Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: The Flying Machine (Move zig!)  (Read 13488 times)

alfie275

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Flying Machine (Entry Requirements Posted)
« Reply #75 on: December 06, 2009, 11:04:13 am »

Room for more?
Here is my ship, the z-levels are labeled in red.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I dunno the exact specs, if someone could help with that it would be greatly apreciated, but it should be able to fly.

It has a ‼clown‼ heated balloon for lift and a goblin driven capstan powering the propellers for forwards thrust and steering.

It has a small living quarters for 5 dwarves and has a farm on the top.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2009, 03:07:06 pm by alfie275 »
I do LP of videogames!
See here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/MrAlfie275

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #76 on: December 06, 2009, 12:58:46 pm »

!!clown!!

‼you‼ for taking the lazy route of !! rather than ‼.

On any windows box, hold alt and type 19 on the numpad, then it will write it when you release alt. Is it THAT HARD to remember/use???
Eh?
Eh!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 06, 2009, 05:18:34 pm »

Alright, after tinkering around with this I've found a bit of an interesting system. Let us see what calculations this monstrosity will produce. Now note I designed this in a pixel editor because screw dealing with ASCII symbols. I'll do that when I know I'm in. This is just a proof of concept.

Turotatal Ostngira Issha

The bottom image is the bottom of the ship. The top is the top.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

As you can see, there is a bit of a logical problem with speed being based on horizontal thrust minus weight, as the majority of the weight is compensated by the upward lift. I fear this ship might be considered overpowered, but note that it can only go for five days before needing to restock. Any damage to the balloon is quite lethal, as every tile of lost air gets rid of 1.5 units of lift. All weapons are on the bottom, so any attacks from above meet no resistance. This is just to show the problem with using large scale ships and how one must bend the rules quite a bit to get the desired effects.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: December 06, 2009, 08:03:58 pm »

I stayed up way too long to finish this, but I'm finally getting this up. Hopefully you don't mind the absurd thrust output of the giant fan I slapped on. It extends throughout several z-levels, but I haven't done a z-map yet.

Leviathan

ø

The Leviathan. It may not be the biggest ship in the race, but it certainly has the most disciplined crew. Every single member was handpicked for their dutifulness, self discipline and loyalty. They were all trained in a fortress built especially to train them, and each has mastered several skills. As a sign of their great dedication, each dwarf has shaved all the hair on his or her head to a uniform, short length, like a buzz cut extended to the beard.

The most noticeable thing about the ship is the enormous steel fan inserted directly into the spine of the ship, which is the main thing driving it forward. Although the ship itself does not feature and open deck, it is still rather open with its massive racks of fans mounted inside it.

Inside is no less a wonder. The entire ship is incredibly clean. The furniture isn't so much furniture as it is the ship itself, seamlessly joining with the walls and floor. And everywhere is the sloshing of the wondrous machines powering the ship: The finest products of dwarven science, Miniaturized Perpetual Motion Machines! Capable of running on either water, booze, or both at the same time!

The Leviathan itself is designed with the intent to create an all-around superior ship. The features it boasts are as follows:

Nacelle System: The external nacelles are capable of turning, in order to provide thrust in any direction.

Nacellaic Landing: Since the ship's nacelles are capable of turning, it is designed to land on top of those nacelles' ends, where the exit portals are located. This gives it some rough-terrain landing capability as well, since the nacelles do not have to have the same orientation.

(Note: I will post a Z-level map of the ship later, so you can understand this more clearly)

Advanced Control Center: A large sphere on a rotating mount. With a heavy load of lead in the bottom, it is designed to stay stable even when the ship is being hurled about. Inside are somewhat delicate controls, designed to control the entire ship, including a powerful navigational computer" so that the ship can be steered even in zero-vision conditions.

Purpose-Built Furniture: Specially designed furniture means a minimal amount of objects getting hurled around in case of sudden violent motions or flying upside down(which the ship is entirely capable of, you just have to reverse the polarity put the fans into reverse gear.

Winch System: At four different points, the ship has a winch system at the exit portals. These allow it to hurl buckets down into large rivers and oceans to retrieve water to use as fuel, although using saltwater as fuel is a bad idea and so it should be purified in the Multipurpose Workshops first. When operated around the clock, each can provide up to 30 barrels' worth of water per turn.

Ballistae: Everybody knows what a ballista is. The Leviathan features several turret-mounted ballistae, in light and heavy varieties. The light ones turn faster but do not have the power(and thus range) of the heavy ballistae.

Abnormal Ammo: In addition to normal bolts, the ballistae can load incendiary and boozefrag bolts.

Incendiary: A booze-soaked cloth is wrapped around the bolt and set on fire before launching. Less penetration, but more fire.

Boozefrag: A custom-made bolt, with the bolt's head being unusually big. Inside it is hollow and contains booze at high pressure. There is an internal fuse system, which only the siege engineer Dangerneers can operate with proper accuracy, which ignites the booze and causing the specially-made bolt head to fragment and shower the target in sharp pieces of metal and flame. A non-siege engineer does not have the skills to use the system properly, so it might not detonate at the optimal moment. In addition, the bolts are unusually heavy and therefore cause a reduction in range.

Reverse Gear: In case you want to go backwards. Or downwards really fast. Several failsafes are installed so that it doesn't happen by accident.

CODE ZURSULLÛRIT: A rumored third function, all that is known about Code Severedspines is that it is connected to the nacelles somehow.

(Note: I hope the GM doesn't force me to reveal it to anyone other than himself. The reactions of whoever gets hit by it first would be priceless)

Code: (Top View) [Select]
BBB
BXB = Heavy Ballista, X denotes direction
BBB

BB
BX = Light Ballista, X denotes direction

X = Staircase(for landing)

ø = Fan(0 Weight, 2 Lift, requires 1 Power)

ΩΩΩ
ΩΩΩ = Perpetual Motion Machine(2 weight per tile, generates 30 Power
ΩΩΩ    requires 5 units of fuel per turn)

=
= = Nacelle Connector(transfers power at no loss, can turn)

/ = Wing Section | = Wing Section \ = Wing Section

U = Winch System(and rope and bucket)

/――\
|Дћ|
|юЊ| = Control Center(2 weight per tile)
\――/

∩∩∩∩∩
∩∩∩∩∩
∩∩∩∩∩ = Multipurpose Workshop ░ = Storage Space █ = Plain Empty Space
∩∩∩∩∩
∩∩∩∩∩

/------------------\
|------------------| = Massive Fan(whopping 855 units of thrust! Plot-device-y, eh?)
\------------------/

/\
                                  //\\
                          |      //øø\\      |
                         /ø\    //øΩΩΩ\\    /ø\
                  |      øøø====øøøΩΩΩøø====øøø      |
                 /|\     øøø====øøøΩΩΩøø====øøø     /|\
          |     /øøø\    øøø  øøøøΩΩΩøøøøø  øøø    /øøø\     |
         /ø\   //øøø\\    X  øøøøøΩΩΩøøøøøø  X    //øøø\\   /ø\
         øøø===øøøøøøø       øøøøøΩΩΩøøøøøø       øøøøøøø===øøø
         øøø===øøΩΩΩøø     BBBøøøøøΩΩΩøøøøBBB     øøΩΩΩøø===øøø
         øøø   øøΩΩΩøøøø░░░B↑BøøøøøΩΩΩøøøøB↑B░░░øøøøΩΩΩøø   øøø
          X    øøΩΩΩøøøø░░░BBB░░░øøΩΩΩøø░░BBB░░░øøøøΩΩΩøø    X
               øøøøøøø    ░░░░░░░░øøøøø░░░░░░░    øøøøøøø
              BB∩∩∩∩∩BB    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░    BB∩∩∩∩∩BB
              B←∩∩∩∩∩B←   /╥╤╤╥█╥╤/――\θ█θ█θ█θ\   B→∩∩∩∩∩B→
  |            ░∩∩∩∩∩░   //╥╤╤╥█╥╤|Дћ|θ█θ█θ█θ\\   ░∩∩∩∩∩░            |
 /|\          ░░∩∩∩∩∩░  ///╥╤╤╥█╥╤|юЊ|θ█θ█θ█θ\\\  ░∩∩∩∩∩░░          /|\
/øøø\        ░░░∩∩∩∩∩   ///░░░░░░░\――/░░░░░░░\\\   ∩∩∩∩∩░░░        /øøø\
øøøøø     øøøøø░  ░░░░  ///░░░░░░øøøøøø░░░░░░\\\  ░░░░  ░øøøøø     øøøøø
ø░ΩΩΩ    øøøøøø    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░øøΩΩΩø░░░░░░░░░░░░░    øøøøøø     ΩΩΩ░ø
ø░ΩΩΩ====øøΩΩΩøø░░░░░░░░░    ░░░░øøΩΩΩø░░░░    ░░░░░░░░░øøΩΩΩøø====ΩΩΩ░ø
BBΩΩΩ====øøΩΩΩøøø░░░░     BB  ░░øøøΩΩΩøø░░  BB     ░░░░øøøΩΩΩøø====ΩΩΩBB
B←░░░   øøøΩΩΩøø        ░░B←░  ░øøΩΩΩøøø░  ░B→░░        øøΩΩΩøøø   ░░░B→
øøøøø    øøøøøø       ø░░░░░░░░░øøΩΩΩøøø░░░░░░░░░ø       øøøøøø    øøøøø
 øXø        øøøø     øøø  ░X░  ░øøΩΩΩøøø░  ░X░  øøø     øøø         øXø
  U           øøø  øøøøøø  U  ░░░░øΩΩΩø░░░  U  øøøøøø  øøø           U
              øøøøøøøøøøøø    ░░░░øΩΩΩø░░░    øøøøøøøøøøøø
             BBBøøΩΩΩΩΩΩøø    ░░░░øΩΩΩø░░░    øøΩΩΩΩΩΩøøBBB
             B←BøøΩΩΩΩΩΩø /------------------\ øΩΩΩΩΩΩøøB→B
             BBBøøΩΩΩΩΩΩø |------------------| øΩΩΩΩΩΩøøBBB
              øøøøøøΩΩΩøø \------------------/ øøΩΩΩøøøøøø
               øøøøøΩΩΩøøø   ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░   øøøΩΩΩøøøøø
                 øøøΩΩΩøøøøøø░░░░BBBBBB░░░░øøøøøøΩΩΩøøø
                   øøøøøøøøøøø░░░B↓BB↓B░░░øøøøøøøøøøø
                      øøøøøøø    BBBBBB    øøøøøøø

The stats are:

Weight: 860

Lift: 998-1118(depending on nacelle facing, could be 878 if they all faced downwards)
   Lift minus Weight: 138-258

Thrust: 855-975(depending on nacelle facing, could be 735 if the all faced backwards)
   Thrust minus Weight: -5-115

Perpetual Motion Machines: 18

Storage Space: 258
   Food: 53(7.95 days' worth, which pretty much means 8 days)
   Booze: 180(2 days' worth of fuel)
   Ammo: 25(125 ballista bolts, 30 of which are boozefrags)

Crew: 20 dwarves
   1 Captain(Main Navigator/Main Commander/Diplomat)
   1 Second Mate(Secondary Navigator/Secondary Commander)
   1 Chef(Cook/Secondary Diplomat/Tertiary Commander)
   17 Dangerneers(Siege Operator, Some Combat Skills, plus crafting skills:
      4 Carpenters
      1 Herbalist
      3 Siege Engineers
      2 Woodcutters
      3 Mechanics
      1 Metalcrafter
      1 Miners
      2 Brewers

EDIT: Ship was out of date. Giant fan is now properly 3 tiles wide.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 10:25:02 am by Boksi »
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: December 07, 2009, 12:06:29 am »

Boksi... that thing IS the biggest one.

Also, it can't possibly fly with negative thrust and speed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: December 07, 2009, 12:13:59 am »

Alright, I'm going to get to work now, sorry for the delay- this weekend I put up Christmas lights and got an NES for my birthday. Cool stuff, even if Zelda keeps deleting my saves and Metal Gear flashes its password for a split second before closing.

...anyway, I'm getting to work right now approving the massive waves of text I've been given. Remember you ship has to be in TEXT to be approved. Cutoff is when I've finished approving. Whenever that is.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #81 on: December 07, 2009, 01:04:13 am »

Oh, my, goodness.

Boski, what the hell? That thing's a monster!

I mean, at least my ship is built with a bit of practicality. I mean, what if something happens to your generators, or the primary fan is damaged? What then?

I at least have backup rotors per engine wing; and it'll still stay in the sky one way or another. Boiler failure, however; I just hope I'm above water or some really soft sand when that happens. At least there would be enough power from 1 boiler, if I still have all my engines, to soften the crash landing.

BTW, when doing the math; with lift, negative numbers are allowed, since it's signifying that the engines are making the weight of the ship negative. As for forward propulsion, it would have to be positive, since it's pushing; unless you have impellers or engines that pull or something.

Sorry if I sounded rude. I can't wait for this to start.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 01:08:17 am by Itnetlolor »

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: December 07, 2009, 01:23:38 am »

Sorry for DP, but... whatever. Some notes:

There are still rules you haven't been warned about. It's part of the concept for this game that there always will be, plus a lot of GM judgment on the quality of your calvinball-ing. The reason for this is that the concept of flight isn't understood by your cultures; it's a mysterious thing. in the same spirit, eye candy that you ship would 'realistically' need but the rules don't require, is encouraged and may benefit you in mysterious ways.

I also don't intend cargo to have weight. Again, we'll go to more detail next time... right now, I'm focusing on getting rules that sorta work and managing all the ASCII moving I have to do. Like I said, next time will be more balanced, and remember that the slowest ships here also seem to least likely to suffer from ‼fun‼.

And don't worry. If anyone went 4128 tiles a day, they would have to start worrying about relativity, not to mention becoming vapor, or flying wildly out of control on account of their lift roll.

Yeah, I haven't really been checking the math much. Again, rules will be tighter, clearer, and more balanced next edition.

NTS: Maybe add a rule for making a roll to have meat-labor increase their efforts. Not in this edition though.

Pillowkiller: Please provide text version.
Luke_Prowler: Cool! This should work. Again though, please provide a textual drawing.
RAM: Alright. Normally, speed doesn't subtract weight if you have lift, but... maybe that will have to change. But yeah, speed of 10 seems balanced enough.
GlyphGryph: PM me if I got the rules for your ship wrong.
Florian: Hmm... no. Since when did pumps provide lift?
Alphie: I didn't check on whether your ship was in line with the rules, but remember I need text!

Finishing the rest tomorrow. Probably.

Remember everyone: Just because I accepted your ship, doesn't mean that the math works out and it will fly!
And if you misunderstood the weight/thrust rules, I might let it go... or I might not, depending on how your ship works.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
Re: The Flying Machine (Changes needed for entries posted)
« Reply #83 on: December 07, 2009, 01:55:16 am »

:( how do I post that in text? I have it saved on AsciiDraw, but I'm not sure on how to post that with text. I'm not even sure those symbols are on my computer...

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: December 07, 2009, 06:30:41 am »

Yeah, that one was just me trying to design the most ridiculous thing possible. I'm going to design a much more sensible one later today.

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: December 07, 2009, 07:43:49 am »

I'd like to join!

-Ship (tt not working)
Code: [Select]
      PPPPPPP
      PPPPPPP
     --------
     |QQESSSH\
  <==|FSSSSSAS\
     -----------
        |   | ARC
       _|___|_
P - Propeller
Q - Crew quaters
E - engine room for propellers
S - Storeage (first 3 are for crew ie food, other stuff. Next line down, the 5 S's are for trade goods)
H - Helm, has window in front hull.
<== - Double Lignite Thurster with a Bauxite Propeler
AS - Ammo hopper for Auto Rock Cannon, also contains controls, has a window in front hull plate.
ARC - Aruto Rock Cannon.
Top section of propeller:
P  P  P
 P P P
  PPP
PPPPPPP
  PPP
 P P P
P  P  P
Has staic wings on the side
    /===
   /====
  /=====
 /======
x2
-Weight 63
-Lift 77 Lift bonus 14
-food useage: 4 units a day/fuel useage: 2 per turn
-Food:40
-Number of occupants:1 navigator/Trader, 1 Auto Rock Cannon operator, 1 Pilot
-Auto Rock Cannon, propels small pieces of brocken stone at a target.

-The Gyrpcopter is the work of Thod Hemintite, a mechanic from Graymists. His invetion uses thrust from a double lignite coal thurster, lift from a double copter blade (spinning in opersite directions so it doesn't spin around) and 2 wings on the side that fold beside the ship. Because of it's design it can't launch or fly in really bad weather. Also on board is Navigator and Trader Vabok Rakustfikod. Zaneg Mafolalmosh who looks after the propellers and thrusters. Iton Umarmosus the seige enginner who designed the auto rock cannon

-Unicodesymbol: ☣

-Thod was an Average mechanic to say the least when he started out, in till he got a vision and disappeared into a workshop and stayed in there for a year. The end reult was The Gyrocopter. He now pilots it, make trade runs with more efficiancy than the trad caravans of his home fort. He named it Elf Bane as he made the hull out of treated wood. The treated method of the wood is "Probably what those pansies wouldn't like" was Thod's only explaination.

-Other items: Money (Thod), personal items (in crews quaters), trade goods/trade tables etc (navigatos room)
« Last Edit: December 07, 2009, 08:23:11 am by Metal Militia »
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #86 on: December 07, 2009, 08:06:18 am »

Since I slightly modified the wing size earlier, here is the text version, updated, and everything all in one spot.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eh?
Eh!

Boksi

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone's dumb in their own special way
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: December 07, 2009, 10:23:16 am »

Oh, my, goodness.

Boski, what the hell? That thing's a monster!

Why, thank you! No, really, I'm taking that as a compliment!

Anyway, I'll be addressing your points in a second, but first Barbarossa:

"Lift minus Weight: 138-258" means that it can vary from 138 to 258, depending on the alignment of the nacelles. It could go down to 13 if they all thrust upwards, but in that case it'd be more efficient to use the reverse gear anyway.

Right. Now, onto Itny's concerns. Besides the fact that I have the equipment and personnel to fix everything, each engine powers less than thirty fans, so if one PMM shuts down I can divert power from the other ones. Remember, each 3x3 machine is an isolated unit. I fail to see how something except a fuel shortage could cause a serious problem.

As for the giant fan, well, it's a giant fan made out of steel. It's easily the least fragile thing onboard the entire ship.

Also, isn't Bloodfist at 1/3rd scale? Or am I wrong? Anyway, I'll do the Z-Map later. I have to update the Mad Wizard's Arena.
[BODY_DETAIL:NAIL:NAIL:NAIL]
[HAMMER:HAMMER:HAMMER]

[TSU_NOUN:nose]
[SUN_TSU_NOUN:art:war]

florian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: December 07, 2009, 11:26:54 am »

I'm submitting this one again. Would that work, using the high-speed goblin and the rule-breaking thrusters?
z+0   z-1
  _     i
 /#\   
|óπb|  
|%.%|  
|%.%|  i⸫i
 \ɵ/   ⸫+⸫

Spoiler: Legend (click to show/hide)

Crew of two, one sleeping, one steering.

The goblin-ball engine has a ball with a [SPEED:1] goblin inside. The ball is one-way mirrored, so the goblins sees the crew, but the crew does not see the goblin. The goblin thus races forward and powers the ship. Because invaders neither need food nor sleep, he always runs, providing about 800 power.

Spoiler: Stats (click to show/hide)

I think I got the highest Thrust:Weight ratio.

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: December 07, 2009, 06:23:31 pm »

Z+0
───┬─── ───┬───
───┼─── ───┼───
───┼─── ───┼───
  ╔╪╦═╗<╔═╦╪╗
  ╬☼║X╠╪╣X║☼╬
  ╬+╚╪╝+╚╪╝+╬
  ╬/===+===/╬
  ╬╗òû0*===╔╬
   ╥+++++╥╤║
   ╨+++++╤╤║