Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Deon's elves and ratmen  (Read 2925 times)

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Deon's elves and ratmen
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:06:38 pm »

I've made a bunch of graphic sets for myself and everyone likes to post their depiction of ASCII buggers, so I thought "why not".

Here's my style for elves, includes all (but woodcrafter/bowyer) basic "allowed" professions.

Peasant, trader/merchant, clothier, weaver, herbalist, animal caretaker, druid, child, baby
Military elves

1) Ratman, child, baby, drunk, trader/merchant, noble (administrator, mayor etc.), hammerer, diplomat (liaison, guild representative, etc.), high noble (duke, count, baron etc.), philosopher, king
2) miner, woodcutter/woodworker, farmer (any), stoneworker (any), crafter (any), fisherman, fish cleaner/dissector, mechanic (any), metalworker (any)/furnace operator, gem cutter/setter, ranger/animal caretaker/trainer/trapper
3) recruit, wrestler, swordsman, maceman, axeman, hammerman, spearman, bowman, crossbowman
4) <empty>, champion, swordmaster, mace lord, axe lord, hammer lord, spearmaster, master bowman, master crossbowman
5) priest/high priest, thief/master thief, prisoner/slave
I obviously missed something so let me know :D

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 11:31:22 pm by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

bobsnewaddress

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Deon's elves.
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 12:56:11 am »

Fantastic work there Deon. Do you have any sprites for Elite soldiers or Elf Champions in the works?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Deon's elves.
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 01:01:02 am »

The goal is to make all of them. I have none in the work currently because I make them instantly, I mean I don't spend hours on a single sprite :). I will upload them later along with other creatures.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Deon's elves and ratmen
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2009, 07:17:50 am »

I've made ratmen graphics based on that ratmen I drew for a stonesense. I don't remember if there's a ratman mod, but I tried to make it so any profession would have an appropriate picture.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2009, 05:50:24 am »

OK, nobody feels like commenting on my ratmen... Fine... Today I was fired so expect some NASTY noble sprites! >:E
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2009, 09:07:30 am »

Oh dear. Sorry to hear that, Deon
It wasn't for making sprites during workhours, was it?

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 09:17:34 am »

It was a TINY bit of that :D. Actually, it's mostly because of the upcoming university session.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2009, 03:35:31 am »

Belatedly weighing in - I haven't played with alternate civs yet, but bumping up the beastmen slightly and going with them is an intriguing concept. Rats would fit with the underground much as dwarves do(at least going by the fact that they're found in subterranean biomes), so that's definitely a plus.

Now all I need to do is start playing with graphics...

(Edit) I think I'm attached enough to this notion that I just might try knocking together a civ for them. *deepbreath* Combine that with trying to get graphics to work... I don't know how much luck I'll have using e.g. DFG as a base; I don't think my computer likes the 40d## series very much(substantially slower on world gen, site finder, etc).

But I'll see what I can do!
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 07:12:05 am by Shurhaian »
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2009, 09:15:23 am »

Those sprites are awesome Deon - I think I'm going to have to condense my dwarves I made for Stonesense too to make a crazy awesome graphics set.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2009, 03:08:49 pm »

I'm trying to make heads or tails of the graphics file format, and so far I'm just giving myself a headache.

First things first - I have a playable civ that I've quickly knocked together, I'll see if that's at least somewhat workable.

Can anyone clarify how I'm supposed to delimit the different professions in the graphics config file? I get the x/y position(0-initial?), and I gather that any specific profession that's absent will fall back to the "category" of that profession just like non-graphical dwarves do, but the later attributes on those tokens are confusing me.

(Edit: I'm not trying to be a lazy leech with that. If I can just figure out how it works, I'll be glad to post a spoiler'd graphics .txt for the ratmen. Or Murin, as I'm calling mine, leaving the noncivilised ratmen alone. They still have craftsrats etc, though.)

(Further edit: I think I've got the gist of the format. The nobles are all that's giving me a headache now - I don't know what the "default professions" for them are, that I can just point them to the appropriate spots on that first line, so I might wind up with a lot of things pointing to the same place just to be sure they're covered.)

(Additional edit: No elite wrestlers? That's the only single omission that jumps out at me.)

(Edited ONE MORE TIME: The magenta background is apparently not exactly 255, 0, 255. It's still showing up as magenta in-game. Otherwise nice tiles though!)
« Last Edit: November 28, 2009, 09:31:36 pm by Shurhaian »

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2009, 03:46:14 am »

Wait, did you save it as PNG, convert via MS Paint to 24 bit bmp and still have wrong magenta? It may be an issue of the file hosting :(.

Anyway, no, they do not revert to default professions, they revert to default sprite, which means no professions.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2009, 04:39:47 am »

i really like the military elves.

im using mayday's pack from ages ago, and my elves mostly show up as the same. how do i get your elves in there so i can see them in adventure mode, and when they invade my fort?

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2009, 04:50:43 am »

I hadn't tried that conversion because the example graphics file comes with 40d16 as a PNG...

And having tried it, I can confirm that it works no better. :/ Every single rat has a magenta background. Except, in the status listing, peasants(haven't got migrants yet); they have a *darker* magenta background.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2009, 03:51:04 am »

Sorry for the double post, but - apparently it's not that either. A friend of mine with photo-editing software confirmed that the magenta in the ratmen tilepage is #FF00FF, just like another one I sent - the Mayday pack's animals.png - which I know to be working fine.

So I'm really at a loss, here. Everything I can find suggests it should work... but it doesn't. It puts the graphics in, but it fails to do the proper colour masking - for this file only.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2009, 08:55:07 pm »

I'm not too keen on elves, and haven't touched that particular tileset yet. But I did get the ratmen working.

Tip: If you take a screenshot with PrintScreen, paste it into Paint(or your photo-editing tool of choice), and crop down to just the 176x80 magenta portion, that seems to clear whatever funky metadata was causing a rendering problem. I've got it working fine under PNG; I imagine it'd work similarly well converted to a 24-bit bitmap for 40d, but since I'm using 40d16, I haven't done so myself.

Here's a functional graphics file for it.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

With that file saved as raw/graphics/graphics_ratman.txt and the tile page as raw/graphics/ratman/ratman.png and graphics turned on in data/init/init.txt, it should work. If you already have a graphics set installed, you'll want to go into its own .txt and remove any entry it has for [CREATURE_GRAPHICS:RATMAN](and until the next CREATURE_GRAPHICS token), but other than that it can install alongside existing graphics.

My playable ratman civ is as yet horribly unbalanced and not all that distinct from dwarves; I'm also playing with some other things as I go. But the .txt file includes every entry in the example .txt, so there shouldn't be any outright missing professions - only peasants should look like peasants(and, perhaps, regular ratmen on the map if playing without a ratman civ).

Anyway, so far so good, finally!

I haven't had major nobles arrive yet. One oddity so far, though: the expidition leader will show up with the "king/queen" graphics. This is not the case for the mayor; I don't know if the king is defined as the "site leader" or not. If not, then [LEADER:RATS:10:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT] could be replaced by [LEADER:RATS:5:0:AS_IS:DEFAULT] to use the standard "noble" graphic, or whatever else.

And here's the working .PNG file. Why this works when one with the same colours in the same place doesn't is beyond me, but anyway:

« Last Edit: December 05, 2009, 09:34:12 pm by Shurhaian »

Pages: [1] 2