Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Water, how to do away with it  (Read 1059 times)

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Water, how to do away with it
« on: November 25, 2009, 05:51:25 pm »

hello

I have made myself a nice little fortress, and i'm about to make the final touches to my obsidian farm.

its a basic build, like the one in the wiki (the one without floodgates controling the magma)

i have everything set up - but i have one final 'detail' to add

what to do with the water once its cooled the magma?

there's no underground rivers on my map (after generating the 20th world, only to find no 10x10 embark location with flux, magma pipes and undergrounds AND sand, i nixed the river and got it on my first try) and there's no chasms. this means there's nowhere i can just lead the water to get rid of it...

i've considered pumping it to the surface and just hosing it out on the ground... hoping it'll flow out over the game zone and away

a bit wasteful perhaps, but the brook i'm draining the water from isn't running dry any time soon.

i am open to suggestions on how to do otherwise?
i cant see any other real options...

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Water, how to do away with it
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 06:32:25 pm »

Water evaporates when the depth is low. (1-2).

So you can have a "drain" that is just a mammoth room with a weak flow entering - it just spreads out so much it evaporates away.

You need to be careful about the size of the flow though. Making a controlled set of floodgates, doors, hatches, or even bridges to make sure you can block the input flow is pretty much rule number one to dealing with any type of flow in DF. You don't have to seal off the entire brook necessarily - just the entrance to your channels.

As long as you can stop the flow of water into the area, you can wait as long as you need to for the spread out water to evaporate.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 06:38:11 pm »

Furthermore, since you're using water to make obsidian, the water instantly evaporates anyway upon contact with magma.

webkilla

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 06:46:12 pm »

Furthermore, since you're using water to make obsidian, the water instantly evaporates anyway upon contact with magma.

not all of it... intend to just open a direct floodline from the brook to the magma-room...

then close the floodgate once the're no more magma and the room is full of water

but i'll keep the drain thing in mind

Askot Bokbondeler

• Bay Watcher
  • please line up orderly
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 07:02:19 pm »

pour magma on it...er...

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 08:47:53 pm »

A simple trick is: Dig to the edge of the map (eg. there will be only one single tile that's undiggable at the edge), smooth the end, and then carve it into fortifications. The water will flow out from there much like it does off the edge of the map, and as you can put these drains underground wherever is easiest, it works wonders. Just don't carve in near a water table / aquifer - you'll get permanent flow IN, much like a brook. Not sure exactly how this second part works, but I know some people have had trouble with this, so perhaps save beforehand just in case.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 10:07:05 pm »

Instead of pouring the brook directly onto your magma, I suggest building a cistern above the magma that's the same size as the room below it, and is floored with a retractable bridge. Fill the cistern with water, cut off the connection to the brook, then retract the bridge. The water falls down and makes obsidian, and very little should be left over.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 11:35:55 am »

Water evaporates when the depth is low. (1-2).

So you can have a "drain" that is just a mammoth room with a weak flow entering - it just spreads out so much it evaporates away.

You need to be careful about the size of the flow though. Making a controlled set of floodgates, doors, hatches, or even bridges to make sure you can block the input flow is pretty much rule number one to dealing with any type of flow in DF. You don't have to seal off the entire brook necessarily - just the entrance to your channels.

As long as you can stop the flow of water into the area, you can wait as long as you need to for the spread out water to evaporate.

I do this, except the "mammoth room" is actually a circular pool surrounding a crypt for my city manager.
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils