Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Help make my game enjoyable for myself!  (Read 1183 times)

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
Help make my game enjoyable for myself!
« on: November 26, 2009, 08:36:13 pm »

I've kina gotten bored off Dwarf Fortress lately, does anybody have a way to make this game enjoyable for myself again?

*enjoyable is not that kind of fun

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help make my game enjoyable for myself!
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 09:58:26 pm »

Don't play and come back in a year, separation increases ones feelings of longing and makes time with that special someone even more magi-  Oh, you mean your OTHER romantic interest. 

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 10:00:15 pm »

Yeah, take a little break, maybe don't play at all until the next version.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 10:43:25 pm »

Isnt there a page on the wiki about "goal-based dwarf fortress"?

Maybe try to think out some clever advanced mechanism-stuff. Make a rube-goldberg with water! Collect goblins, stuff as many as possible (live ones) into a pit, and somehow put cats in the same pit. Goblin-bigbrother show, that doubles as a cat-reduction machine!
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 10:47:02 pm »

Play Adventure Mode, or yeah, wait til the next release.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 10:55:08 pm »

I myself am employing the "just don't play" strategy. It has been about a year or maybe longer since I played.

I am planning on trying out after this next release but there are a few more things that need to be in place before I start playing Dwarf Fortress more regularly.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 11:46:48 pm »

Try some good mods. It may add some difference, however it make take not a long time. but still...
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 12:10:46 am »

Step outside of your box. Everyone has a specific set of things they look for; embark with an anvil instead of without one, with unskilled dwarves instead of skilled ones, etc.

Limit your fort to the original 7. Try a new biome - I just started with a glacier this time; but it seems a bit too easy.

SkyRender

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Sky Render's Domain
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 12:38:25 am »

Here's an interesting quest for you: try to outdo Queen Tholtig Cryptbrain the Waning Diamond for highest kills and embark on a cleanse-the-world quest in Adventure mode.  For extra challenge, try to do it without savescumming (good luck at that, though).  ProTip: Shield User skill will save your butt countless times if you attempt this.
Sanity is for the weak.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 03:51:31 am »

Change it up, hard mods, don't use certain stuff, don't use cheats. etc.

Play something else, seems to be one that works well for myself. Find it hilarious when I'm like... "Man I could so do that in Dwarf Fortress! This game sucks!"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 03:53:36 am by Shaostoul »
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2009, 03:58:50 am »

Play without unnatural pauses. In other words, never pause the game, only let it pause itself. So if you go to dinner, etc, you leave it running.

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 04:18:40 am »

Would building stuff be considered natural or are you destined to wait?
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 05:10:39 am »

I was thinking about it. It would be quite challenging to have to wait until the game paused because you found more stone, and then rush out all your pent-up commands. It could be done.

I was more thinking how I play (and how I've always played sim games) - I'll leave them running when I get up to get a drink, etc, and sometimes I'll find interesting messages when I get back. ;)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 11:16:52 am »

I've been doing that lately, it's made for more chance of mishaps and Fun. It's a good idea.

I think the waiting until something pops up that pauses it, might be a little hard, especially if you have "pause on load = off" mainly for new forts.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:03:12 pm »

Go play spelunky instead.
Pages: [1] 2