Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Please start self packaging mods.  (Read 2854 times)

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
Re: Please start self packaging mods.
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2009, 11:27:58 am »

I certainly would not want to download a complete copy of DF every time I downloaded a mod.  Installing a new, clean vanilla copy of DF from the compressed version which I originally downloaded from this website works very nicely.  I can name the directory to whatever I want, and be sure in the very core of my being that the executable and libraries are the ones offered here by Tarn Adams.   :)
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2009, 11:52:37 am »

Another thing that I find irritating is when someone crams the new entries in old folders. Makes it a nightmare to find them and see what's changed.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2009, 12:00:03 pm »

Another thing that I find irritating is when someone crams the new entries in old folders. Makes it a nightmare to find them and see what's changed.

That's why you should have a free, vanilla copy so you can compare or just threw the raws into the folder and then bathe in delightful glows of bizzare things, Wizards included.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2009, 12:09:13 pm »

Also think about linux users! :o

This.

That would be why I never did wind up trying the Mayday graphics...
Working on: drakes - making the skies(mostly) a bit more varied

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2009, 12:14:23 pm »

Oh and my Fallout mod too then... I should re-upload an archive.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Lancensis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2009, 12:38:36 pm »

That's why you should have a free, vanilla copy so you can compare or just threw the raws into the folder and then bathe in delightful glows of bizzare things, Wizards included.

Hmm? I mean if I look through the raws of a mod, to see if there's anything I want to copy into my own. I know what's in vanilla, since I've had to look through dozens of creature mods that just tack the new entries on at the end of an existing file. I can't just overwrite my files because I'd lose loads of stuff, and I can't just add extra files into my raws because there'll be inevitable duplication.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2009, 01:39:08 pm »

On topic: I disagree with the OP; I prefer to be able to throw my mods together and not have to worry about init files and such every time I do. I think I've also heard of some idiosyncratic issues with such packages - nonstandard libraries causing problems here or there.

I'd argue for more compartmentalization of mods, but - does that work for all files? For instance, can reactions be in anything but reaction_standard?

My guards need something better to do than make my nobles happy with hugs and justice.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2009, 01:47:20 pm »

Yes, you can put reactions in any file as long as it has [OBJECT:REACTION] as the second line.  The [OBJECT:] tags are what tells the game to treat those as reactions, not the filename.

I haven't put out any mods yet (still bug-testing...) but that's what I do--I never put anything into a vanilla raw, because I hate it when other mods do that, everything I add goes into new raws.  If I'm changing an existing creature, I'd rather have a big README warning that there will be a duplicate entry than include an altered vanilla raw.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2009, 01:54:13 pm »

Wait, hold on. Duplicate entries work? In a predictable and useful manner?

...This is getting too far off topic, though. I need to do some digging.

Wirevix

• Bay Watcher
  • Hammered Elf Sympathizer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2009, 02:05:36 pm »

Duplicate entries do not work, they will make the game do absolutely crazy things.  But if a mod includes a README, then hopefully the person installing the mod will take the time to actually read it, and be forewarned that they should remove and back-up the vanilla entry that will cause duplicate errors.  If they don't, well, they'll probably realize they should've when they start their first purring maggot fortress.
In other news, the trees in my game can have invisible sex.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2009, 03:47:18 pm »

Many mods are self packaged, and those that aren't are, literally, "Cut and paste into your folder, overwriting all the files of the same name" or "Delete your raw folder and past this instead". If you can't do that, mods may not be for you anyways.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2009, 05:09:49 pm »

Also think about linux users! :o

This.

That would be why I never did wind up trying the Mayday graphics...

Just for completeness's sake, the Mayday stuff works fine if you paste the df script, dwarfort.exe executable, and libs directory into the Mayday DF directory.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2009, 11:07:03 pm »

You know, it's not like pre-packaging a mod and having the files in a stand-alone download are mutually exclusive options.  No need for the hostility.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sethner Von Hertts

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Creed: Fiat Justitia Ruat Caelum
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 26, 2009, 04:19:28 pm »

nothing causes backdraft like pointing out the problem through example, and no, I dont mean the fallout mod, there was a different wasteland mod in the far past.
If the all those in the heavens refuse me salvation, then all those in the heavens will die by my hands.

Shurhaian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2009, 06:19:07 pm »

The real issue: Your "problem" is not something universally seen as such, and the "fix" would make things more awkward for anyone who wants to play with more than one mod active.

Don't expect much sympathy when you say up front that you want this, not because getting the mods to work is difficult or complicated(in the vast majority of cases it's neither), but because you're lazy.

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4