Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fire Imps I hate thee  (Read 2382 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fire Imps I hate thee
« on: November 27, 2009, 07:10:04 pm »

I have a great map here, (hfs, magma pipe, chasm, brook) and I also have the primative civ mod installed. The problem I have is that the magma pipe is directly in the way of my main entrance and most of the trading parties that come by walk RIGHT next to the pipe, alerting the fire imps. Then, they stupidly try to attack it/ run into magma for safety, which always gets them killed.

What would you do to stop the onslaught? What should I do to prevent future attacks, wildfires and trade parties winding up dead? My plan is either to drain the brook onto the pipe, but I've never done such a thing and might screw up badly. Alternatly, I might just build walls around it, which is kinda of costly, time consuming and builders are in danger.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
Re: Fire Imps I hate thee
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 07:31:51 pm »

you could always post some marksdwarves around the pipe

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 07:35:19 pm »

With only 7 dwarves, a military doesn't seem in my range of possibility.

Now what I am afraid of is that my first wave of migrants will have to walk by the pipe and get themselves killed too...

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 07:51:50 pm »

Under similar circumstances, I have opted for building a wall.  It is dangerous to the builders, as you say.  I never had the option of sealing the top with a brook.  If I did, I would probably try to dig a channel from the brook to the pipe, or alternatively (and more safely), a tunnel between the two with just the final channeling to be done as the final steps.  As long as the top of the brook is at the same level as the top of the pipe, you shouldn't get a flood.

Edit:  You can make the wall-building go much more quickly by making everyone a mason just for the length of time it takes to build the wall.  Also, making a stone stockpile somewhere close, but safe, will make it go more quickly than having every stone dragged from the depths.  Just be sure to build the corners last, so no one is trapped inside.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:54:33 pm by slink »
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 10:02:56 pm »

I tried to empty the brook onto it, but that didnt work, leaving the channel to be clogged by a single obsidian wall.

I might try to build a floor over it, using a pile of stones near by and a few marksdwarves to protect the builders. Is that possible, or very stupid/dangerous?

Greyjoy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2009, 03:58:56 am »

Edited correction correction. Just floor over the problematic pipe.

You will almost certainly lose dwarves; stationing military dwarves will help. But from there, you can work something out at your leisure. Dwarves will die, but as long as they're mostly marksdwarves, or the posting is not at the edge of the magma pit, it will work out.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 04:05:53 am by Greyjoy »

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2009, 05:23:00 am »

>.> <.<
primitive civilisations mod?
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2009, 12:44:29 am »

Primative Civ Mod- http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=544, it adds 10 or so minor civs that occasionally show up to trade, most of them are of (animal)-man types

-Ive begun to cover it with a floor, and Im about a third of they way there with no dwarf deaths and 3 imp kills. I think this will work, but a few mason deaths seems inevidable, considering that these imps have had some extremely close shots, but missed.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2009, 12:50:21 am »

hehehe thank you.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!

Karik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2009, 01:12:49 am »

I tried to empty the brook onto it, but that didnt work, leaving the channel to be clogged by a single obsidian wall.

I might try to build a floor over it, using a pile of stones near by and a few marksdwarves to protect the builders. Is that possible, or very stupid/dangerous?

Build an aquaduct from the brook to the magma (two walls with a space between, pump water into it) and that should do it, though not very effictively, will take time to spread and cap it all.  I ended up doing this, but I built a wall around the top and then made a pool over it :P

SoulSkorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 08:40:57 am »

I always seal surface lava using an aqueduct before I mess with it. I learned that after trying to pave over a volcano  - the fire imps murdered everyone and set the countryside on fire.

Halceon

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:vile machinations]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 08:54:55 am »

Just kill the buggers and be done with it.
I'm looking for your fort, maybe. Find out - http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=124606.0
ág sôd onol nekik
edir thol, kor egar
    berdan kälán
    alod kodor
absam abal aroth limul

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 02:34:40 pm »

Just kill the buggers and be done with it.

Dont they respawn eventually?

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 03:36:27 pm »

Not in the current version, no. They used to, back in the 2D days, and they will in the next version, but the 3D versions through the current version have not had respawning feature creatures.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Mangled

• Bay Watcher
  • Sleep is for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 03:47:53 pm »

Tehe, feature creatures, I like that.
Does that apply to the HFS as well?
Pages: [1] 2