Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Serious Threat!  (Read 2022 times)

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
  • Usstan tlun natha hargluk ssinssriggin ilythiiri!
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
Serious Threat!
« on: November 26, 2009, 11:28:18 pm »

Dear Toady,

For every day without release, god spawns a kitten in our forts!

so well yes i am bored, and somehow i thought how the "god kills a kitten" wouldnt be much a thread for df players and just subverted it.
40d is now just damn... i cant find a proper word for it... its not boring, but just everytime i play i end up with cursing the game for the additions in next release and i already miss. even i just read them on the devblog.

so please please please... cant you just release it without finishing all the stuff? :> we wait for more than a year now :(
User Profile: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/User:Rhenaya
Mods: http://dffd.wimbli.com/who.php?id=554

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Serious Threat!
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:08 am »

It will come. It will be awesome. When new players start with it, they'll wonder how we ever got anything done; just as I gaze in amazement at the 2D stories I hear tell of.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2009, 12:09:53 am »

Well, Toady will likely skip one or two items. Such as the d# merge as he stated in the main thread.

We all want the new release, but I think most people would want it done right, this is probably the biggest release ever so far.

Stargrasper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2009, 12:19:14 am »

You're clearly forgetting, in the world if DF, Toady IS God.

Relax.  We've waiting over a year, a little longer won't kill any of us.  It will come and it will be done well if we patiently give Toady the time he needs.

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 02:15:11 am »

Toady IS God

for this claim follow the link in my signature and think about it ;)

and i know lots of people want a stable version, but waiting for a damn year i would go with nightly builds too just to help testing, and all those (mostly even already finisehd) new goodies just make it impossible to play now (for the last half year though) as i always miss the stuff i know we get but isnt here yet :> yes i am spoiled :p

From "Angroshs Kinder" Das schwarze Auge Zwergenhandbuch - (Angrosh Children, the dark eye, german pen&paper, dwarven handbook):
"Elves!? Their men dont wear beards, and their women bathe nacked to lure you into the water and drown you. Thank Angrosh they are as ugly as the day and all big and skinny."

Hound

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 03:22:05 am »

No, rushing games is what is killing the major industry right now (okay killing it is a huge overstatement, but NO game has ever come out a better product because it was rushed.)   Toady is a one man beyond-quality-game-making machine, you can't mess with this kind of process.  Just gonna have to be patient, then when you download the next version, you'll see it was worth it all along.  Besides, he's already said he's gonna get it out before the end of the year (or something along those lines >.>  Don't quote me on that) so what's another month?

Rhenaya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • X-Fire Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 03:30:07 am »

i dont want that he make a full release, just once a month a running build with the latest additons would be enough, while not increasing the number or replacing the latest download link. so that people who want to test and try can use it, while people waiting for a stable version dont get confused :p

but anyway, its just i am bored and not even df pleases me currently :> hell i gone that far i play sims3 like df now: with the new basement tool i create a camp for provdiing needs and income, and dig down to create the real living estate down there :p
http://de.xfire.com/video/19e3ac/
even including a statue garden :>

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 03:52:35 am »

I remember about a year back Toady saying something about him doing this huge update because it'd be unfathomably faster than going month to month with releases. A lot of the changes he said that were going to take place were going to be incompatible with previous releases. Yes, it's been a long time, so what? Do you want the game to take a crap turn because people rush him to release it? I seriously doubt any and all of the threats will make him hurry or anything I do however think that saying "I'm not going to donate until the next release." is the worst thing, because if he loses donations he has to get a job to pay bills and buy food. You want him to not experience a slow down? Then donate. He's doing things at his pace and quite possibly quicker than any of us could do, so chill.

No this is not a flame to any one person, more a rant.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Balathustrius

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_SLEEP]
    • View Profile
    • In which I post pictures
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 04:54:28 am »

I'm no programmer, but I suspect that the things Toady is coding are all complexly interrelated, and he has to gut the existing code to work on them; it's probably about impossible to just stop and release on a dime.  Even if he wanted to do a rush job and release a buggy, suboptimal build, he probably couldn't.

Most big game developer teams spend years working on games much less complex than DF; Toady is actually extremely fast in comparison.  Even a wait of a year between releases is quick work by game-dev standards.
You have struck Microcline!

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 07:07:13 am »

All is well, PencilinHand's expert schedule assessment skills and inside information already revealed release date. It is soon. And everything will be finished. Praise PencilinHand!

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 09:01:54 am »

If Toady doesn't release right now...

I will KILL this Elf!

Nah seriously, Toady should take his time, take another year if he wants to.
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Grax

• Bay Watcher
  • The Only.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 01:57:56 pm »

If Toady doesn't release right now...
I will KILL this Elf!

Nah seriously, Toady should take his time, take another year if he wants to.
Don't forget to kill an elf per day for this year. That'd be dwarfy.
Finis sanctificat media.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:28:03 pm »

I vaguely remember someone reporting that or toady himself saying somewhere on the forum that he had admitted he bit more than he wanted to, so it is more annoyingly longer release than what he actually wanted to put us through.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2009, 06:38:34 pm »

Yeah and asking Toady to cram out a release before he's done, when he's got a list of all the things he has explicitly stated he wants to finish, is kinda disrespectful.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2009, 06:40:21 pm »

I'm just happy that there exists developer(s?) that makes longer dev-time actually result in something GOOD! Just take a look at spore.

I've stopped waiting for games, and stopped hoping for games to be released sooner, since most of them actually end up shallower and more boring than their prequels due to stupid devs trying to fix what is not broken (Yes, Bethesda, I'm talking about YOU).

I reserve my anticipation for game-releases to every new version of dwarf fortress, and have still (since pre-3d) not been disappointed! I don't care how many years it takes with dwarf fortress, it's always been worth the wait. And anything game-breaking has always been given top-priority for quick fixing. Keep going Toady One! Do your thing like we all love, and never EVER start fixing what ain't broken!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress
Pages: [1] 2