Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Misc token questions - Entity ARMOR(etc); ITEM_WHATEVER  (Read 780 times)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Misc token questions - Entity ARMOR(etc); ITEM_WHATEVER
« on: November 28, 2009, 09:54:12 am »

One major question, one relatively minor.

The major one(so named because I couldn't find an answer for it on the Wiki or by searching here): In entity files, ARMOR(, HELM, etc...) tokens have an optional RARITY attribute. What are the possible values of this attribute? Haven't been able to find a listing of it. And what does that rarity do - does it affect anything beyond the proportions in which the items are generated on new units?

Secondly: I'm trying to put in a collection of small gear for a smaller-than-normal race to use, but I only have a few to go in each. Do I have to make separate files for ITEM_WEAPONs vs ITEM_AMMO etc, or will it work if I put them all in one file, since they all start with OBJECT:ITEM anyway?
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Misc token questions - Entity ARMOR(etc); ITEM_WHATEVER
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 10:37:46 am »

The possible values appear to be COMMON, UNCOMMON, RARE, and FORCED. The value doesn't affect how often the item is generated on an individual basis; rather, it handles the chance of a given civ using the item. For example, the human entry has [HELM:ITEM_HELM_VEIL_HEAD:UNCOMMON] - therefore there's only a small chance that a human civ will be using the item at all. From my experience, it's quite likely that designating an item as UNCOMMON will stop it from appearing altogether in most worldgens.

As for the second question - you can put them all into one file; it's the header that counts.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 10:57:47 am »

Only [COMMON] items can be made at your Fortress too. Hence why you can sometimes get dwarves wearing togas, but you can't make them yourself.

*wistful sigh*

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 11:01:58 am »

Ahhhhh, okay; all of that's good to know. Thanks both.

The combined ITEM raw will feel a lot less untidy than a few raws of 2-4 items apiece, but I'm sure the rarity will be much more significant in me not tearing my hair out. :)
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.