Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Regarding Dampening stone  (Read 764 times)

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Regarding Dampening stone
« on: November 27, 2009, 05:09:44 pm »

So I've been thinking of methods to have consistently damp stone without having to re-flood or anything and I came up with this:

Code: [Select]
(Viewed from the side)
X___X
X777X
XXXXX

X=stone wall
_=stone floor
7=7/7 water

Would this work?  I have a few other ideas but I wanted to see if this would work or not first.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Regarding Dampening stone
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 05:11:00 pm »

Having water under a floor won't make the area above it damp.

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 05:15:20 pm »

Ok, then how about this?

(viewed from top-to-bottom)
XXXXXXX
HHHHHHH
XXXXXXX
HHHHHHH
XXXXXXX
HHHHHHH
XXXXXXX

X=Wall/Floor
H=Floor
Underneath all of the H's would be water dampening the X's

Would this work?

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 05:25:33 pm »

Ok, then how about this?

(viewed from top-to-bottom)
XXXXXXX
HHHHHHH
XXXXXXX
HHHHHHH
XXXXXXX
HHHHHHH
XXXXXXX

X=Wall/Floor
H=Floor
Underneath all of the H's would be water dampening the X's

Would this work?

And regardless if this works or not, does anyone have their own idea?  Perhaps some kind of constant sprinkler system?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:35:14 pm »

I think you're mistaking "Damp" for "Muddy." "Damp" stone is worse than worthless; it's there to tell you that there is a water square adjacent to that wall so you don't accidentally dig it out, but when you dig out next to a damp tile that you previously hadn't seen, the game pauses itself and centers on that tile. Very annoying.

You cannot farm on damp tiles unless they are also muddy or soil, nor do plants grow on damp tiles unless they are muddy or soil.

The only way to muddy a tile, making it possible for plants to grow on otherwise-stone tiles, is to flood it. Having water next to, above, or below a tile will not muddy it; the water has to be in the tile itself for the tile to become muddied.

If you want to make a system to repeatedly muddy an area in case something screws up otherwise, I would suggest having the area to be muddied sealable (via doors/drawbridges/etc.), then have a cistern, floored with retracting bridges, directly above the area to be muddied. The cistern should be no more than 2/7 the size of the area to be muddied and no less than 1/7 that size. Design the cistern such that its input can be sealed as well, so you can have a precisely-measured amount of water to be dropped onto the would-be farm.

Like so:

z-level +0:
WWWDWWW
W+++++W
W+++++W
D+++++D
W+++++W
W+++++W
WWW+WWW

z-level +1:

WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW
WWBBD++
WWBBWWW
WWWWWWW
WWWWWWW

Where Ws are walls, Ds are doors, and Bs is a 2x2 retracting bridge. At least the door on the upper level should be linked to a lever, while the bridge should be linked to a different lever. Or, replace the upper-level's door with a 1-tile drawbridge and use just 1 lever.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 06:36:24 pm »

Why all the hassle? Flood it, drain it, forget it. Muddied tiles stay muddy forever as long as you don't come in and construct things on them.
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

van

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 07:56:37 pm »

Why all the hassle? Flood it, drain it, forget it. Muddied tiles stay muddy forever as long as you don't come in and construct things on them.

They stay muddied forever?  On my last fort I had to re-do it each harvest for some stupid reason...Thanks, I'll just do the basic flood method!

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 09:04:48 pm »

They stay muddied forever?  On my last fort I had to re-do it each harvest for some stupid reason...Thanks, I'll just do the basic flood method!

Unless your last fort was in the 2D version, there was probably something screwy going on with your fort - in the 3D version, mud never disappears on its own.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 10:03:32 pm »

It's possible he kept noticing all the plants going red, deciding it meant he had to re-muddy the fields, and by the time that got done the season had turned.

Plants turning red means that they can't be planted that late into the season. They don't mean that you can't use the field.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels