Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: HELP!!! I need to save my Legendary Metalsmith!  (Read 2981 times)

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
HELP!!! I need to save my Legendary Metalsmith!
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:28:37 pm »

OK so first off, im in a fortress where I'm trying to "Earn" the king,  this means getting a population of 140, and, sadly, it means NOT killing off wave upon wave of nobles, as that tends to drive away migrants.

Fast forward to a while ago to when my Tax Collector, who usually demands Bismuth Bronze items, recently however he asked for a "bismuth" item, which, well, is impossible ot make... I consider my options, killing the noble, and once more freaking out any would be immigrants, ooorrr, letting the mandate expire which would result in him being shut n the slammer for a while...

WRONG!!!

Fast forward a few Dwarf Months, the mandate has passed from brown ot yellow to red, and finally expires.  Within minuts of it doing so...
"Urst Mcmetalsmith has been struck down!"

WTF?

Sure enough, the Casptain of the Gaurd is standing over the now smashed body of my Legendary metalsmith.
What are my options? I estimate form the last time I saved, I have about 5min worth of 'Real Time' before the mandate expiers... Can I lock him in the room? kill the noble really really fast? OPTIONS!
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

beekay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: HELP!!! I need to save my Legendary Metalsmith!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 11:42:18 pm »

Make a bar of bismuth metal.

Alternatively: draft him, get him to put on plate armour, and hope he survives.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 11:44:28 pm »

You might try drafting your metalsmith and having him put on as much armor as possible. You might try locking your captain of the guard in his room in the meantime.

If that doesn't work, try increasing the dwarves' damblock by a large amount, and perhaps adding [NOBLEED], and other things that improve survivability.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 11:49:20 pm »

Why don't you just remove the Captain of the Guard and any Fortress Guard you may have?  No police means no punishment.  Who cares if that noble gets a little upset because his mandate was ignored and he can't punish someone?

As others have said, you could draft him and armor him.

Alternately, you probably have time to engineer the noble's death.  A large shaft with a bridge to stand on ought to be a quick and dirty death chamber (lock him in the room, pull a lever removing the ground he's standing on).  One death probably won't scare immigrants too badly.

Skooma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 12:02:08 am »

This is why I never bother with the justice system.

Kanddak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:15 am »

Smelting a piece of bismuthinite to make bismuth bars will fulfill a mandate for a bismuth item.

If you can't do that, the first thing I'd do would be to empty the captain of the guard position.

Alternately, enable metalsmithing on a bunch of worthless peasants. I believe this should make them candidates to receive a punishment and thereby reduce the odds of your real metalsmith being selected. It is advisable to allow peasants, farmers, fisherdwarves and such to perform a single smithing job and become dabblers anyway, so that when they get moods you don't wind up with an oaken idol and a legendary woodcrafter. (Then use your forges' workshop profiles to jack up the minimum skill level most of the time)

For the quickest way to kill your bismuth noble, I'd go for building an 11x1 dead-end hallway, putting a lever at the very end linked to a 10x1 drawbridge raising toward one of the walls (not toward one of the ends, and not a retracting bridge) in the rest of the hallway. Put the noble into the workshop profile for the lever and order it pulled. Unless your noble is agile (in which case you need a longer hallway and two bridges), he'll be crushed by the bridge as he walks back out of the hallway after pulling the lever.

By the way, I know a lot of players ignore the justice system because of what happens on failed mandates, but it actually does have its uses when it comes to sentences due to tantrums. There's an enormous happiness boost from being released from a prison sentence, and if you know how to carefully micromanage your justice system, you can exploit it to shut down tantrum spirals. Some day I'll perfect and post my protocol for this.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 12:20:29 am by Kanddak »
Hydrodynamics Education - read this before being confused about fluid behaviors

The wiki is notoriously inaccurate on subjects at the cutting edge, frequently reflecting passing memes, folklore, or the word on the street instead of true dwarven science.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 12:33:13 am »

Sadly I have no bismuthinite, only Bismuth bars i buy from traders and all I can smelt with them is Bismuth Bronze,,,

So..I am trying a bit of everything,
drafted my metalsmith and making him ware steel plate..
Locking my Captain in a room (hopefully) to keep him away
And having my tax collector flip an auto drowning system I haven't used in QUITE some time.

The annoying part of all this is that this is happening Right in the middle of a Caravan of HUmans who I just bought alsmot the whole cargo from, and two Ambushes which will happen in the next 2min worth of playable game time...

Wish me luck!!!

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 12:36:46 am »

Good luck, Crossroads!

But I do have to ask, why aren't you just removing the Guard?  If you're will to go to other such extremes, temporarily disabling the ability of your fortress to exercise the justice system isn't such a bad step.

Not saying what you're doing is wrong in any way...it just seems unnecessarily difficult.

Nidokoenig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:48:06 am »

Yeah, I tend to go with a no guard, no jail, no problem set up. When you've had a fort with nobles demanding adamantine and crystal glass items, you don't look back.

If you've drafted your metalsmith, given him armour, and you're expecting an ambush, you could also give him a shield and the best weapon you have. Since he's legendary, he should do pretty well if you send him out with a squad to deal with the sieges. This will give him some points in armour, shield and weapon use, and probably give him some attribute boosts.

Alternatively, draft some useless peasants and send them out to meet the goblin ambush. Hopefully, a couple of them will survive with horrible injuries that will take a while to heal, and they can replace the Captain of the Guard. Or just sub in a peasant who's unlikely to do any harm as CoG.

Just a random thought, have you built any jail items, i.e. restraints or cages, and marked them for justice use? If not, it could just be that a lack of them is making all punishment beatings or hammerings, since incarceration isn't an option, so try building some and assigning them to justice.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 12:58:12 am »

Good luck, Crossroads!

But I do have to ask, why aren't you just removing the Guard?  If you're will to go to other such extremes, temporarily disabling the ability of your fortress to exercise the justice system isn't such a bad step.

Not saying what you're doing is wrong in any way...it just seems unnecessarily difficult.
The ofrt I am currently in is designed to be as "Real" as possible, thusly I am adding in as many realistic bits as possible that add to the challenge as well as "Fun"

My fort is laid out more like a real life castle mixed with a city, there are "shops" "inns" stores and "taverns" lots of extra buildings tih chairs, food stocks finished goods etc.  Stores have customized stockpiles in order to make "Furniture" shops or "Food and Beer" shops

A part of this is adding a "City Watch" And having real barracks, jails, a 'courtroom' etc... Its also the reason why im trying to "Earn" a king instead of simply mining the HFS that I located using 'Reveal'

as an Aside... Drafting the metalsmith seemed to take him off the list of offenders resulting in the pummeling going to the next highest metalsmith...who turned out to be a Grand Master Engraver.. >_<
Thankfully I have SIX of those so not a Huge loss.

PS. while drafted, the Legendary Metalsmith, waring a piece of Steel pLate Mail, one Steel glove, one Steel boot and a Steel cap, proceed to knock out three of the Ambushers when they finally hit.

All in all I consider this event "Win"

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 01:01:54 am »

Good luck, Crossroads!

The ofrt I am currently in is designed to be as "Real" as possible, thusly I am adding in as many realistic bits as possible that add to the challenge as well as "Fun"

My fort is laid out more like a real life castle mixed with a city, there are "shops" "inns" stores and "taverns" lots of extra buildings tih chairs, food stocks finished goods etc.  Stores have customized stockpiles in order to make "Furniture" shops or "Food and Beer" shops

A part of this is adding a "City Watch" And having real barracks, jails, a 'courtroom' etc... Its also the reason why im trying to "Earn" a king instead of simply mining the HFS that I located using 'Reveal'

as an Aside... Drafting the metalsmith seemed to take him off the list of offenders resulting in the pummeling going to the next highest metalsmith...who turned out to be a Grand Master Engraver.. >_<
Thankfully I have SIX of those so not a Huge loss.

PS. while drafted, the Legendary Metalsmith, waring a piece of Steel pLate Mail, one Steel glove, one Steel boot and a Steel cap, proceed to knock out three of the Ambushers when they finally hit.

All in all I consider this event "Win"

Sounds like you've got an interesting challenge and good reason to avoid the easy way.

Sorry for the loss of the engraver.  You might have taken drafted him as well to save him, but maybe you don't care.  Also, if your CotG is murdering people, that means you don't have a big enough prison.  They aren't supposed to beat unless they can't arrest and imprison.

Nice job with the ambush as well.  Sounds like all things considered, this worked out reasonably well.  Just don't forget to relieve the metalsmith from military duty so he can get back to metalworking.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 01:11:49 am »

Option: Cheating

Mod a (temporarily) reaction to produce bismuthinite. I recommend the Rose Gold reaction because it seems no one uses it, and if you do it right you can change it back

Take this
[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]
[NAME:make rose gold bars]
[SMELTER]
[REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD]
[REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER]
[PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD]
[FUEL]

and change it to this
[REACTION:ROSE_GOLD_MAKING]

[NAME:make rose gold bars]

[SMELTER]

REAGENT:3:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:GOLD
REAGENT:1:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:COPPER
PRODUCT:100:4:BAR:NO_SUBTYPE:METAL:ROSE_GOLD
[PRODUCT:100:#:STONE:NO_SUBTYPE:STONE:BISMUTHINITE]
FUEL
With the # being however many chunks of bismuthinite you need.

Removing the [] from the line turns the line from a code line to a comment line and thus will be ignored by the program, allowing you to do your dirty cheating work and then restore the raw file to its pristine condition afterwards.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 06:14:45 am »

If you can import bismuth bars, it makes sense that you can also import bismuthinite from the caravan. It is under the 'stones' section. The caravan having bismuth bars implies access to bismuthinite ore. You will get 3-4 pieces at most every year, but that should be enough to fullfill mandates. IIRC, 1 piece of bismuthinite produces 3 bars of bismuth, so smelting 1 piece of bismuthinite will fullfill a mandate for 3 bismuth items.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

XSI

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 07:42:44 am »

You can save him without cheating things, killing things, or modding things.

Draft the smith, make him put on the biggest armour you have around.
Then replace the guard captain with a peasant, may not be strong.

Now, instead of a seasoned veteran guard captain beating him a few times, you will have a weak peasant trying to punch through the armour he's wearing.

Alternatively, we do not really know how the dwarf to be punished is selected, so next time you try he might pick a soap maker to be beat up.
What kind of statues are your masons making, that you think they have "maximum exposure"?
(Full frontal ones, apparently.  With very short beards.) 

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 11:19:58 am »

If you can import bismuth bars, it makes sense that you can also import bismuthinite from the caravan. It is under the 'stones' section. The caravan having bismuth bars implies access to bismuthinite ore. You will get 3-4 pieces at most every year, but that should be enough to fullfill mandates. IIRC, 1 piece of bismuthinite produces 3 bars of bismuth, so smelting 1 piece of bismuthinite will fullfill a mandate for 3 bismuth items.

From my experience, you can always import every type of metal bar from the Human and Dwarven caravans, but the Dwarven caravan will only offer bismuthinite if one of their sites has granite layers.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.
Pages: [1] 2