Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Encouraging markdwarfs to practice  (Read 714 times)

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Encouraging markdwarfs to practice
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:33:51 pm »

Well crafted archery targets? Archery targets close to barracks? IN barracks? Ammo piles near archery target? Whats the secret?

EDIT: Speaking of marksdwarfs, my two just earned titles, one being "The virginal eviscerator"

EDIT: Well, since I'm asking questions... Can animals be adopted if they are chained up?
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:45:45 pm by evanvolker »

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Encouraging markdwarfs to practice
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42:23 pm »

Put the archers on duty and station them next to hostile/wild creatures.

Otherwise, just make certain that the targets are close to food, drink, and wherever they hang out when they aren't practicing or on duty, so they don't spend much time in transit. Actual practicing at targets comes down to the dwarves in question.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 09:42:50 pm »

First and foremost, are you complaining that they aren't practicing enough or that they're not practicing at all?

If not enough:
Are they getting enough booze?  Enough food?  Rest?  Etc...?

If not at all:
Also, are they on duty or off?  You're not ordering them to do something else?  You defined the archery range?

Wiki article 'Archery Target' for you referencing pleasure.
http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Archery_target

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 09:43:31 pm »

The number one inducement of all time appears to be wrestling every scrap of clothing out of their grubby hands.

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 09:47:22 pm »

Just wanted encouragement for them. An "optimal" set-up for them. They are practicing on and off so its not a problem.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 11:34:30 pm »

If they are practicing, then as I said about all you can do is make certain they don't have to walk very far to get to everything they need. Military dwarves currently spend a massive amount of time "on break", presumably to make up for the fact that they may have to spend arbitrary amounts of time on duty.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

herpderp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2009, 02:20:12 pm »

Remember that if you have multiple targets built in a line, and you want multiple dorfs to practice on them at the same time, you must declare EACH target as an archery range. Simply overlapping all the targets with one archery range space isn't enough.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 02:35:55 pm »

EDIT: Well, since I'm asking questions... Can animals be adopted if they are chained up?

Yes, I believe they follow standard rules.  Any animal that comes into contact with the dwarves might be adopted by one.  Cats adopt their own owners whereas everything else must be put up for adoption from the z-stocks/animals screen.