Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30

Author Topic: Smoke  (Read 21430 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Smoke
« Reply #270 on: December 02, 2009, 10:20:55 am »

Last time I checked non-smoking doesnt hurt anyone, now does it?
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: December 02, 2009, 10:37:29 am »

Yes, yes you do hurt other people. In many, many ways.

The only thing I was trying to say was this: He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone.

Are you without sin? Are you really capable of saying that in your entire life you made my life in no way whatsoever worse?
Especially if you're aware of the Ceasar's Last Breath, you're delusional if you really think that.

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 
will rena,eme sique to sique sxds-- siquo if sucessufil
(cant spel siqou a. every speling looks wroing (hate this))

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: December 02, 2009, 11:10:37 am »

All Siquo is saying is just because you don't enjoy something that's not harmless doesn't mean it's worthless and/or should be banned.
Nicotine is a drug that by all sense and logic should be as illegal as LSD, the only reason it is not is because the ciggy companies were too well established to shut down when dangerous and addictive drugs started getting outlawed and make far too much money (both for themselves and for the government) to be shut down. That, combined with the scarily high addiction rate, near social acceptability and few serious short term effects all combine to allow millions of people every year to happily poison themselves with an exceedingly toxic cocktail of addictive chemicals while thougherly enjoying the expierence.
For example, LSD shouldn't be illegal.  When you read that, you're going to dig up or spout claims that LSD is dangerous.  You'll say it can provoke psychosis, or make people jump off buildings.  You might even say outright falsehoods like "it's a poison" or "it makes your brain bleed."  Then I would say something like "some of the most amazing experiences of my life were on acid" and that even though I haven't touched the stuff for some time and have no intention of doing so again I have absolutely no regrets.  I'm not sure what you'd say then, but I suspect it would be very negative.  Maybe you'd say I have insane addict logic, maybe you'd just ignore me.  I don't know if you'd say "the risk some people experience overrides the enjoyment you allegedly get" but I can all-but-guarantee you would think it--it's been the subtext for most of the anti-smoking sentiment in this thread.  Somewhere along the line you and some of the other folks in here have picked up the idea that people who like fun things that you don't can't have valid reasons if there's a health risk involved.  Or maybe its just that you have strong, irrational negative reactions towards anything a certain set of authority figures deems negative.  Regardless, I feel sorry for you and anyone who lives in a jurisdiction where your petty, puritanical vote counts.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:39:04 am by nil »

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: December 02, 2009, 11:17:28 am »

People can smoke if they want to. Their lungs. Second hand smoke is of negligible danger, even if you work in a bar where people still smoke. If you're whining about people smoking in the open air, or god forbid, on their own property, it's just the smell that bothers you.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: December 02, 2009, 11:29:17 am »

...even if you work in a bar where people still smoke...
I actually disagree here; I think people who work in smoky environments are pretty much the only people with a right to complain.  Officially that's supposed to be the reason behind those bans, though scanning this thread (and most any thread on the subject I've seen on the internet) makes it clear that for most people it really is just about the smell (as you said).  The only people to even bring up workers are you and I, everywhere else it's all "me me me."

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #275 on: December 02, 2009, 11:35:02 am »

I'm going to stop shooting at random passers-by when the world governments decide to stop killing each other in wars! I'm going to stop shoving greasy burgers down other people's throats when everyone converts to veganism!

But you're not gonna stop driving a car when we stop smoking.

Of course not, because my example was not valid as it was intentionally idiotic, while the smoking / car case is unintentionally idiotic. But your reply makes a few things clear now, since you believed that shooting people randomly until the governments stop wars is reasonable.

Does the term "nuance" mean nothing to you?  Wildly different scenarios do in fact merit treating functionally similar issues with different answers.

But of course, if you're going to invent a purposefully idiotic example, then claim that a reasonable response is proof that the person you're arguing with believes your outrageous example, and then grant the other person none of the post-facto sophistication of your argument, then you're probably not going to listen to any differing opinion or take the time to hash specific answers to specific cases.

Reading comprehension fail.

Y'all say: I'll stop forcing you to smoke when you stop driving cars!
I say: I'll stop murdering when wars stop.
Y'all say: Ok, that makes sense. We're both right!

Ok, let's stop the stupid analogies and just point this out:

I'm 100% sure that if tomorrow, every single person in the world stops polluting, not a single smoker in this board will stop smoking.

Tell me I'm wrong and that it's not just an excuse to not stop smoking. Like "I'll stop smoking when hell freezes over!" == "I'll stop smoking when there's world peace and unicorns and rainbows and everybody loves each other" == "I'll stop smoking when y'all go green!"
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 11:39:54 am by Sergius »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: December 02, 2009, 11:45:52 am »

I'll stop smoking when this thread dies.

19 pages, people.  19.  Pages.  Nothing has been accomplished except getting people irked.
Shoes...

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: December 02, 2009, 11:47:09 am »

19 pages, people.  19.  Pages.  Nothing has been accomplished except getting people irked.
Irking people is an addiction as potent as any tobacco.

kcwong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: December 02, 2009, 12:07:00 pm »

Second hand smoke is of negligible danger, even if you work in a bar where people still smoke.

Get your facts straight.

You think governments banning smoking in public places for fun? You think they do it for the votes of non-smokers over smokers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking

All the studies (that are not funded by cigarette companies) showed passive smoking cause significant increase in smoking-related diseases in non-smokers.

codezero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #279 on: December 02, 2009, 12:17:42 pm »

You're one of these guys that wears a mask when he goes out hey? Or is the smell of it irritating your symptoms?

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: December 02, 2009, 12:20:59 pm »

Second hand smoke is of negligible danger, even if you work in a bar where people still smoke.

Get your facts straight.

You think governments banning smoking in public places for fun? You think they do it for the votes of non-smokers over smokers?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Passive_smoking

All the studies (that are not funded by cigarette companies) showed passive smoking cause significant increase in smoking-related diseases in non-smokers.
I'm sure I've seen another study that said that the effects of passive smoking weren't all that bad. Not paid for by a cigarette company, by the way. Your post is also somewhat aggressive, considering that I'm expressing an opinion on the internet, not blowing smoke in your face.

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: December 02, 2009, 01:25:32 pm »

Irking people is an addiction as potent as any tobacco.
Oh, that's a good one to add to my addictions-I-need-to-quit thread!

This one thread is mine. MIIIIINE!!! And it will remain a happy, friendly, encouraging place, whether you lot like it or not. 

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: December 02, 2009, 01:31:47 pm »

Reading comprehension fail.
Indeed. On your part.

Y'all say: I'll stop forcing you to smoke when you stop driving cars!
That's not what W'all said. What W'all said was:

W'all: We'll allow you to bash us for smoking once you stop driving cars!
Y'all: NO THAT MAKES NONSENSE CAMELS DON'T RUN UP BLUE!
W'all: I don't think you're listening.
Y'all: DON'T GIVE ME THAT ADDICT LOGIC DO I NEED TO REPEAT MYSELF?!@?!one!1

So try reading first, before blaming other people they don't read.
Try stop polluting first, before blaming other people they pollute your air.
To do another biblequote: Matthew 7:3 "And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the wooden beam that is in thine own eye?"

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: December 02, 2009, 01:37:02 pm »

This thread is like a fan.  It spins and spins and spins but never actually goes anywhere, and after a while you get cold and turn it off.  It is really cold in here right now.
Shoes...

Siquo

• Bay Watcher
  • Procedurally generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #284 on: December 02, 2009, 01:38:02 pm »

Nah, I'm waiting for the actual proverbial shit to hit it  ;D

Pages: 1 ... 17 18 [19] 20 21 ... 30