Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: room value - smoothed stone vs rock blocks  (Read 600 times)

dimdem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
room value - smoothed stone vs rock blocks
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:35:15 pm »

I'm sketching out some ideas for setting up my noble rooms - unfortunately I don't have much space and want to make sure I can maximize room quality with the space I have.

Will the walls of their rooms be more valuable if they're made of smoothed native stone or made from rock blocks?  (the stone in question will be rhyolite in both cases).  In other words, should I dig out the rooms and smooth the walls, or should I dig out the walls as well and replace them with constructed block walls?  Thanks!

evanvolker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: room value - smoothed stone vs rock blocks
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 03:39:26 pm »

A block's value is fairly low compared to an engraved stone, even with a fairly unskilled engraver.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 03:47:39 pm »

I think smoothed stone and rock blocks are the same in value. The smoothed stone is preferable, because you can engrave an image on it.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

dimdem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 03:56:11 pm »

Gotcha, thanks guys!  I was planning to stay away from engraving since I remember it looking so ugly... but seems like it looks nice in Mayday, so I'll stick with this  :)

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2009, 05:50:23 pm »

Gotcha, thanks guys!  I was planning to stay away from engraving since I remember it looking so ugly... but seems like it looks nice in Mayday, so I'll stick with this  :)

You can also toggle engravings showing up as symbols or just plain wall, either with [d] or with the init file ([hide engravings]?)
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod