Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Please start self packaging mods.  (Read 2864 times)

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Please start self packaging mods.
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2009, 06:24:49 pm »

More importantly, people need to stop just zipping their entire raws folder (including the files they haven't changed) and releasing mods any less than total conversions that way - but there already was a thread on that issue, so meh.

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Creed: Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2009, 11:53:33 pm »

Fact is, I only really do my own modding, because I will never cause a conflict with my own mods to the game.
If the all those in the heavens refuse me salvation, then all those in the heavens will die by my hands.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2009, 12:01:30 am »

Excuse me, but while you only really do your own modding, why are you concerned about how other people distribute their mods?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2009, 05:40:01 am by Deon »
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2009, 05:28:38 am »

for the good of people other than me.
If the all those in the heavens refuse me salvation, then all those in the heavens will die by my hands.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2009, 05:40:40 am »

Why don't they ask for themselves? I really don't see a point of this conversation and still continue it. :O
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2009, 09:38:17 am »

The real issue: Your "problem" is not something universally seen as such, and the "fix" would make things more awkward for anyone who wants to play with more than one mod active.
Gee, it's almost like I didn't say this:
You know, it's not like pre-packaging a mod and having the files in a stand-alone download are mutually exclusive options.  No need for the hostility.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2009, 09:56:08 am »

I agree.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2009, 01:37:27 pm »

pfft, this is too simple to need self packaging, I think it would just be better if you put the mod into DF, and then put DF into a zip file. perhaps this is what you were saying?

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2009, 03:08:07 pm »

yes.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2009, 04:59:20 pm »

if that is what you mean, then just do so, you can ask the author if you are allowed to distribute the mod.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2009, 01:32:37 am »

Excuse me if I'm wrong (I do my own modding) but don't modders just release their stuff with a zip file with the directories intact?  That sounds to me like the ideal solution.  If they remove all the old creatures for a total conversion just include blank files with the vanilla file names so that they get overwrote with the blanks when extracted.

A mod with just raws would have a folder called 'raw' in the archive, 'raw' has 'objects' and inside objects the only the mod's raw files, set to replace vanilla only when necessary.

A more complex mod would be sorta like...
Code: [Select]
                       _ graphics (mod's tileset stuff)
              _ raw  <
            /          - objects (mod's raw files)
Mod.rar   <
            \          _ speech (mod's speech files)
              - data <
                       - save (any saves that come with)

That way you just extract it directly into a vanilla copy of DF and it will add or overwrite the files accurately and reliably. If somebody just wants to take a look, they could pick and choose exactly how much they want to mess with.  In fact, I kinda assumed that's how it was already done.  That seems to be the traditional method for other such things.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2009, 01:37:01 am »

I've never seen someone release a mod with blank dummy files, but I can't say it's not a good idea.
Note that in extreme cases, pushing the number of (parsed) files in the raw folders above 127(128?) will force the game to disregard files - probably from the bottom up - so that's something to watch for if this format is used in the future.

juice

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2009, 03:54:23 am »

I find it rather funny how someone who only joined the community about two weeks ago has the audacity to come to this forum and demand that modders (people who take time out of their day to create something fun for the enjoyment of others) start self packaging mods while he himself wants to do little to no work at all to make it happen. I also find it funny how when called on to send messages to modders himself, he responds with how he's too lazy to do so himself. This is taken even further then when he states that it isn't even for himself but for the "good of the community", when in fact it would make installing mods slightly more difficult.

Please, Sethner Von Hertts, kindly fuck off and come back when you've gained some manners.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2009, 04:16:49 am »

The real issue: Your "problem" is not something universally seen as such, and the "fix" would make things more awkward for anyone who wants to play with more than one mod active.
Gee, it's almost like I didn't say this:
You know, it's not like pre-packaging a mod and having the files in a stand-alone download are mutually exclusive options.  No need for the hostility.

As touched on in the post prior to mine - the issue was not solely in the suggestion, but in the presumptive attitude that went along with it. Yours is a valid notion; however, if a modder only wants to upload one file, I'd rather it be just the new raws.
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2009, 07:58:17 pm »

Nah, Im just suggesting that total conversions be offered in a self contained form
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4