Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Rogue Trader: Cthulhu Edition  (Read 8901 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Rogue Trader: Cthulhu Edition
« on: November 25, 2009, 11:51:09 am »

Alright!  This is what's going on!  My quarter is over, so I now have all the time in the world to devote to RPG-ing.  All day, every day, until some time in January.  Maybe a little bit of missed time sporadically for going places with friends, but that'll be with a few days' notice.

In other words:

Gentlemen.

ROOOOGUE TRAAAAADEERRRRR

I'm starting a Rogue Trader game.  Aqizzar seems to be winging his for the most part, and while that's cool it's not hugely enormously my cup of tea.  Also there's some weird stuff going on in there, with Space Marine Terminators and Agri-World hicks and stuff and I'm not sure what's going on with that. 

Here's how it'll go.  Gametable (Unless someone knows of a better one that doesn't have port problems.  Please know of one), Five or six players (Either Rogue Trader PCs or rank 5 Dark Heresy PCs.  Keep in mind that without an Astropath and a Navigator things could be difficult.  If everyone is dead-set against being one of those I suppose I can make them NPCs, though.

The Rules is another big thing.  You will need to have the Rogue Trader rulebook.  You won't need the Dark Heresy rulebook but it'd help if you did.  I'm not budging on this.  If you don't have it and you want to play, get it.  We are going to be following the rules on it.  I'll abstract some of the really obtuse stuff, because some of the DH/RT ruleset is really obtuse and clunky.  Fear and the like will probably be simplified at least a little bit, I kind of feel like the people who made the game were trying to do too much.

Anyway, you can reserve a spot now, and roll up a character later, but if the game is full and you're dragging your feet on making a character, and someone else with one wants to get in, I may let them have your spot.  Sorry.

The ship and stuff will be done on the first session, as well as finding profit factor and deciding what your characters can start with outside of the basic equipment. 

I should probably say some stuff about it, although if you have the book you probably already know the deal.

Warhammer 40k is a grim and dark and dark and grim setting where mankind has a galaxy spanning empire of trillions of people.  95% of these people are poor, retarded hicks who will never accomplish anything of value in their lives other than getting crushed by some piece of machinery or chopped up by orkz and CHAOS MEHRENS because when there are a few million replacements being born every second workplace safety gets neglected.  The other five percent is composed of administrators, who are less retarded but just as expendable and bleak in outlook; SPESS MEHERENS, who are nine-foot, retarded, roid-raging goliaths with bulletbroof ribcages and thousand pound armor (Don't mess with spess mehrens); The Adeptus Mechanicus, retarded, emotionless cyborgs who worship machines but have no idea how they actually work, and use them basically by asking them really nicely to work.  Sometimes that's even effective.

You, however.  You are a rogue trader and his entourage.  Where everyone else is drowning in paper (Think America is choked by bureaucracy?  Imagine a galaxy-spanning empire), getting ripped in half and just held like that (Seriously, how many WH40k pictures show some kind of huge thing just holding halves of people), and otherwise having bleak and horrible lives, you've got a ship the size of a small city, you've got doodz, and you've got money.  You have so much money they don't even bother counting it.  You just get a number, called Profit Factor, and that influences your rolls to determine if you can find and obtain something.  That's how rich you are.  There's no "Can I afford this?", just "Can I find this, and does its owner want to sell it?".  That's important though, because sometimes he'll want you to do something for him, leading to QUESTAN OPPORTUNITIES.  Like I said, you've got a ship, which you can customize, which will be taken care of the first session.  There's hot ship on ship action, boarding action, you can probably invade a planet if you want, a macrobattery barrage will do all sorts of naughty things to a city.  Lots of stuff.  It's great.

Oh, another thing, and personally my favorite part.  Instead of standard zoomy FTL travel, if you want to travel faster than light speed you have to go into the warp, which is this horrible place that mirrors the real world in a kind of grossly caricatured way.  There are gods of all the different fundamental things of human life.  A god of lust, violence, disease, entropy, all that nice stuff.  Everything in the warp wants to kill you.  It's a bad place, but you have to go through it to get anywhere within fifty years.  Your ship has a thing called a Gellar (Spelled Geller in equal amount, so I don't know what it actually is) that creates a bubble of realspace the horrible stuff can't get through.  If it flickers though, even for a second, everything goes all Event Horizon on you.  Mass possessions/mutations, faces in the walls, daemons running around, statues start crying blood, all kinds of nice stuff.  If the field fails completely, break out the crack and hookers because you're gonna die and you want to go out with a bang. 

Navigators are the ones who, well, navigate the warp.  Without a navigator, even the shortest jump with the best warp-charts is like running blindfolded across the Autobahn on a busy day, when the cars are all driven by Satan and are trying to run you over.  It's pretty much exactly like that.

I think I kind of went overboard with that stuff, since if you have the rulebook you probably know all of this stuff already.

Taking sign-ups now.  Multiple people can apply for the illustrious title of Rogue Trader, but only one will get to be him.  Best application in my subjective opinion will get it.

STRIKE THE WARP

Peeps:

Aqizzar!
GMT: -6, I have to work 9PM-4AM (Midwest time) Sunday-Thursday.  I've only got one week of actual classes yet and then a few mid-morning finals next week, but I'll probably be booked solid this weekend writing a paper

Mad Larks!
GMT +1 here. I'm available from 8 AM to 10 PM, Monday-Sunday. Until January the 18th.

Sonerohi

WorkerDrone

Ampersand

I'll also need times available, whenever you get a chance.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2009, 09:16:06 am by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: Rogue Trader: Cthulhu Edition
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:41:07 pm »

Would it be unfair if I applied to join?  Obviously I'd have to get jiggy with all this fancy tele-presence stuff, and since my university semester is not over I can't get started immediately anyway.  Just in case, what times do you think you'll want to go online?

And quite knocking my game, especially if you're still going to be in it.  Just because I said "suggest anything" does not mean I will be taking every suggestion.  God damn Bill Powers.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:43:18 pm »

Who's Bill Powers?  Am I Bill Powers?

And yeah, it's cool.  And yeah, I'll stop knockan yer gaem.
Shoes...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 02:51:38 pm »

I'll throw in my hat on this one. A spot, please.
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.
Follow the ups and down of Urist McBeard, Minerdorf

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 02:54:32 pm »

Alright.  This won't end like the Dark Heresy game.  I have time aplenty now.
Shoes...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 03:09:59 pm »

Well great, you've got me think about character concepts now damn you.

I'd still need to know when you actually want to be online to say whether I can join.

Bill Powers is not a 40k name!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 03:13:42 pm »

I usually get up around 9 and go to bed 11:30, GMT-5

And it's true.  No one in the Grim Darkness is named Bill.  They're all Zuriel, and Amadeus, and stuff like that.
Shoes...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 10:07:40 am »

Anyone else?  I may budge a little bit on the books thing if seriously no one has them, but it will slow down gameplay if I have to have ten tabs open for rules references for the people who don't have books.

In addition, there's the whole problem of teaching the people who don't have the rules to play.  We could probably do that while we're waiting for Aqizzar's schedule to clear up, so that's not a huge deal.
Shoes...

Keita

• Bay Watcher
  • Easily Confused
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 10:53:56 am »

I might join this one as well but I'm not sure about times. I don't usually join games that you need to be online at a ceartain time as mine changes from day to day.

Possible join up but if someone else comes alone give them the place in till I decide to join properly.
Gravity is a government conspiracy to keep us down

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2009, 01:21:01 pm »

Hmm. I think I'll fill the spot of Navigator. I'll have my character up soonish.

EDIT
Query: In regards to Heirloom, I got the Carapace Armour one. Is it a Storm Trooper Carapace or Light Enforcer one? Its kind of important, since Storm Trooper covers all and Light Enforcer doesn't come with a helm.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:16:50 pm by Mad Larks »
It's like Schrödinger's cat spinning violently around your head vomiting multicolored flickering 1s and 0s on your eyeballs just trying to contemplate that on any meaningful level.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2009, 07:11:19 pm »

I'm looking at the book, and Enforcer Light and Stormtrooper both cover everything.  The only difference is one armor point.  Go with whichever you'd prefer, I'm cool either way.
Shoes...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2009, 07:26:54 pm »

Okey-doke.

Spoiler: Character sheet (click to show/hide)

There we go, all prim and proper.

EDIT: One thing to note is that it would probably be prudent nobody gets in my line of sight when I use Lidless Stare. Since, if you fail your Toughness Check at -20, you'll die. Even then, you'll still get 1d10 Insanity Points. The Stare doesn't care if you're friend or foe. So yeah.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 07:53:56 pm by Mad Larks »

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 10:19:37 pm »

Alright, everything looks good.  Lidless stare is coolsauce.
Shoes...

Mad Larks

• Bay Watcher
  • The Music Meister!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2009, 04:32:11 am »

That it is, though I am looking forward to getting The Course Untravelled. Then I'll be able to teleport around. I think I love Navigators.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2009, 10:53:35 am »

Yeah, Navigators are awesome.  All the fun of being a Psyker without the whole "Whoops I rolled doubles now the group is dead" thing.  Plus, you can be a douche and have whatever you want because if the captain says no you can just not steer the ship out the Warp.
Shoes...
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6