Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9

Author Topic: The Flying Machine (Move zig!)  (Read 13493 times)

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
Re: The Flying Machine (Entry Requirements Posted)
« Reply #45 on: December 02, 2009, 09:51:08 pm »

For example by my math for your design the weight adds up to 50 (a 5 by 7 shell + 1 for the ram + 14 for thrusters outside the shell) and your thrust is 44 which means your speed is -6. Clearly I've missed something but I don't see what?
The thrusters have no weight, and I forgot about the floors. I'll edit that now.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 02, 2009, 10:25:16 pm »

...don't forget folks. There always has been one limit on large ships...

They need somewhere to land. So be careful in the hills and mountains- lest you find yourself buzzing around with your last fuel in the hopes of a smooth plateau, or using your cannons to clear trees from the landing site.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2009, 12:44:43 am »

AHA! here's an idea that makes my ship work!

The walls (excluding the fortified front) are made of a cheaper metal to reduce weight, trading armor for more speed!

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 03, 2009, 03:27:01 am »

For example by my math for your design the weight adds up to 50 (a 5 by 7 shell + 1 for the ram + 14 for thrusters outside the shell) and your thrust is 44 which means your speed is -6. Clearly I've missed something but I don't see what?
The thrusters have no weight, and I forgot about the floors. I'll edit that now.

Where does it say this? I see wings and balloons being no weight but it says other sections weigh 1. Hmm I still think it's borked for any kind of fuel based thruster as the amount of fuel you need for a turn is half the weight of the thrust :P May have to change my design to dwarf power like everyone else (although every three thrusters needing a dwarf is heavy for that too)
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 03, 2009, 08:36:10 am »

Usānkogan, "Murderedboat", a Whale Dirigible
This is a Whale Dirigible. All Craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encrusted with Whale Chunk Fortifications and encircled by Hollowed-out Whales. This object menaces with ropes of Whale Meat. On the item is an image of a dwarf and dwarf skeletons in Whale Bone Floors. The Dwarf is surrounded by the Dwarf Skeletons.

WW        WW
 WWWW  __  WWWW
WWWWWW*++*WWWWWW
WWWWWW++++WWWWWW
WWWWWW++++WWWWWW
WWWWWW++++WWWWWW
WWWWWW++++WWWWWW
WWWWWW++++WWWWWW
WWTTTW*++*WTTTWW
 WTTW  __  WTTW
 WTTW      WTTW
  TT        TT
 TTTT      TTTT
TTTTTT    TTTTTT
TT  TT    TT  TT
T    T    T    T

98 Whale Lift(W) 98 lift 0 weight
50 Tail Thrust(T) 100 Thrust, 50 weight
24 Whale Bone Floor(+ 24 storage, 24 weight
4 Whale Meat Ropes(*) lowers platform to ground, 8 weight
4 Whale Chunk Fortifications(_) Protect Archers, 8 weight

Totals:
98 Lift
100 Thrust
24 tiles
90 Weight

Crew:
2 Hollowed out whales: 2 rations food per day
1 Dwarf Bonemason: 1 ration food per day
3 Dwarf Skeletons: 0 ration food per day

1 tile of crew quarters
4 tiles of standing room
4 tiles of Whale Bone bolts
1 tile Whale Soap block
14 tiles food
4 Whale Bone Crossbows(carried)

Speed: 10
Supplies: Food for 16 days
Armament 4 crossbows with 100 bolts

To prove the virtues of persistence over effort, the Undead Union have entered a team consisting of one Bonemason, 3 skeletons, and two whales with all the unnecessary parts removed(still alive)Identities have been withheld to protect the those concerned against discrimination.

Oh, and I completely forgot, overland symbol is W.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:33:52 am by RAM »
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 03, 2009, 07:28:37 pm »

Just posting to say that on Saturday, I'll (probably) make a big effort to make sure everyone's flying machine works and get the game underway.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2009, 12:18:58 am »

Good thing I finally got to work on it again.

Took a bit of math from http://www.heli-chair.com/aerodynamics_101.html to calculate a single engine; of course, assuming each prop is at least 3 meters wide, and that the horsepower behind each engine is based on what is used in their place in construction (40-per-windmill, 100-per-waterwheel).

Here's what I came up with using all engines (Up-12, Fore-4) (lift numbers exclude weight of the ship; rounded to nearest):
Forward (WW) Engines- 4243
Upward (Wind) Engines- 5091
And tossing in the mass of the ship (empty weight):
Fore- 1107
Up- 1955

If it's traveling plenty light, it'll haul ass. ;D

And this is without booze added either to enhance the burn.

EDIT:
HUZZAH! And my stats are done.

What I have made/chosen so far:
-Symbol: I'm torn between using either β or Б or Ҕ or ҕ
    Stats:
    • Weight- 3136
    • Lift- 5091 Upward Power; -1955 Weight at full power
    • Thrust and Speed- 4243 power; 1107 Forward power at full throttle
    • Fuel and usage rate- Boiler area = 45 units-per-boiler x 2 (twin) boilers. Pre-filled/heated before takeoff (a full 7-height amount of water per boiler), enough to remain airborne for 6.5 days without landing, provided no use of the well or nearby water source. Provided a water source, suspend decrease of days as long as over a water source.
    • Food- 90 spaces/barrels used (if scaling is correct), each barrel can store up to 5 meals each, 27 occupants to be fed 3 meals daily. Total time without restock = 5.556 days.
    • Number of occupants- 7 primary crew members (Owner of ship included) + 20 Military/Maintainence Engineers = 27 occupants
    • Weapons and Ammo- Ballista and crossbows. Multi-role areas may support additional firepower where necessary.
All the information you'll need (backstory, colors, assumed cargo size, and such) is right in my sig.

EDIT:
Okay, I just realized something. I'm going to need a source of income, so in one of my multi-role spots, I'll have to pre-designate a raw materials (wood, cloth and stone) stockpile, and a small cluster of workshops (which will weigh down the ship a tad), and pump out some crafts for trade so we can keep ourselves well-stocked in food and fuels (scraps will be recycled to keep the boilers heated), and the stone leftovers will be kept for either flak for catapult, or rocks to throw from the ship as ammo; otherwise, we'll just jettison those (of course, keeping some to act as a water filter).

Good thing I noticed that little tidbit, otherwise, my captain would be broke by the first trade-off. I mean, he's rich enough to own the ship, but he's not rich enough to keep it stocked on it's own. Alright men, I hope you're enough of craftsmen to make us some moolah.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 02:58:28 pm by Itnetlolor »

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2009, 12:53:13 am »

does this mean you have 5091 lift and 4243 speed?!

Mine's incredibly weak and almost entirely devoted to wings in order to get a measly 24 speed.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2009, 01:08:25 am »

does this mean you have 5091 lift and 4243 speed?!

Mine's incredibly weak and almost entirely devoted to wings in order to get a measly 24 speed.
And tossing in the mass of the ship (empty weight):
Fore- 1107
Up- 1955

Basically, what I calculated was the empty weight of the ship, without cargo and crew to weigh it down; these are the estimated speeds of each way (upward and forward) if the ship were empty.

That's why I made he statement that if it's empty, it'll haul. But we need some food, water, booze, and crew to get this fist sailing.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2009, 01:12:15 am »

A large world isn't even a third that large. You could win this competition in a third of a day.

However, with cargo this may be a different story.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2009, 01:17:25 am »

Let's not forget, 27 blood-thristy drunken numbnuts on board can cause a bit of a commotion (if random events are involved). It would be enough of a handful making sure the crew don't go nuts when there's a lack of activity or worse, beer.

Don't take it personally if I raid any of you guys; we just need beer.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2009, 01:40:19 am »

Let's not forget, 27 blood-thristy drunken numbnuts on board can cause a bit of a commotion (if random events are involved). It would be enough of a handful making sure the crew don't go nuts...

Hm, thanks for the idea.

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2009, 01:50:39 am »

Let's not forget, 27 blood-thristy drunken numbnuts on board can cause a bit of a commotion (if random events are involved). It would be enough of a handful making sure the crew don't go nuts...
Hm, thanks for the idea.
I figured tossing a bit of a handicap like that ought to make things more interesting for larger ships, and to balance the game against the smaller ships as well.

The larger the ship, or the more unbalanced against others it is, the more likely random events would occur to it. More crew can also be a major factor to it as well. Added backstory or complexity can also be a factor; otherwise, just make the random events define random.

An example:
*A really bad roll occurs*
"A sock from out of nowhere slams into a propeller, jamming it's output, there is a fire risk..."
*decent roll made*
"No fire is caused, however, the output is reduced severely, lose 300 power" (300 out of 424 actually, according to my math).

This ought to motivate more complex and larger ships to be made to add *fun* to the game.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 01:54:27 am by Itnetlolor »

qwertyuiopas

• Bay Watcher
  • Photoshop is for elves who cannot use MSPaint.
    • View Profile
    • uristqwerty.ca, my current (barren) site.
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2009, 01:55:52 am »

Maybe consider dividing the final thrust/lift by the total weight, then tossing in a multiplier?

10 thousand thrust is nothing if it is on a 100 thousand weight vehicle, due to momentum.

Alternatively, a larger ship is much easier to hit than a smaller one.

And a smaller one could easily use gravity to dodge incoming projectiles, especially if it is a winged one, since with wings it can convert the gravitational potential energy into downwards momentum, and then redirect that to forwards momentum...

Balloon-based vehicles would likely have to deal with air resistance, and very large winged ones would require a VERY long runway to take off, to pick up speed on.
Eh?
Eh!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2009, 02:21:16 am »

Fun, in at least this edition of the game, should be fairly evenly distributed. Mostly right now, I think your best defense against damage is redundancy. But we'll see what kind of mood I'm in when we get a seriously asymmetrically damaged ship. :)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 9