Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Solium Infernum  (Read 8353 times)

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Solium Infernum
« on: November 28, 2009, 03:42:34 am »

Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.
- Paradise Lost

"The Prince of Darkness has vanished and the Infernal Throne sits empty.  A conclave of the Powers and Potentates of Hell will be summoned to Pandemonium to select the next ruler of The Infernal Pit.  Do you have what it takes to claim the throne and rule Hell?"

Solium Infernum is a turn-based strategy game set in the profoundest depths of Hell, created by Cryptic Comet, the developer(s) behind Armageddon Empires.

So far this has turned out to be a pretty awesome little turn-based strategy game. As the sales pitch says, you're one of several Archfiends vying for the Internal Throne at the heart of Pandemonium, the capital city of Hell; in order to do that you must accumulate the most prestige, obtained by conquering Places of Power around Hell, insulting other Archfiends, winning battles with your legions, being a backstabbing son of a bitch, or all of the above. You can even go for an all out assault on Pandemonium itself and take the throne by force if you want to be heavy-handed about it.

You can play singleplayer against the AI, or multiplayer with up to six people which is Play-By-Email (PBEM). I have a feeling the multiplayer is where the game is really going to shine, what with all the backstabbing and scheming. I am probably going to spend a couple of days looking over the manual a bit more and playing the AI and then maybe we can get some multiplayer games going or something.

For now this is a thread for discussion and to entice people to try the demo and/or purchase the game. ;)

Screenshots

Art Samples

« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:18:29 pm by Davion »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Solium Infernum
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 12:34:20 pm »

Oooo... he's got it done finally? Guess that means it's time to trundle on over and see how it turned out.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 02:34:19 pm »

The interface is pretty clunky, but not as bad as Armageddon Empires. So far I've been enjoying it, though I haven't finished a game. I've just been experimenting with various builds for my archdemon.

For those that enjoy screwing with other people there are many opportunities, from the manual:

Kingmaker - Before the game starts, the player with this Perk picks another as his Pawn, who is unaware of this status. If the Pawn wins the game by election in the Infernal Conclave (having the most Prestige at the end of the game), the Kingmaker wins in his place -- regardless of the Kingmaker’s Prestige when finishing the game. The Kingmaker, however, cannot win the game from an excommunicated status (which may be issued through Events or by his seizing, or attempted seizure, of Pandemonium).

The Power Behind the Throne - This Perk allows a player who has become a Blood Vassal to win in place of his Blood Lord (see Blood Vassals & Blood Lords). The Blood Lord must win by having the most Prestige at the end of the game for this Vassal to win in his place. Note: Kingmaker trumps The Power Behind the Throne i.e. If the Kingmaker has chosen correctly but the correct choice would be replaced by The Power Behind the Throne, the Kingmaker is still the winner.

Ritual Masking - If you have achieved a 5th or higher level in the Deceit discipline, you may target any player or any player’s possessions regardless of your diplomatic stance. This ability is called Ritual Masking. You may also attempt to frame other players as the source of this Ritual. You may target other players with Destruction Rituals through Ritual Masking -- even if you and the enemy are outside the diplomatic states of Vendetta, Blood Feud, or Excommunication (the three states in which you can attack other archdemons and take their territory). Masking also allows you to attempt to frame another player as the source of the Ritual. During the Create Order Process, the game will prompt you to declare whether or not you wish to frame another player. Choosing Yes will increase the cost of the Ritual, and if the identity check is successful in avoiding detection, the choice of framing another player will be allowed. Your turn log message will report the name of the framed player.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 02:38:02 pm by Davion »

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2009, 04:25:32 pm »

Neat!

I was waiting for this game, nice to see it finished. The demo seems a bit buggy atm, not to mention it being awfully short (20 turns, c'mon), but the game looks awesome. The author himself admits being inspired by Dominions MP games so I'll sure be looking for some backstabbing multiplayer action.
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 02:22:46 am »

I've been loving on this game serious for a few days now.  I'm starting to have some doubts about the AI and some balance issues, but the dev is still tweaking stuff, so no big deal.  It is indeed a pretty fun game, but less straight forward that AE, where the goal is to just send armies about to kick ass.  As the dev diaries mentioned, it is possible to "turtle" and win the game if you play it right. 

If you like this sort of game it's probably worth your time.

Tommy2U

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:10:33 pm »

OK, I bought the game, fun so far. There's a Steam group made by people from Rock Paper Shotgun to facilitate multiplayer games:

http://steamcommunity.com/groups/RPSatan

RPS forum thread:

http://rockpapershotgun.com/rpsforum/topic.php?id=942&page=2&replies=25

Let's get some scheming and backdtabbing going!
That's Install Planetary Overlord, not Initial Public Offering.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 09:50:30 am »

This game seems deviously interesting, though I'm not sure if I can buy it since I am unable to distribute currency over the Internet. Is there a retail version coming up perhaps?

P.S. I'm downloading demo now.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 01:08:34 pm »

Kingmaker

What happens if the PUPPET is the one that gets excommunicated? Can the Kingmaker still win?
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Ivefan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 02:00:41 pm »

As far as i understand from the description; The kingmaker can win through normal means, it's just that if the puppet wins by the method of prestige, the kingmaker wins instead unless he/she is excommunicated.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 07:53:12 pm »

Necroing because I just found this game and I am really enjoying it. Surprised Bay12 isn't more into it: deep strategy, super indy, unconventional game, design a demon lord etc.  Who else plays this?

I just finished a playthrough, I rolled over the AI, stealing from them and incriminating my opponents, but an AI stole the victory from me in the last few turns by prestige and by stealing the artifacts I needed to complete my mission.

RPS has a great multiplayer log here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/25/the-complete-gameboys-from-hell/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 08:00:29 pm by thegoatgod_pan »
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

TripJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2015, 08:03:06 pm »

I've played a couple 6-man matches and even managed to win the Throne once. Wish the game's manual was more thorough, but SI is easily one of the best PBEM strat games I've ever played. Very educational too, does a great job teaching you the value of being a lying backstabbing bastard :P

Cheeetar

• Bay Watcher
  • Spaceghost Perpetrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2015, 08:10:57 pm »

We did play a game a while back that was pretty fun. If you organised a game, I'm sure enough people would sign up to fill the ranks.
I've played some mafia.

Most of the time when someone is described as politically correct they are simply correct.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2015, 08:25:25 pm »

Yeah, this game is good fun, and also doesn't take forever like Dominions.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2015, 08:37:01 pm »

Yes, very manageable.

I have interest but no time, unfortunately. As I said in the link above I'd want to get any hypothetical SI game done by May, which wouldn't be possible any more. But I'm guessing Bay12 has enough players to get a 4-6 player game going without me. An industrious fellow could go and make a new game thread over at PlayWithYourBuddies.

To any such person I would advice to go with same or perhaps a bit shorter game settings than the ones we used. Other players of that game, or indeed people with more SI MP experience, may or may not disagree with me.

Ygdrad

• Bay Watcher
  • Overanalyzing and overthinking EVERYTHING.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2015, 01:59:42 pm »

Necroing because I just found this game and I am really enjoying it. Surprised Bay12 isn't more into it: deep strategy, super indy, unconventional game, design a demon lord etc.  Who else plays this?

I just finished a playthrough, I rolled over the AI, stealing from them and incriminating my opponents, but an AI stole the victory from me in the last few turns by prestige and by stealing the artifacts I needed to complete my mission.

RPS has a great multiplayer log here: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2010/01/25/the-complete-gameboys-from-hell/

I love this game. The biggest problem I have with it is finding people who want to play. I'm up for a match anytime. Just PM me or hit me up on steam(Ygdrad).
A yawn is a silent scream for coffee.
Pages: [1] 2