Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help Request - Cannot Make Custom Armor  (Read 1635 times)

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
Help Request - Cannot Make Custom Armor
« on: November 25, 2009, 02:04:13 pm »

I am in the process of making a mod that will hopefully add 19 or so civs to the game (themed around an incomplete pen&paper RPG I've been sporadically writing for a few years.)  In an effort to make the civs have some amount of unique flavor, and because they're rather different in size and anatomy than the vanilla races, they will all have custom weapons and equipment (and custom fluff like toys/instruments as well.)

The weapons I've added so far have worked out all right, but I've run into a snag with the armors.  The game recognizes that they exist - in adventure mode I was able to go and buy and equip some pieces on my modded race.  However, the race in question has no "Armor Use" training option in Adventure mode, and in Fortress mode none of the armors show up in the workshops - and all my peasants start out naked.  I've run through the raws a few times and I can't seem to find what I'm missing or what I have that I shouldn't which would be prohibiting my race from making and using armor normally.  For some reason, I can make shields - although it lets me make them out of leather, which is... odd.  I don't know of any way of disabling that since [HARD] and [METAL] don't seem to be valid tokens for shields.

The entity raw is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
and the raw for the custom armors is
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help Request - Cannot Make Custom Armor
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 03:45:09 pm »

What's the errorlog say? Usually when this happens to me, it's because I've put the filename as different to the document header.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 04:34:46 pm »

It has no entry in the errorlog whatsoever.  As far as its existence is concerned, the armor is working fine.  It's something in the relation between armor and entity that is going wrong.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 04:49:56 pm »

Perhaps the problem is in the Creature Raws. I take it they have [EQUIPS]? It might be possible to equip something in adventure mode without it.
That's my only idea beyond the ever popular something is misspelt/duplicated/data-objects full of junk.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help Request - Cannot Make Custom Armor [Resolved]
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 05:16:25 pm »

Well, I found the error, and it was indeed in the creature raw.  They had [EQUIPS], but somehow they also got left with the [NARROW] tag (I started all the creatures by copy-pasting others, so apparently I forgot to get rid of that tag.)  I didn't initially think it would be a problem, since I know there's a mod where you use Kobolds as your civ race, but I guess they found some other way around it in that mod.

Either way, I removed the [NARROW] tag and created a new world, and now Armor User is an appropriately listed skill and their equipment can be purchased on embark, which I am going to conclude means I'll be able to craft it as well once I have a leatherworks started up again.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 05:36:49 pm »

As long as it's COMMON, armour they ought to be able to make it.