Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Getting animals out of the dining room.  (Read 2371 times)

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
Getting animals out of the dining room.
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:21:10 pm »

My fortress is being overrun with cattle. While I cull their numbers regularly, I find it quite annoying that they all gather in my meeting halls and statuary gardens, blocking thoroughfares and, presumably, pooping all over the place.

In the past, I've tried designating animal pits with securely closed doors, but every time I have a cull, the butchers end up letting all the animals out and I end up wasting a bunch of time having to designate all the animals for re-pitting again.

I've also tried chaining the mothers up to keep the babies in line, but that takes a lot of maintinendce, a lot of chains that could be made into armor and weapons, and as my population grows I keep having to do it all over again.

Does anyone have a reliable method of getting the cattle out of the dining room that doesn't take quite so much time?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Getting animals out of the dining room.
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:27:14 pm »

Stuff them all into a single cage.

b - j, q - a - enter over every cow.

They won't be in your dining room, but they won't be able to breed while they're in there. Any animals that were pregnant will give birth, however.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:35:26 pm »

You have two options, basically. The first is cages; just toss all the animals into cages and they'll of course stay out of the way. However, they stop breeding once they're in cages.

The second is to abuse traffic designations. Animals ignore traffic designations, so they'll always prefer a short, but marked as low-traffic route over a longer, but high-traffic route:
Code: [Select]
##########
...HHHHHH#
##R#####H#
##R#...#H#
##R+...#H#
##.#...+H#
##.#...#.#
##.#####.#
##.......#
##########
The animals will cluster around the door leading to the Restricted path, while the dwarves will always come in via the other door.

Edit: note that in the latter case, the animals will be continually spamming the pathfinding algorithm to try to find a way to your meeting zones. This is a drain on FPS. Thus, I suggest putting a drawbridge or floodgate down the access corridor to physically cut off your corrals from the rest of the fortress. That should stop them from trying to go to your meeting areas. You can restore access when you need to cull the animals; during that period you'll experience an FPS hit, but the animals shouldn't actually get out.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:37:36 pm by Derakon »
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:41:33 pm »

Yeah, caging's out due to their not breeding - if I was willing to kill my meal / leatherworking industries, I'd just have them all slaughtered and not even have to worry about the cages.

The path cost idea is interesting, though. I don't have a problem with blocking access to the pit entirely when I'm not culling the herd, it's just the mass escape that happens when I do - I'll try this, thanks.

Sevrun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:57:16 pm »

Maybe I'm just old fashioned... but why not just use chains?  have to do something with all the plant fiber other than make pants :p
Demon of Darkness

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:04:30 pm »

Chains usually work, but if they're too close to a meeting hall, they'll continually spam the pathfinding code to try to get there - when they do this, they'll constantly flash with a dark brown background (meaning "prone"/"lying down" - they're actually constantly yanking at their chains and falling over).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Teiwaz

• Bay Watcher
  • [BABYSNATCHER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 02:29:03 pm »

Also, chains are a substantial amount of work to place and maintain, and creates a demand for more and more of them as the animal population keeps growing.

garfield751

• Bay Watcher
  • Aaauuugggghhhh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 02:48:34 pm »

why not build a pit with 4 retracting drawbridges linked to their own levers and when you need more leather you pull one of those levers dropping roughly 25% of the animals down like 10z levels for your butchers to cut up and your bonecrafters to use.

http://www.mkv25.net/dfma/poi-17411-thepit
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:58:40 pm by garfield751 »

darkflagrance

• Bay Watcher
  • Carry on, carry on
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 05:24:50 pm »

why not build a pit with 4 retracting drawbridges linked to their own levers and when you need more leather you pull one of those levers dropping roughly 25% of the animals down like 10z levels for your butchers to cut up and your bonecrafters to use.

I think that only works for meat/leather if the animals are wild though.
...as if nothing really matters...

The Legend of Tholtig Cryptbrain: 8000 dead elves and a cyclops

Tired of going decades without goblin sieges? Try The Fortress Defense Mod

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 05:33:11 pm »

If resources are an issue with building chains, make ropes instead. Cloth is much easier to come by than metal.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 05:45:31 pm »

I think that only works for meat/leather if the animals are wild though.

Designate every animal in the breeding pit for slaughter, drop them only 1-2 z-levels into a non-pet-exitable chamber with a butcher's shop in it, and then when part of the floor disappears beneath them some of your animals will drop down and relatively quickly get butchered. It works fairly well; the main difficulty I've had with such a design in the past is that animals will often not move around inside the breeding chamber, so they all are clustered on top of one bridge, so it's sort of all or nothing. Making multiple entry pits helps mitigate this, as does making that place a meeting zone (though that makes the animals pathfind around and thus eat some FPS).
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 05:47:00 pm »

What I do is have a few chained up, and stuff the rest in a cage.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 08:48:56 pm »

So, curious question, but if I stuff cow calves into cages, will they still mature into adult cows?

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 08:49:13 pm »

Yes.

Hortun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 09:03:03 pm »

Pages: [1] 2