Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: I dont understand graphics...  (Read 816 times)

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I dont understand graphics...
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:45:20 pm »

Its been a while since Ive played DF, mostly cause I was into modding and tweaking. This eventually led to my game crashing during world-gen. What stopped me from playing was my idea to start from scratch, load vanilla, and re-mod what I wanted. The reason this stopped me is because my, "I don't feel like it now, I'll do it tomorrow," attitude.

Now on to the point,

I've modded in civs, items etc. in and I regen and to my surprise is the ascii graphics. Call me undwarven, but the ascii graphics just don't appeal to me. Now I've been having trouble with applying the tileset, making what I can of it, and every time I run DF, I see those darned ascii graphics.

All i need is a quick run through on how to install a graphics pack (I particularly like this one: http://dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/User:Sphr/gfx_set). The instructions on the wiki are confusing to me.

Thanks,

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
Re: I dont understand graphics...
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:57:14 pm »

What have you tried doing to install it? That's what will probably help us most.

To read graphics, DF needs you to put a sprite sheet (provided by the maker) into the graphics folder, and then provide a text file telling DF how to reference it. You should be making/moving the text file and the folder with the graphics into the graphics folder in the raws. That's about all you do.

Don't forget to turn on graphics in the init file.

Edit: wow, installing sphr's graphic set looks like a pain in the ass if you want everything. You should look for compilations, like that Director's cut, where it looks like you just unzip and move everything into the graphics folder or not.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:08:16 pm by darkflagrance »
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 09:08:38 pm »

Eh, the "Director's Cut" release at the bottom of the page looks like it covers nearly everything.

Edit: Wait, what's wrong with it?

madjoe5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 09:10:12 pm »

I put the sprite sheet, which is to my understanding the actually picture, (freshly changed to .bmp using ms paint) in the data\art folder.

Then I changed something in the init file that was [FULLFONT:curses_800x600.bmp] to the name of the new file.

I'm not quite sure how to "turn on" graphics in the init file, nor do I know where the text file is and where to put it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:05 pm »

You could just download Mike Mayday's pack. You don't have to do any complicated work last I remembered.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 09:11:12 pm »

Replace the "[GRAPHICS:NO]" block with the following:

Code: [Select]
[GRAPHICS:YES]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_WINDOWEDY:960]
[GRAPHICS_FONT:Sphr_square_16x16_mix.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENX:1280]
[GRAPHICS_FULLSCREENY:960]
[GRAPHICS_FULLFONT:Sphr_curses_square_16x16.bmp]
[GRAPHICS_BLACK_SPACE:YES]

Edit: @the above, this release appears no more complex than anything else (besides, I like it, which is why I'm arguing). The self-packaged Mayday DF seems to have a tendency to bugger up newbies when they try to modify other things as well, though why that is I don't know.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 09:12:53 pm by 3 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:24:03 pm »

Oh yes, that was from my own inexperience with graphics packs, and from the fact that I predicted the process would be simpler than it turned out to be. Pay it no mind~~
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 11:16:44 pm »

Mike Mayday's pack has the problem that it is not vanilla DF; it makes several other changes to the game (most notably the cat mouth fix and the economic stone mod). These may be useful, but they lead newbies to make misleading statements ("I'm running vanilla DF; why can't I use alunite for anything?") and are generally a cause of confusion. I recognize the desire for simplicity, and the desire to have more control over what stones get used, but I'd rather that the Mayday pack didn't include the economic stones mod (the cat mouth fix, no problem, since I've never seen it be a source of confusion).
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 11:28:52 pm »

Interesting, I've heard it changed languages around but I didn't know it used other stuff.

Unfortunately it is the only graphics mod I know of where you don't have to manually install it to he game.

Blood-Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 08:13:38 am »

Mike Mayday's pack has the problem that it is not vanilla DF; it makes several other changes to the game (most notably the cat mouth fix and the economic stone mod). These may be useful, but they lead newbies to make misleading statements ("I'm running vanilla DF; why can't I use alunite for anything?") and are generally a cause of confusion. I recognize the desire for simplicity, and the desire to have more control over what stones get used, but I'd rather that the Mayday pack didn't include the economic stones mod (the cat mouth fix, no problem, since I've never seen it be a source of confusion).

i don't want to make a new thread for this but what does the economic stone mod do?
also, how can i remove it from my installation?
Einsam stehn die schwarzen Zinnen,
Trotzen aller Zeiten Wirren.
So auch ich, komm sei mein Zeug:
Blutend, aber ungebeugt!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 10:05:16 am »

i don't want to make a new thread for this but what does the economic stone mod do?
also, how can i remove it from my installation?

The all-economic-stones mod just makes it so you can use the z-Stone menu to toggle off and on the availability of any type of stone for Dwarven use.  Otherwise, when you tell them to make 20 tables you might get 7 granite (gray), 4 alunite (white), 6 microcline (bright cyan), 2 orthoclase (bright yellow), and 1 realgar (bright red).  The only other way you can control that is to forbid all stones of that type from the z-Stock menu, which has the bad side-effect of forbidding everything already made of that stone, such as your workshops.

It should be either in a standalone file named appropriately, or inside the reactions file.  It is a smelter operation requiring one of everything, and creating nothing.

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.