Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: 40d Multiple small unlisted bugs, verified and with explanations  (Read 1721 times)

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
  • Breeding supercows. What I've been doing on DF.
    • View Profile
40d Multiple small unlisted bugs, verified and with explanations
« on: November 25, 2009, 01:19:12 am »

Bugs with Soap/Soaper:
1) Soaper's job is "Soaper", not "Soap Making" or "Soaping"
2) Soaper won't make soap from Lye that is not in a stockpile and not tasked for anything else; in short will only use lye from buckets or barrels in a stockpile. Forbidding and unforbidding was tried, we're talking 23 lye here; only when moved to a stockpile did soapmaking begin.

Bugs with
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Cage Bugs:
1) When multiple untamed but not hostile creatures are marked for a cage, only one can be assigned to the job "Large/Small Creature Caging" at a time; the rest are marked with the job "Release Large/Small Creature" and dwarves can be assigned the job to release them. This resulted in loose vermin and loose Giant Cave Swallowmen. The loose vermin were never removed from menus, but the tasks for caging them were removed with "Nothing to Cage". Dwarves continued to chase the large free creatures around until the job was manually removed, with spam of job cancellation "XXX cancels Large Creature Caging: interrupted by Giant Caveswallowman." and alternate chasing/fleeing behavior.
From what I have seen the same thing occurs with Hostile creatures except that the job to Cage/Pit them is the only one actually assigned; the "Release Large Animal" jobs remain Inactive until it is that creature's turn to be assigned a "Pit/Pond Large Creature" or "Large Creature Caging" job.

Strange behaviors or Bugs with Pit/Pond hostiles:
1) Countess assigned job to Pit/Pond hostile from cage adjacent to pit, other hostile behind locked door in pit below interrupted task. Before being interrupted, Countess had grabbed task hostile and now continued to drag him around until finished fleeing from enemy no longer in view. Then "cancels Handling Large Creature: Needs empty cage." Still in room with empty built cages. Then, still dragging hostile, finally throws him into Pit with other hostile.
Not sure how this should be handled, but it is my opinion that Pit/Pond hostile and/or untamed should not be interrupted by hostiles and/or untamed, or perhaps by hostiles to which a path does not exist. Given that a path does exist: dwarf should release task hostile and attempt to flee, rather than slowly dragging a hostile along with them. Depending on programing difficulty, dwarfs might always flee from enemies carrying ranged weapons or with ranged attacks. It would be optimum if these features could be implemented together for all dwarves at all times.
The suggested fix/feature takes it for granted that dwarves have moderate intelligence; such as prairie dogs who chatter a warning to friends and flee from a human with a gun.
2) The job for Pit/Pond is "Pit/Pond Large Animal", rather than "Pit Large Creature".
3) More than one creature cannot be moved to a Pit or assigned the job "Pit/Pond Large Animal" at a time, though all will be assigned the job "Release Large Creature".
4) Sometimes the job "Release Large Creature" remains active when a hostile is pitted and not killed, resulting in a slow spam of cancellation: "XXX cancels Releasing Large Creature: Animal inaccessible."

MODDED

Ice bugs:
1) Dwarves attempt obtain water from heated source via adjacent (frozen) tile above source as normally, resulting in infinite drain of water source and infinite stack of light blue "Ice" on floor under dwarf. Suggest water in buckets be protected? Not an insurmountable bug, just needs to be known.
Known.
2) Tiles heated via overhead magma after construction (floodgate) is placed remain freezing, causing water passing through opened floodgate to freeze as a mine-able square, no matter how many times cleared or now long magma remains. Suggest temperature check upon building/mechanism activation.

And finally, the one truly questionable (bug?):
Stay Inside means stay subterranean. Why not Inside? It very much complicates tasks such as pulling Inside levers, et cetera during a siege. If it is as intended, it should read "Stay Underground". I would personally love to have both commands. I realize that it is a cross-over from 2d, but oddly it's not on the bug list.

Answered.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:49:18 pm by The Architect »
Dwarf Fortress: where blunders never cease.
The sigs topic:
Oh man, this is truly sigworthy...
Oh man. This is truly sig-worthy.

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: 40d Multiple small unlisted bugs, verified and with explanations
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:40:15 am »

Also, I forgot a magma vent bug:
Map with Yellow Sand caused Yellow Sand to occasionally replace magma cap's Smoothed Obsidian. This occurred both with tiles that started as Obsidian and when I hardened the surface magma with water. I don't know when it happened, but I assume it was at a season changeover. Whether a bug or not it is certainly realistic in some ways that sand might be washed onto the obsidian. A problem would occur if you Engrave this obsidian and someone loses their masterwork engravings. Engraving scenario untested.
I assume some of the obsidian tiles were sand tiles before the vent was placed, and in that case this is likely a Trampling bug! It only occurred when tiles were smoothed and became dwarf walkways.

Edit: Grammar
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:37:19 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

CaptainNitpick

• Bay Watcher
  • [FINDS_FLAWS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:46:27 am »

And finally, the one truly questionable (bug?):
Stay Inside means stay subterranean. Why not Inside? It very much complicates tasks such as pulling Inside levers, et cetera during a siege. If it is as intended, it should read "Stay Underground". I would personally love to have both commands. I realize that it is a cross-over from 2d, but oddly it's not on the bug list.

I can't speak for any of the others, but this one's made moot for the next version.

06/15/2009: The "stay indoors" order has been removed from the game. It has been replaced with three pre-defined-and-changeable and as many custom alert states as you like. Alert states determine which schedule a squad uses and also have a few parameters defining how civilians behave as well. This means you should be able to make a alert called "Underground Attack" that makes squads carry out whatever plan you have regarding plugging up an invasion of ratmen from an underground layer while the civilians meanwhile cancel their jobs and run up to the highest meeting hall you have, while your alert called "External Siege" might see the civilians run down to your lowest meeting hall while the squads run over to the towers and gates... or just wait for the traps to do their job.

This is all tied into the burrow system, which is described in this devlog entry.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:55:59 am »

On the adamantine bugs: when you say the quality modifiers disappear, do you mean that it doesn't mention the dye in the item description?  As for the non-armor caps, yeah, caps are an armor item.  You should be able to make hoods or turbans or something though.

The sand bug probably falls under one of these:
# 000657 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][designations]    (Report 1,Report 2) harvesting vegetation can make sand turn into stone, and cutting down trees can turn stone into sand
# 000993 □ [vegetation] (Report) tower caps can create soils like red sand underground when they grow up in the mud and are removed

Minor advice: your post will be much more readable if you use the forum's tags for numbered lists:

Code: [Select]
[list type=decimal]
[li]Item number one[/li]
[li]Item number two[/li]
[/list]
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 02:01:48 am by Footkerchief »

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 04:27:28 am »

Thanks; I'll goof around with those list tags a little later.

Glad to see we'll be getting the kind of dwarf movement control I long for!

Edit: In my case the sand bug was created on tiles that were not altered by vegetation. Could be the same, but that might be an important distinction and it certainly doesn't fall under the bugs as labeled now.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 04:29:07 am by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 04:07:55 pm »

Ice bug #1 is also known:
# 000355 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][healthcare]    water item freezing currently messes up some jobs, and it doesn't tell you it's frozen

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 06:40:56 pm »

Ice bug #1 is also known:
# 000355 □ [dwarf mode][jobs][healthcare]    water item freezing currently messes up some jobs, and it doesn't tell you it's frozen
Excellent. I'll strike it out. I did a search for ice, but since I didn't check "frozen" it didn't pull that up.

Edit: Modified the original post to be more organized and struck out the bucket issue.
However, several of these bugs remain unresolved/unexplained.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 06:50:38 pm by The Architect »
The sigs topic:

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2009, 02:12:27 am »

3) More than one creature cannot be moved to a Pit or assigned the job "Pit/Pond Large Animal" at a time, though all will be assigned the job "Release Large Creature".
Nor can more than one square of pond be filled at a time.

Workaround: Use many zones on your pit.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

The Architect

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2009, 02:25:16 am »

It's only a 1x1 pit, for obvious reasons. No one wants loose hostiles with civilians around.

However, I could employ multiple pits for faster action. Thanks for the advice!
The sigs topic: