reason to raid tombs

It may also be worth considering burying dorfs with some of their possessions.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Mapleleaf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: burial of legendary champions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 01:00:01 pm »

Extra happy thoughts for all friends of the deceased? I guess that would be a logical result.

And I love this idea, since I tend to build my champions mausoleums and catacomb complexes, this would only make it seem more awe-inspiring.

AngryToad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 01:37:54 pm »

Extra happy thoughts for all friends of the deceased? I guess that would be a logical result.

Maybe, it could also function like a statue garden, giving happy thoughts to those who go to visit the heroes past or pray to them and such.

Just a though.

Anyway, it would help adventure mode along, because raiding old forts would seem more epic and less finding a bucket of adamantine on the front lawn.

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:12:43 am »

I love this idea! I actually plan on building tombs after my class!

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2009, 10:19:56 am »

as an adittional bonus, if dwarves got buried with their stuff, forts wouldnt get cluttered with dead dwarves belongings anymore.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2009, 04:55:39 pm »

I like it.

How about if any dwarf can get a fancy-pants burial if they just have a private tomb assigned to them?  If the tomb contains an armor rack, then their armor or clothing worn at time of death is put on it, and if there's a weapon rack, their weapon/shield gets hung there, and a coffer will be filled with their personal belongings from their other rooms when the rooms default to "unowned" status, and if the tomb is assigned to them before an engraver does the walls and floor, then he'll prefer to illustrate it with events directly pertaining to the buried party, etc.

Not just soldiers, but leaders, brokers, miners, masons, anyone can have a sweet mausoleum.
I brake for stumble bumblings

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2009, 09:49:05 pm »

Dwarves already get buried with their stuff if you give them a tomb (before they die, of course). Clothes will get shoved into cabinets, trinkets will get shoved into chests/etc and if there is not enough room in containers they drop everything on the floor.

They don't get buried with armor and weapons because those don't belong to the dwarf, they still belong to the fortress. I'm not sure if I like the idea of them keeping the armor or not (masterwork steel/adamantine armor does not grown on trees you know) but if it was made a toggle then everyone wins.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

RantingRodent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2009, 10:14:46 pm »

Dwarves already get buried with their stuff if you give them a tomb (before they die, of course). Clothes will get shoved into cabinets, trinkets will get shoved into chests/etc and if there is not enough room in containers they drop everything on the floor.

They don't get buried with armor and weapons because those don't belong to the dwarf, they still belong to the fortress. I'm not sure if I like the idea of them keeping the armor or not (masterwork steel/adamantine armor does not grown on trees you know) but if it was made a toggle then everyone wins.

If burial of armour and weapons depended on the presence of armour/weapons racks, that would basically be a toggle, right?  I like this idea as well, for much the same reasons others have mentioned.
Graphical Overhaul 0.31 DFFD | Bundle |  Thread (beta3)
Raw Patcher DFFD  | Thread (1.0)
Graphical Overhaul 40d DFFD | Bundle
ASCII Tileset 40d DFFD  | Thread (2.0)

kalida99

• Bay Watcher
  • ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2009, 10:32:01 pm »

Perhaps the warriors burial with weapons could tie in with ghosts?

A warrior whose tomb is desecrated from thievery would rise as a vengeful spirit and  never rest until his armor is returned. Maybe even give minor spiritual rewards for helping him return to the afterlife?
Let's see how those degenerate sophisticates handle a healthy dose of pure unreasoning violence.
— Commander Fleyitch

HatfieldCW

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 12:06:46 am »

Oh, man, that would be sweet.  You could even use the ownership tag as a link to the "soul", so that every piece of gear in the tomb would become a little bit haunted in some cases, which could feed a quest generator in adventure mode and make catacombs and mausoleums into sources of adventure.
I brake for stumble bumblings

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:17 am »

Well, im not sure if ghosts are a creature in vanilla df, but if they arnt then this could be a creature suggestion tied in with this.

If their tomb gets sacked or anything taken from the owner whos now dead, a "restless ghost" would be spawned at the tomb and haunt the whole fortress, or prehaps just the person who is currently weilding the equipment.
Now the ghost can be killed but it will respawn untill its crap is returned to the tomb. (like a ghost spawns each season or something)

Dwarf would get a  unhappy feeling once it sees a ghost, " saw a restless ghost".

Now, haver certain items that are worth way to much to have a ghost haunting them would be an exception, like circus peanuts a.k.a... you know...
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 01:34:15 pm »

I have to disagree with that last point. A champion's spirit won't care LESS about an item because it happens to be genuinely precious - far from it, s/he'll probably be especially attached to it.

Deal with the clowns before the champions start dying, and the loss of those peanuts won't be quite so bad.

The upcoming update will make dwarves get attached to particular items - that would be a sensible guide for what dwarven spirits would want to be buried with, although if those items are destroyed or lost, other offerings might eventually appease the spirit(but not nearly so easily as that one item they wanted).
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 06:36:54 pm »

If i were a dwarf fighting off hordes and hordes of ennemies with the same equipment i would love to be buried with it why? because in a way this armor and weapon were ALSO an extension of myself built specificly to protect me, myself and the other dwarf behind me. I would feel attach to these item as they saved my ass mutilple time and killed numerous ennemy. I would kno w the best of these items, each and ever detail of my armor and weapon, when you end up knowing more about your weapon than the other around you... *Insert what you may think here*
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Keevu

• Bay Watcher
  • I would rather be with trees.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 07:53:13 pm »

Good Ideas. What if the dwarves get attached to weapons and armour? Then maybe they will not part with the weapons ever? Even after death.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 08:30:10 pm »

Wait, this rises to angry BERZERK SPIRITS.
they run (float) around your fortress killing dwarves with their ghostly ghost powers!

And i added in that last part in my previous post to make it so you didnt lose very valuable objects.
But sacrificing to apease the ghost would be better so you can reclaim those items.

# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: [1] 2