Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Pern Fortress  (Read 1679 times)

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Pern Fortress
« on: November 25, 2009, 12:46:32 am »

After reading the disc fortress thread I got to wondering about other books which could be ported to dwarf fortress successfully.  I immediately thought of Dune, and tried to find the perfect spot to build a sietch.  However, lack of a good spot and a good concept kept me from making a successful fort, although I think the idea still has merit.  Anyway, my next idea was a fortress based off the Pern series.  So I remade Half-Circle seahold.  Here's a link to the map.  It's not a perfect match to the book's description by any means, but it was still fun to make.  Took quite a lot of digging to get the cavern right, and quite a lot of looking to find a cliff by the ocean (I eventually had to settle for one by a lake).  Hopefully with the underground update and (someday) boats, we'll be able to have functioning harbor caverns.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Pern Fortress
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2009, 01:05:35 am »

At first I thought the title was a typo and we were in for one hell of a strange ride.

I'm still a little disappointed, to be honest.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2009, 01:09:06 am »

Too bad you can't ride dragons in dorf mode yet.

Speaking of which, Pern was alright until it turned into fantasy erotica lit with a bit of dragons on the side.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2009, 01:26:12 am »

Just wondering, what do you mean by that? The last memory I have of that series involved solving Thread permanently by putting antimatter explosives on the Red Star, which seems very non-fantasy.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 01:56:45 am »

Yeah, I definitely like the Pern series better when it's less romance-novel-ish, but I don't think there has been a long term trend towards or away from that.  Anne McCaffrey just tends to put it in here and there. <joking>That's the trouble with having women in the professions</joking>

That aside, something like the thread would be interesting to defend against as a gameplay mechanic.  I guess the equivalent would be having wildfires periodically appear randomly in any outdoor square, spreading and consuming any organics in the area.  It challenges the inside portion of your walls without any need for flying organisms, doorbusting, or the difficult pathfinding that comes with it.

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 25, 2009, 02:00:42 am »

I assume I just don't see the romance part. A blessing from my subconscious!

Problem is fire doesn't give you same kind of wasteland...I don't actually know how Thread could possibly be implemented, unless Toady adds apocalyptic weather at some point.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 05:29:05 am »

Thread would be an immobile creature that kills nearby living creatures and vegetation while reproducing exponentially so long as food is available.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 05:55:45 am »

I assume I just don't see the romance part. A blessing from my subconscious!

It was there.  There's some in The White Dragon, then another bit in...

I forget, been too long since I've read the books.  There are two other sections I'm remembering, one was homosexual (blue and green riders) another was hetero (female green rider and a bronze rider).  The former was a long term relationship thing, the other was spur of the moment, as the green had gone into heat (her rider had been sexual abused previously).

Its not hidden at all, but its not exactly out in the open.  The blue-green relationship above, I think, was the first time she'd actually said in her books that green riders were homosexual (if male, which was most of the time).  The one in White Dragon I was too young to see it, and "the screen goes black" was more or less how I'd interpreted it at the time.

You have to start looking for the boot scenes.

(I use the term "boot scene" as that's how Weis/Hickman noted one particular scene in the early DragonLance books: the guy is sitting on the bed lacing up his boots talking to the woman, its implied that they were just having sex and now he's putting his clothes back on).

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 06:05:43 am »

Ok then.

Thread would be an immobile creature that kills nearby living creatures and vegetation while reproducing exponentially so long as food is available.
Actually, it would be raining death that covers a large swath of area. Unless you somehow set it to create a whole swarm (as in one on every square) of the creatures all over a few embark squares within moments, it really doesn't live up to the original.

Neruz

• Bay Watcher
  • I see you...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 06:08:02 am »

Ok then.

Actually, it would be raining death that covers a large swath of area. Unless you somehow set it to create a whole swarm (as in one on every square) of the creatures all over a few embark squares within moments, it really doesn't live up to the original.

Well yeah; you'd have some way of spawning them in random locations across the map, i meant the actual creature itself, since i doubt DF will be capable of doing air-to-air combat for a loooong time yet.

MadKap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 07:39:07 am »

This is in the previously posted link about sex euphemisms in g-rated media.

In Populous, two people would walk into a house, and three people would come out.
So if someone else goes inside, will the house be empty?

I am so, so, so, happy I got that joke.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 08:28:56 am »

This is in the previously posted link about sex euphemisms in g-rated media.

In Populous, two people would walk into a house, and three people would come out.
So if someone else goes inside, will the house be empty?

I am so, so, so, happy I got that joke.

*Thinks*
Oh!
*Laughs*
The concept of a "negative" population inside the house.

Naero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2009, 10:39:48 am »

This idea reminds me of PernAngband (an awesome Angband variant). Specifically, it reminds me of how McCaffreys lawyers sent a C&D order to the maker of Pernband telling him to stop using her IP. He had to change it to ToME (which is still available and still awesome (and updated very rarely)).

I'm not sure how a mod would fare, but Pernband was free, so...
Quote from: Toady One
# 03/17/2009: The broken-armed dwarf understood that he needed to run off to the hospital zone properly, but care never came, because I'm still working on that. Poor little buddy.
#  03/18/2009: He's now surrounded by many skilled medical professionals. They still aren't all that useful, but just their presence must be encouraging for him. Well, I guess that's not true either.

atomfullerene

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 25, 2009, 11:57:55 am »

Yes, I've heard they tend to be touchy about their IP.  Its just another example of how overuse of copyright is destroying our culture.....erm...sorry, had a little rant there.  So of course all this talk here is totally hypothetical *sprays lawyer repellent*

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 01:10:13 pm »

Well apperantly a lot of these Cease and Decist letters people get on the internet are VERY fake.

They are mostly a cheap scare tactic often not even employed by the original company.

Mind you I am not saying that was the case with Angband or whatever... I just wouldn't be surprised.
Pages: [1] 2