Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Eyesight Woes  (Read 2417 times)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Eyesight Woes
« on: November 24, 2009, 03:24:09 pm »

Yeah.. I've been becoming more and more near-sighted lately, and it's freaking me out. I'm pretty sure the cause is just that I spend too much time on the computer, but now that I can barely see anything, I'm wondering why I did this to myself. Anyways, is there any way without eye surgery or glasses that I can see well I again? I hate glasses because once you start wearing them too much you rely on them. And that'll make my eyesight even worse. I was wondering..could I train my eyes to see things far away? Or would that just make me farsighted?

I need the help!

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
Re: Eyesight Woes
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2009, 03:28:46 pm »

I need glasses to see. I'm very short sighted (I find it hard to read a book without glasses), and it set in when I was about 10.
I don't think you can train your eyes, so you're stuck with corrective lenses of some sort from now on.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Dasleah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2009, 03:45:38 pm »

There's never been any conclusive evidence that frequent computer use will make you near-sighted. Might not to much to your focus, but that's another eye issue. Odds are it's genetic and it's just catching up to you now.

And wearing glasses can actually improve your vision over time in some cases, not make it worse. It gets worse because as I said it's genetic, so it's just naturally going to get worse over time. Glasses are great.
Pokethulhu Orange: UPDATE 25
The Roguelike Development Megathread.

As well, all the posts i've seen you make are flame posts, barely if at all constructive.

redacted123

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
-
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 03:53:45 pm »

-
« Last Edit: June 25, 2017, 12:01:20 pm by Stany »

Rilder

• Bay Watcher
  • Rye Elder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2009, 03:57:26 pm »

I have 20/80 Vision myself, its not that bad to have glasses. 
Steam Profile
Youtube(Let's Plays), Occasional Streaming
It felt a bit like a movie in which two stoners try to steal a military helicopter

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2009, 04:11:01 pm »

I wish I had glasses
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2009, 04:26:59 pm »

I wish I had glasses

>_>

I've had mine since I was five and creamed my vision by trying to read in the dark for hours on end.  5-year-old Vector: not so smart.  Anyway, I wouldn't say they're particularly bad.  Just roll with the punches and try them out.  It's much better than being unable to see.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2009, 04:29:48 pm »

Also something that doesn't really cause permanent eye damage.

Your eyes are made for seeing, I don't see why people always think seeing a little harder will break them.
Shoes...

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2009, 04:30:28 pm »

I don't need glasses though. I love the whole concept of them. I find they are like a sort of accessory. I really want to look over them and somebody
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Jervous

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 04:45:57 pm »

Yeah, my mom was nearsighted. I guess I'll try glasses or even contacts, if I have the patience for them. Thanks fellas

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 04:49:50 pm »

Also something that doesn't really cause permanent eye damage.

Your eyes are made for seeing, I don't see why people always think seeing a little harder will break them.

That would be because my parents are throwbacks from the 1800s, and eyestrain can blind you.  Or something.

Honestly, I still wouldn't be surprised if the near-sightedness came from the reading--because when you are literally doing nothing but reading for something like 12 hours a day, for maybe 10 or 11 years, it can't be that good for your long-distance vision.

I think their indoctrination has been too effective T_T
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 07:01:34 pm »

Glasses/Contacts are fine, in fact one you get them you'll realise how great they are.

As for eye surgery, you have to wait until your eye's have stopped getting worse before you can get it. That and it costs $1000USD per eye to get them fixed!
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.

atomicwinter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 11:07:52 pm »

My dad is going blind from a genetic and very rare eye disease that I have a good chance of getting  :(. The inability to see naturally really depresses me, and the fact that my vision is getting worse and I already have horrible eye at age 15 blows. If I have the disease, my eyes will continue to get worse and worse until I go blind.

Glasses suck, but hey it helps.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 11:29:59 pm »

Glasses/Contacts are fine, in fact one you get them you'll realise how great they are.

As for eye surgery, you have to wait until your eye's have stopped getting worse before you can get it. That and it costs $1000USD per eye to get them fixed!

ONLY 1000$? I value my eyes very highly, as I can't even imagine not being able to see as well as I do, so I'd happily shell out 1000$+ to make sure my eyes stay good.

One of my greatest fears is that one day an accident or something will make me blind.

Mr Tk

• Bay Watcher
  • Would you like a mint? It's only waffer thin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2009, 08:17:05 am »

ONLY 1000$? I value my eyes very highly, as I can't even imagine not being able to see as well as I do, so I'd happily shell out 1000$+ to make sure my eyes stay good.

One of my greatest fears is that one day an accident or something will make me blind.

Er, what I meant was $2000 for laser eye surgery compared to say $150 for glasses.
First ten minutes of play I ate my loincloth and then got some limbs torn off by a super friendly rat. Thumbs up from me.
Pages: [1] 2