Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Vermin are not nice to eat.  (Read 1546 times)

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Vermin are not nice to eat.
« on: November 25, 2009, 04:06:50 pm »

If I wanted to get rid of dwarves abilities to look for vermin to eat when starving, instead of butchering animals, would I, and how would I be able to go about this?
A dwarf is nothing but an alcohol powered beard.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Vermin are not nice to eat.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 04:14:27 pm »

One problem with this is that turtles and small fish, caught by your fisherdwarves, are technically also vermin.
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:29:31 pm »

it shouldnt affect fishing.. I just want to change the way the game treats starvation, so the dwarves can ignore it and go back to work.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:34:44 pm »

Add [NO_EAT] to dwarves?
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 06:27:05 pm »

You could maybe try giving them the CARNIVORE tag -- it shouldn't work but it might.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 06:50:38 pm »

Add [NO_EAT] to dwarves?
that would mean that dwarves wouldnt eat at all, which is not quite what I want but could be a viable option.

You could maybe try giving them the CARNIVORE tag -- it shouldn't work but it might.

Wouldnt work, I've played as goblins handful of times or so and they manage to run around eating mice.

Foxbyte

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2009, 01:58:18 am »

If I wanted to get rid of dwarves abilities to look for vermin to eat when starving, instead of butchering animals, would I, and how would I be able to go about this?

Mod out the offending vermin?
There is an engraving of three dwarves in a dining room. The third dwarf is a soaper.

NRN_R_Sumo1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 09:27:00 am »

Mod out the offending vermin?

..they would still search for them to eat.
That would only worsen the problem, as it isnt vermin offending, its simply dwarves.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 09:47:43 am »

Pretty sure dwarves starvation behaviors are hardcoded.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 10:01:37 am »

What you want is for them to understand that butchering leads to food, not just hunting vermin.  I agree that this is likely hardcoded, and not possible to override.

Try giving every Dwarf the butchering job assignment.  Be sure that you have some animals marked for slaughter.  Then maybe one of them will manage to butcher something and get the food chain running at the level you desire.   :)

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 06:35:23 pm »

One problem with this is that turtles and small fish, caught by your fisherdwarves, are technically also vermin.

Although true, I don't think that's the problem. Turtles and fish, when caught by the "Fish" labor, are dead and can only be eaten after going through the fishery.

A major problem, however, is live vermin. The ones running around on their own, it seems dwarves will only chase when starving. But any that have been trapped, dwarves apparently adore; they will run across the fortress, away from the dining room and the food stores with lots and lots of food that's all over their pref strings, to grab that fresh-caught fire snake and take it back to the dining room to munch on. This is singularly nasty in the case of vermin that have a further economic use - extracts and, especially, milking - but can be a nuisance with pretty much anything.

Unfortunately, I have to agree with the general consensus that this can't be altered on our end; we'll have to wait for Toady to do something about it.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 11:02:37 pm »

Although true, I don't think that's the problem. Turtles and fish, when caught by the "Fish" labor, are dead and can only be eaten after going through the fishery.

When I wrote that, I thought he wanted to make all vermin inedible/uncatchable/non-existant because he didn't like the idea of his Dwarves eating vermin.  I didn't realize that he just wanted them to butcher animals instead.  If he managed to prevent vermin from spawning, he would ruin his fishing as well.  Turtles can be eaten raw, by the way, as can mussels which are also vermin.  No fishery is needed for those.  :)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 11:13:44 pm »

^^^ Wait, they don't even have to be cleaned?  Are you sure?  I think some fish (or "fish") can be cooked without being cleaned, but...
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 11:17:26 pm by Footkerchief »

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 12:05:46 am »

You have to turn it from "raw ***" to "***" before you can cook it, and you use a fish cleaner for this. There's no way around it.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 12:07:38 am »

You have to turn it from "raw ***" to "***" before you can cook it, and you use a fish cleaner for this. There's no way around it.

I never had a fortress where anyone actually caught an oyster, but supposedly you can cook those (and mussels, and cave lobsters) without cleaning them. 
Pages: [1] 2