Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19

Author Topic: Twilight "Vampires"  (Read 30744 times)

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
Re: Twilight "Vampires"
« Reply #240 on: December 14, 2009, 04:44:40 am »

The difference between Twilight and Buffy is that Buffy is actually worth watchng in comparison.

Buffy is by no means a good show, but at least it doesn't try and pretend it's serious buisness.

Buffy is actually fun to watch if you turn your brain off. Twilight is amusing to watch in an ironic way if you make fun of it, but you have to really work at it.

Shinji

• Bay Watcher
  • Irritate Sakanade
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: December 14, 2009, 05:01:08 am »

You know whats a good vampire series?
The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

Pillow_Killer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: December 14, 2009, 10:08:03 am »

Quote from: x2yzh9
every man faps to every person he knows/likes. I've done that for about 2 girls that I've liked really, and it's because they have big boobs. 'Nuff said amirite?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: December 14, 2009, 10:15:46 am »

You know whats a good vampire series?
The Vampire Chronicles by Anne Rice

YMMV. Not that it's a bad series, but Twilight is her fault. By proxy.

Also, Twilight, as I said before isn't that abominable. It's just tasteless and bland, kind of like white sugar, except slightly toxic.

Also: epic picture, Pillow Killer.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: December 14, 2009, 02:11:03 pm »

In all honesty though, Blade himself is an abomination to the tradition as he is one of those creations spawned from the depths of the deepest and most twisted fanfiction...   A 'half-vampire'.

Bleugh...  It's almost enough to put me off vampires entirely.  But then I remember Kain, and he helps guide me back into the fold.

Personally, I don't mind having a bit of eroticism in regards to vampires.  What better way to convince a human to get into close contact with you than to promise a fulfillment of one of their most basic needs?

The split-off point is where they actually *do* get a bit naughty, and no massive exsanguination occurs.

Sex is a primal and defining characteristic of the living.  The dead should have no interest in it whatsoever, other than as a means of getting what they really want.  My personal take on vampires is that they are cold and emotionless killers, as their death and subsequent transformation have utterly numbed any feelings their living minds might once have felt.  Only the strongest concentrations of the most powerful emotions (hate, fear, and in certain circumstances love) should have any effect on them.  Beyond that, they feel only a dull, empty craving that they attempt to satiate with fresh blood.  They no longer possess life of their own, so they seek to take it from others in the most basic and symbolic form.

Werewolves, on the other hand, are embodiments of the primal and savage ways of nature.  By all means they should be readily consumed and controlled by whatever urges they happen to feel, as they contrast vampires by being a concentration of the chaotic and unfettered nature of wildlife.  While a vampire sheds the lower instincts and needs of its former human self, a werewolf sheds the higher culture and advanced though.  They're not so much whole transformations as they are simply concentrations of aspects from the original human source given shape.

This system makes it possible to add in the sly hint that it's all perhaps a series of metaphors, rather than any fantastical reality.

But then again, I suppose you could say that the Twilight series is attempting to use metaphorical depiction to address very serious real-world issues...   Namely pedophilia, abusive relationships, and the blood diamond trade (come on, think about it...   "This is the skin of a killer!"?  Sparkly?  It's been staring us in the face all this time!)

To be perfectly honest, trying to assign deep hidden meaning to Twilight is a bit silly.  But it's also remarkably fun.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: December 14, 2009, 02:13:25 pm »

the blood diamond trade (come on, think about it...   "This is the skin of a killer!"?  Sparkly?  It's been staring us in the face all this time!)

You just blew my mind.
Shoes...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 14, 2009, 02:31:02 pm »

In all honesty though, Blade himself is an abomination to the tradition as he is one of those creations spawned from the depths of the deepest and most twisted fanfiction...   A 'half-vampire'.
Actually half-vampires exist in myth too(though how on earth an undead has children is not explained). They are known as "dhampirs".
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

Idiom

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_THOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: December 14, 2009, 04:02:27 pm »

Half relevant intermission time:

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: December 14, 2009, 04:31:53 pm »

That's sad for me, because I'm still at the naive stage where I think most mothers are profound voices of reason.

Emphasis on most, I guess.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: December 14, 2009, 04:55:26 pm »

I know my mom normally is, at least (thank God).  Don't know about most everyone else's.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: December 14, 2009, 04:59:27 pm »

I might disagree and furiously argue with my mother on almost everything, but at least she doesn't like twiglet.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: December 15, 2009, 01:43:23 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

:D

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: December 15, 2009, 05:33:19 am »

Actually half-vampires exist in myth too(though how on earth an undead has children is not explained). They are known as "dhampirs".

It helps if you consider that the people who originated the Dhampir myths probably didn't know anything about cells.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Shinji

• Bay Watcher
  • Irritate Sakanade
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: December 15, 2009, 06:55:43 am »

It helps if you consider that the people who originated the Dhampir myths probably didn't know anything about cells.
For that matter the people who started those about vampires didnt either

Jude

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: December 15, 2009, 07:52:51 am »

Btw I fuckin hate Anne Rice all anybody does is mope in those books
Quote from: Raphite1
I once started with a dwarf that was "belarded by great hanging sacks of fat."

Oh Jesus
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19