Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I nominated "Urist McDwarf" for the GameFAQs character battle.  (Read 7713 times)

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: I nominated "Urist McDwarf" for the GameFAQs character battle.
« Reply #30 on: December 02, 2009, 01:16:40 pm »

Where is the link to get in on the fun?

Narmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 03, 2009, 12:02:23 am »

Where is the link to get in on the fun?
http://www.gamefaqs.com/features/nominate_entry

Here you go, be sure to register.
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #33 on: December 03, 2009, 12:18:38 am »

What I'm curious to know is, how would Urist McDwarf even be represented in the character battle?  As the classic DF smiley-face ASCII Dwarf, or as a fan-made rendition?
Sanity is for the weak.

Halmie

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb!
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: December 03, 2009, 02:49:30 am »

I would say the smiley face.
Meh.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 03, 2009, 05:42:47 pm »

Smiley would be most appropriate, I think.  That or the most iconic piece of DF fanart we have so far.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Narmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 03, 2009, 05:45:03 pm »

I would say the smiley face.
Agreed. But it may confuse the voters who are so used to Final Fantasy's SHINY CGI GRFIX.

....Or it may entice them to look the game up, out of pure curiosity. 8)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 03, 2009, 05:52:59 pm »

+1 Urist, Armok, Ironblood

We will know minor success when it stops asking you if you meant "Charizard" when you put in Armok.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 03, 2009, 09:12:37 pm »

I expect if we put up an image of a smiley face the moderators will think it's a joke and discard it. We need a fanart search!

Edit: It has been a very long time since I tried to join a site that requires an address. I made sure I'd never do it again; spam explosion.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 09:22:29 pm by Nivm »
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 03, 2009, 09:21:39 pm »

How about one of the dwarves from Three Panel Soul?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 03, 2009, 10:35:51 pm »

I figure a smiley, but the 800x600 smiley instead of the smaller one.  That one looks more like a dwarf than the other. 

I figure in the unlikely chance we do get enough votes even to be in as a wildcard, the GameFAQs folks will at least look at the game and realize we are actually serious about the tiny little 10x12 smiley with a beard.  Fanart I don't think they would consiter canon enough to use. 

If they need to use some kind of actual sprite they could always use that example dwarf tile that comes with vanilla I suppose.

EDIT: And that sure as hell looks retro.  If we get placed against a relative unknown for the first few fans of old school games could very well vote our guy just because.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2009, 10:38:14 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 04, 2009, 12:21:06 am »

I suggest mayday graphics. Show the entire dwarf part of the tileset. And do what I do, where you give wrestlers a red headband like Rambo to distinguish them from recruits.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Moose Fisher

• Bay Watcher
  • [DEBUG ERROR: THIS TEXT DOES NOT EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 04, 2009, 12:25:40 am »

We also have the images from the intro sequence.  The only thing I worry about is misleading people on what the game looks like.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

We should also tell them to look into Boatmurdered and the other stories.

EDIT: In response to Sensei suggesting fan art:

from the wiki
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 12:32:06 am by Moose Fisher »
"I'll bet ye've got all sorts o' barmy questions! (She mimics your heroic stance) Greetin's, I have some questions... can ye tell me about this place? Who's the Lady o' Pain? I'm lookin' fer the magic Girdle of Swank Iron, have ye seen it? Do ye know where a portal ta the 2,817th Plane o' the Abyss might be? Do ye know where the Holy Flamin' Frost-Brand Gronk-Slayin' Vorpal Hammer o' Woundin' an' Returnin' an' Shootin'-Lightnin'-Out-Yer-Bum is?"
-Elderly Hive Dweller

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 04, 2009, 12:28:16 am »

Maybe some Boatmurdered fanart? Most of the pictures seem to be cover art rather than real footage, so we can use fanart. Any good fanart, so long as it is in fact good.

...and yeah, I too was originally mislead to think that DF was played from a side view, like Dig Dug.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

HideousBeing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 04, 2009, 01:17:15 am »

Nominated. Does anyone have a SA account? Not sure if it's cool to post stuff like this in their DF thread, but I do know they love DF.

...losing is fun!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4