Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: First Annual Urist McNoble Prize  (Read 2402 times)

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
First Annual Urist McNoble Prize
« on: November 27, 2009, 02:02:33 pm »

Utterly fantastic. you really do deserve the violent dwarven equivalent of a nobel peace prize

I've decided that the above quote should be a reality. Therefore I give you the Urist McNoble Prize!

Early in our history there was simple noble. His life, was one of luxury. However this noble was an integral part of the running of the mighty Mountainhome known as Skindoors. He provided the vision and drive to build the great projects of the fort, such as the aqueduct, skytower, magma forges and hospital. This noble’s name was Urist McNoble

However one day Urist had a criminal brought before his court. The crime was heinous and indwarven, he had destroyed Nazushzareth, an artefact gold crown of the Mastersmith Nish Shoraststerus. This crime could not go unpunished McNoble decided and so he gave the unprecedented sentence of being hit four score times, with a hammer, in the face.

Urist McNoble became the first hammerer in dwarven history. His gift of a harsh, dwarven punishment maintained order within the halls of Skindoors for ten years. However, slowly the punishment spread from just the most serious crime until it was a hammerable offence not to be able to make the King a bed from nothing but syrup.

Not wishing his lasting legacy to be that of hammering McNoble with his dying breath in hospital, after barely defeating a dragon in single combat with nothing more than a rope reed sock, he bequeathed his vast fortune to “a prize that celebrates the betterment of the dwarven people... arggg the pain!”

It is in that spirit which this annual prize is now given.

Excerpt from the Chronicles of Skindoors, 18 of Obsidian 143.

The Urist McNoble Prize (Aka The Hammerer Award)

The prize will be awarded in the following categories:

• Physics
     "The discovery of new laws of Dwarf Fortress, there doesn’t need to be a practical application"
       e.g. water rules, one way ramps
  • Peace
     "Making !!pieces!! of your enemies in new ways"
       e.g. magma cannons, freezing traps
  • Architecture
     "Megaproject design and construction"
       e.g. giant statues, epic forts
  • Literature
     "Records of fortress life and legendary adventures"
       e.g. Boatmudered and the like
  • Computing
     "Programs that improve the life of players (no raw mods)"
       e.g. Stonesense, Dwarf therapist

There will be one award per category. The hope is to release the results by the next release.

Entering and some Rules

Anyone is free to enter as long as they can show the post that the entering account posted the idea/story/ect in. This means that people must nominate themselves. Group awards can be given where appropriate.

To be considered pm me with:
  • a link to the post
  • the category you wish to be entered in
  • any other useful details
Submissions without the first two will not be considered.

Judging

This year I am handling Judge selection. Hopefully the method of selection (which will remain secret until the awards are given) should reduce bias. No Judge will judge a category for which they are entered. Each category will be considered by at least five judges and their scores will the averaged to give the final results. I will not judge any category.

The Prize

I'm looking for some artists to help me with the production of this year's prize. If you want to help then pm me. If you have any ideas for additional prizes then pm me (no money/things that cost money, that goes to Toady).

Kulantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: First Annual Urist McNoble Prize
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »

reserved

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 02:25:12 pm »

I would like to nominate:
Literature:
The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: An Epic of Bloodshed, Despair, and Glory for the amazing story of Tholtig, an incredible find in the awesomeness that Legend Mode can be!

Computing:
Visual Fortress: another 3D visualisation app for one of the most promising 3D viewers!
DF Text Mode for opening a possibility in playing Dwarf Fortress in a Cloud environment!
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 02:31:24 pm by Danarca »
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 02:26:39 pm »

Oh sure, I'll judge all of these.

inaluct

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 03:14:17 pm »

I too would also love to judge these things.

I'm not on much any more, so I'm sure this makes me extra impartial.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:17:34 pm »

INALUCT COME PLAY MAFIAAAAA

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:28:51 pm »

INALUCT?! I THOUGHT YOU WHERE DEAD!! where have you been? why did you disapear?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:41:53 pm »

Can I be judge?
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 04:14:07 pm »

Armok, PMs. Now is not the time.

I'd be quite happy to judge the middle three categories, as I think this is a fantastic idea. The reason I'm only judging the middle three is I don't feel... smart? enough to judge the others.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 07:24:21 pm »

Oh hey, you guys got one of those PM's too? I'll judge, why not?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 07:29:03 pm »

I am opting out of judging. I don't support this quasi-contest in fact I am somewhat against it.

So enjoy yourselves.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 07:31:58 pm »

If you don't care, don't post.

Simples.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 07:36:40 pm »

If you don't care, don't post.

Simples.

I was under the impression that I was obligated to post. So I did

Also I DO care but in a negative way. Hense why I am not elaborating, because I would just be complaining.

Then again I do remember what I once said trolling was: "Trolling happens when people say something is bad because it is terrible or rather not explaining why they believe something is bad"

So I guess I HAVE to explain why or else I will be a troll: I think this is just going to boil down to reaffirming and creating the elite and distance the "Winners" from the "Everyone else". That is the best way I can explain my disdain in a single sentence.

That is really all Ill elaborate on it because I realise that my possition is antagonistic to the majority of everyone who is on the board and that this thread is overall better for the thread.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 07:51:03 pm by Neonivek »

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 07:46:35 pm »

I second the nomination in Computing for Virtual Fortress and nominate Exponent's For Each Tile utility.

For Architecture, I nominate my own Hanging Gardens.  I apologize for the semi-shitty picture, but the copy of Visual Fortress I have still has a bug in the bridges (right and lower) and I was unable to put the sun at a rotation that wasn't North-South.

I have also not yet gone in and tweaked things so that I can have trees growing on my desert construction.  I am unsure if I can actually do that, I have to check out Exponent's For Each Tile utility when I have time.

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 07:53:36 pm »

I was under the impression that I was obligated to post. So I did

I don't see why you felt this.

If you don't like the idea behind a thread, don't post in it at all.
Pages: [1] 2 3