Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: My dwarves aren't storing food in barrels?  (Read 818 times)

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
My dwarves aren't storing food in barrels?
« on: November 28, 2009, 04:55:59 pm »

I have set up 3 stockpiles for food: 1 for plants and seeds, 1 for drinks, 1 for meat +fat +lye +cooked meals
The drinks and miscellaneous stockpiles are fine, but my plants stockpile is being weird. There are about 20-30 barrels on it, but my dwarves refuse use any more barrels with it. So most of it is just food lying there and being a bad use of space. I have an excess of barrels in my furniture stockpile, and in my stockpile settings I have max barrels set to the highest amount it can go (121).
All my previous forts used this 3 stockpile setup for food, but nothing like this has occured before.

for mods, I use mayday 40d16 and orc mod. This is the first time I've used orcs by the way. I also can't create high boots for some reason.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: My dwarves aren't storing food in barrels?
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 05:30:49 pm »

Make sure you don't have too many barrels "Reserved" from the Stock(p)ile settings menu.

As for not being able to make high boots, it happens for some civilizations.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 06:40:06 pm »

Every stockpile I make has the reserved barrels/bins at 0. I left that setting untouched mainly because I don't know how to use it.

Reese

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 06:52:35 pm »

Every stockpile I make has the reserved barrels/bins at 0. I left that setting untouched mainly because I don't know how to use it.

that would be your problem... that's the maximum number of allowed barrels, dorfs never reserve more than one empty barrel in a stock pile (though you might end up with more empties as food is eaten) boost the barrel limit up to maximum and your dorfs should start using them again.
All glory to the Hypno-Toady!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 07:02:05 pm »

The "reserved barrels/bins" setting is global and applies to all stockpiles everywhere, while the "max bins/barrels" setting is per-stockpile and simply determines the maximum number of barrels that will ever be assigned to the stockpile.

If the "max" setting for the stockpile is high enough to fill the entire stockpile and the "reserved" setting is zero, then the only thing that'll prevent stuff from being put into barrels is if there aren't any available barrels or if the stack size is larger than 10 (and for plants, stack size will never exceed 6 unless you're using fertilizer).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

glueheaded

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 10:36:54 pm »

Well thanks very much for the suggestions guys, but apparently the problem appears to have fixed itself. How strange.