Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Sometimes units just stop attacking altogether  (Read 517 times)

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
[40d] Sometimes units just stop attacking altogether
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:31:49 pm »

This is a weird bug I noticed when I was having a tantrum spiral destroy a fortress recently.  Sometimes an attacking unit will just stand over the body of their victims, doing nothing, while their victim lies there in agony not dying.  They don't finish the job or wander off to find new victims, they just stand there presumably watching their victim suffer.  I suspect it has something to do with some sort of "check total wound count on victim" code, since it usually happens when the victim has a lot of yellow and a handful of red wounds, but is not in any real danger of dying.  If nothing else, they should at least wander off instead of standing there savoring their victims' pain and being otherwise terribly boring to watch.
Sanity is for the weak.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Sometimes units just stop attacking altogether
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2009, 04:25:57 am »

If you see this happen again, check whether the victims are unconscious, because it sounds kind of like this one:

# 000425 □ [dwarf mode][combat]   dwarves refuse to target unconscious creatures, possibly related to Bug424 

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
Re: [40d] Sometimes units just stop attacking altogether
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2009, 12:08:17 pm »

It almost certainly is related to that bug, as those units left highly wounded yet in no danger of dying were also perpetually passed out from the pain.  What I noticed is that, even though the assaulting Dwarf refuses to attack, they are actually stuck targeting the unconscious unit and won't move elsewhere.  Ergo the problem is not that they fail to target, it's that they never STOP targeting whatever they've rendered unconscious.  Presumably they're waiting for their target to wake up so they can resume the assault, but with the wounds their targets have assumed, they'll basically not wake up until they've rested for a few months.  Which of course they can't do if they're lying prone and unconscious in the main hall with a berserk tantruming Dwarf scaring everybody away from them.
Sanity is for the weak.