Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RIP Kosoth the Blind.  (Read 1766 times)

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
RIP Kosoth the Blind.
« on: November 26, 2009, 12:13:41 am »

I just lost a dwarf.

Now, this would, ordinarily, be nothing. But Kosoth was special. Never one to let the world get him down, he wandered to the fortress of Fencedchaste.
After recruitment into the military, he trained up to a legendary wrestler, surviving the plague of giant bats, but just barely picking up a hammer before a stray blow struck him, causing minor brain damage.
He was left on duty regardless, as he refused to spar.
Later, a goblin arrow strained his neck, fractured his skull, and removed both eyes.
Again, he bounced back, gaining frightening amounts of skill with his hammer in the next siege.

Sadly, this came to an end in the very late winter, when he was sent on a special mission to chase down and take out a pack of wolves, near the chasm.
He was successful at first, making his way there, and killing a wolf.
Sadly, the second wolf tore his throat out before he could strike. However, he stuck a mighty blow with his last, blood-soaked, pus-spraying breath, crushing the wolf's pelvis, and rupturing the spleen, stomach, and left kidney.

RIP Kosoth. You will be remembered as a true hero.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
Re: RIP Kosoth the Blind.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 02:55:14 am »

I had a dorf lose both eyes and get neck damage from a single wolfbite, so I commiserate.

Poor, poor Unib Logemgeb.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 02:56:55 am »

Rest in peace, indeed. Sounds like a real champ.

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 03:01:14 am »

Lucky for him to have gone out in a blaze of glory.

The last dwarf I had to lose a throat went out far more miserably.

She had just spent a year recovering from a leg injury inflicted by angry treants. The same day she returned to duty, a goblin arrow tore through her windpipe and sprained her brain in the middle of the melee, and she half-staggered, half-crawled away pathetically, frantically clawing at the hole in her throat, before finally dying in a bloody puddle against the wall of my fortress.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Limul Thak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2009, 03:11:56 am »

You've got to love a game that by default gives you two hundred individuals and lets them develop their own detailed stories... much like Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. 8)
This game is so strange.
The horses have TEEN ANGST.

jocan2003

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 06:33:29 pm »

actually legend mode if what i prefer after playing a fort, just to read each and every dwarf history.
Quote from: LoSboccacc
that was a luky dwarf. I had one dabbling surgeon fail so spectacularly that the patient skull flew a tile away from the table.
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF.
Quote from: Girlinhat
Minecraft UI is very simple. There's only so many ways you can implement "simple" without copying something. We also gonna complain that it uses WASD?

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 09:32:02 pm »

You've got to love a game that by default gives you two hundred individuals and lets them develop their own detailed stories... much like Spoon River Anthology by Edgar Lee Masters. 8)

200? This fort's only had about 120 dwarves so far.
Current population: 87.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

snaggles

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:54:32 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That goblin was one badass marksgoblin.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:03:11 pm »

Well it is more that the Goblin is able to shoot in five dimensions.

yaklin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:27:27 pm »

rest in pieces Kosoth the Blind

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 11:17:39 pm »

Growing attached to dwarves is a hard and sometimes a stupid thing to do, but some dwarves just deserve to be loved, even by the people controlling them. Like Kosoth the Blind, Urist McGimpypants (one of my dwarves who had an aweful military career), and all the other dwarves out there who should have been killed and put out of their misery and just kept on fighting.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

uberubert

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2009, 12:01:21 am »

...a goblin arrow strained his neck, fractured his skull, and removed both eyes...

Someone needs to illustrate this with a drawing :O

Edit: I need to start reading entire thread before replying.. xP
Uberubert cancels forum post: Interrupted by Dwarf Fortress

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2009, 12:14:58 am »

It will be cooler when dwarves with sort of wound will scar over and still be able to follow normal job commands.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Firnagzen

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_INSANE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:18:08 am »

Doin' it wrong. The crossbow bolt passes through both eye sockets horizontally, yes. The neck is strained because bolts are heavy, unlike modern bullets, and can in fact transfer sufficient momentum to slam his head over, thus straining his neck.

See? There's a rational explanation.
Christ, are you dwarves or are you elves? If you think Hell has too many demons, then you kill them till the population reaches an acceptable number.

silhouette

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 03:48:22 am »

Doin' it wrong. The crossbow bolt passes through both eye sockets horizontally, yes. The neck is strained because bolts are heavy, unlike modern bullets, and can in fact transfer sufficient momentum to slam his head over, thus straining his neck.

See? There's a rational explanation.
Go away with your science and let us dulge into fantasty with our super goblin archers and our bottomless pits.
# PowerGoal49, SCREAM BALL, (Future): Trolls take the captives and see if they can throw them all the way over the chasm to each other.
---
SCREW EVERYTHING ELSE! I WANT THIS!
Pages: [1] 2