Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Df Carp invade RL  (Read 1978 times)

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Df Carp invade RL
« on: November 24, 2009, 07:55:11 pm »

So a friend of mine pointed out this news article.

I will never sleep again.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Df Carp invade RL
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 08:09:00 pm »

Damnit, I go by a small lake every day when coming home form school...

One day the temptation shall be too great and I will jump into it to fight those vicious fish!
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 08:25:54 pm »

The obvious solution is magma. And lots of it.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

TheDeadlyShoe

• Bay Watcher
  • Blog not found
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 08:57:22 pm »

I wish we could build electrified poison-fences in DF.
Lord have mercy and let me not throw up in this space helmet.

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 09:26:40 pm »

""They're like living missiles," he says. "And because they reach weights of up to 80 to 100 pounds, a fast-moving boat and a person sitting in it [colliding] with a fish is likely to come out much worse for the wear.""

I KNEW they were deadly!

and this goodie,

""The game's not over; it's not time to give up," he says. "There are lots of examples of invasions that while [they] may initially look successful, may fail — or certainly be made to fail with effective management. We shouldn't give up at this point.""

may as well be the DF motto! Remember, no matter how successful your fortress is, you can always find a way to have Fun.

Sysice

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 09:39:05 pm »

They're even worse than DF carp. At least carp in DF can't swim through walls (I know it's not exactly what happened, but it's close enough) and jump out of the water. Now... what happens when we cross-breed them?
I managed to make a dog that bled bees.
Quote from: Threetoe
Imagine evil grass that looks like a mass of wriggling worms. Happy holidays!

Chicken Launcher

• Bay Watcher
  • Poultry Technician
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2009, 12:43:50 am »

They're even worse than DF carp. At least carp in DF can't swim through walls (I know it's not exactly what happened, but it's close enough) and jump out of the water. Now... what happens when we cross-breed them?

Bloodthirsty flying monsters that can kill the average adult.
"Did you ever notice any time you see two groups of people who really hate each other, chances are good they’re wearing different kinds of hats? Keep an eye on that, it might be important." - George Carlin

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2009, 01:16:21 am »

Oh gods, if Toady ever implements flying fish...

Dohon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2009, 04:41:25 am »

Looks like my plan to build an underground bunker will have to be accelerated.

*grabs a pick*
Quote from: Lolfail0009
Quote from: GuesssWho
Also, why is there a stray hen having a tantrum?
CLUCK CLUCK MOTHERF***ER

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2009, 07:21:29 am »

The Mississippi and Illinois rivers serve as examples: 90 percent of what fishermen catch there are carp, and that has virtually destroyed commercial fisheries because carp has low commercial value, he says. What's more, silver carp have an "unusual habit" of jumping high out of the water — and have harmed people.

"They're like living missiles," he says. "And because they reach weights of up to 80 to 100 pounds, a fast-moving boat and a person sitting in it [colliding] with a fish is likely to come out much worse for the wear."

:o
AAAAAAAAAAA!

Now the Fun spreads to RL...

Asmodeous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2009, 08:47:30 am »

My girlfriend actually works for a Great Lakes research group. We were chatting about this the other day and my immediate thought was "Oh no, the fisher dwarfs are doomed!"

Me.
(There is a story behind this. . .)

This is an Alder Omelette. All craftsdwarfship is of highest quality. It is encircled with bands of cheese. It menaces with spikes of bacon, ham, and peppers. On the object is an image of dwarves in egg white. The dwarves are eating.

Alrenous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2009, 04:14:28 pm »

At least carp in DF can't swim through walls (I know it's not exactly what happened, but it's close enough)

You see, the water was flowing and they got tele-pushed through the fortification. Turns out RL even has DF bugs.
It started raining, then all my dwarves outside started bleeding to death. On inspection their upper bodies were missing.

Count Dorku

• Bay Watcher
  • Sounds Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2009, 04:05:18 am »

At least carp in DF can't swim through walls (I know it's not exactly what happened, but it's close enough)

You see, the water was flowing and they got tele-pushed through the fortification. Turns out RL even has DF bugs.

I want the old Contents Under Pressure bug, then. I get a small piece of gold, melt it down, and find myself the richest guy on campus.
"when in doubt, Magma"

Miners are diggin out nicely, everything will go right, i hope. hell, what am i even saying? this is dwarf fortress. it wont go right.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2009, 03:54:16 pm »

The obvious solution is magma. And lots of it.
You know any good embark sites with magma round there?

Still, could be worse. If America was evil they'd be skeletal carp.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2009, 03:56:44 pm by Quantum Toast »
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

NFossil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 26, 2009, 06:41:42 pm »

On a more serious topic, I wonder why these species don't catch up commercially in North America. They are perfectly fine for human consumption in their native range, and anything with a profit tend to get controlled quickly.
Pages: [1] 2