Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How do dwarves replace equipment?  (Read 1657 times)

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
How do dwarves replace equipment?
« on: November 29, 2009, 04:00:15 am »

Hey guys,

At what point do dwarves replace equipment? I'm talking about copper picks (when I have steel ones), worn clothing etc.
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: How do dwarves replace equipment?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2009, 04:06:43 am »

For weapons and armor, dwarves don't replace equipment unless you specifically micromanage them to do so, because weapons and armor don't wear out.

For clothes, if it's available, they acquire or buy it on their own.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2009, 12:53:15 pm »

Generally dwarves will start looking to replace their clothes once they reach the xX stage of being worn (e.g. an xXPig Tail SockXx) or thereabouts, in my experience.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2009, 11:38:15 pm »

When clothes reach that xX stage, will they eventually decay into nothing, or do you have to manually find a way to discard them (like the drawbridge atomizer)?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2009, 01:39:05 am »

If I recall correctly, clothes that are used when they're at the XX stage will eventually simply vanish. If the dwarf discards his clothes before then, though, they'll stick around forever. They have to be "used up" to go away.

Getting rid of owned items is incredibly tricky, since dwarves won't dump them, stockpile them, or indeed touch them except when they need to be moved aside to make room for a building.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2009, 08:18:19 am »

A partial way around this problem is to give them cabinets/coffers/bags in their rooms. They should then put their old clothing in there instead of scattering it about, when getting new things, the keyword being should.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2009, 12:59:12 pm »

You can attempt to atom smash their clothing in the hallways, just watch out for passing dwarves. Or... you know... just kill the dwarf and reclaim his lousy underwear, whatever works.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2009, 02:07:49 pm »

The process of building the bridge to atom smash the clothing will get the clothing moved out of the path of the bridge. See also two posts above you: "Getting rid of owned items is incredibly tricky, since dwarves won't dump them, stockpile them, or indeed touch them except when they need to be moved aside to make room for a building. "

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2009, 04:03:30 pm »

The process of building the bridge to atom smash the clothing will get the clothing moved out of the path of the bridge. See also two posts above you: "Getting rid of owned items is incredibly tricky, since dwarves won't dump them, stockpile them, or indeed touch them except when they need to be moved aside to make room for a building. "

I wouldn't touch dwarven underpants that have been worn continually for 10 years either.  D:

CognitiveDissonance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2009, 09:19:33 pm »

Well, here's what I observed.
- If you designate a military-related item in a military dwarf's possession as "dump", it will be removed, at which point he/she will replace it (i used that to give my champion an artifact sword)
- Dwarves do store 'older' clothing in their cabinets, when available. Works best during economy.
Gotta try and dump someone's dress sometime...
Come and be amazed by this wonderful menagerie! Draw your own! Bring your favorite! The [Forgotten Beast Art Contest] is open for business!
Now also available - [The Legendary Artifact Art Contest]! It menaces! It has rings! It has craftsdwarfship!
I have a [YouTube] channel! It has Let's Plays and other stuff.

assimilateur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2009, 11:11:55 pm »

The difference is that military equipment isn't owned by the dwarfs, it's still the fort's property. Their clothes, however, are private property and hence, will not get dumped.

Also, I don't think cabinets are a sure-fire way of getting rid of clutter. If that were the case, then I don't think too many of us would be having that problem.

marksdwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 03:12:21 am »

Also, I don't think cabinets are a sure-fire way of getting rid of clutter. If that were the case, then I don't think too many of us would be having that problem.

Are you talking about DF or real life?  :P

Leonidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 04:04:56 am »

I'm pretty sure that the clothing-clutter problem is specifically tied to wrestling.  I recently made a quarter of my dwarves wrestlers, and only then did I see little unmoveable shoes and dress scattered around.  I bet that they pull the clothes off each other as they wrestle, and the game doesn't have any way to check for that or fix it.

So when faced with clothing clutter, the sensible option is to hide it.  The truly dwarven option is, of course, magma.

And there's no reason to upgrade picks from copper to steel, except perhaps for aesthetics.  I'm pretty sure that neither pick quality nor pick material have any effect on digging speed.

hitto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 12:14:30 pm »

And there's no reason to upgrade picks from copper to steel, except perhaps for aesthetics.  I'm pretty sure that neither pick quality nor pick material have any effect on digging speed.

I am wondering about the ecstatics... Will a masterpiece steel pick make the dwarf perma-happier than a copper base pick? Or will it only count the happy bonus once, as a "satisfying acquisition" ?

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 01:24:10 pm »

Dwarves don't get happy thoughts from high quality equipment, since they don't own their equipment. The only advantage to high quality equipment is in case they need to use it in combat - legendary miners equipped with steel picks are downright deadly, making them great emergency soldiers early in the game before you establish a military.

As for clothing clutter, the problem is that active military dwarves never perform the "Store Owned Item" job - the only way to make them put their clothes away is to remove them from the military and wait (which, unfortunately, is impossible if they're a Hero or Champion).
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:26:08 pm by Quietust »
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2