Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Proof of Concept: DF Text Mode (works over SSH!)  (Read 25791 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
Re: Proof of Concept: DF Text Mode (works over SSH!)
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2009, 04:21:36 am »

ASCII doesn't have Greek characters :) The DF code map is not pure ASCII, so Unicode was necessary.
Er, sorry, I grew up with "extended ascii" in QuickBASIC aka Code Page 437 which IS what DF uses.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2009, 02:45:48 pm »

ASCII doesn't have Greek characters :) The DF code map is not pure ASCII, so Unicode was necessary.

I set up a public Dwarf Fortress running account: ssh to demented.no-ip.org
... ...

I've been playing on this today! :D I did a little work (I hope that's ok) and I've made some notes by the front doors... it would be great if the observers and the current player could communicate somehow...

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2009, 07:44:02 pm »

That was awesome - I did some work (I designed a bedroom complex, and 5 levels below it, a workshop/stockpile complex). Except for the previously mentioned inability to use the +- and */ keys on the numpad, everything else went great.
I also left a couple notes, by the way.

EDIT: If the next person doesn't like the complexes, I saved right before the miner started mining, so it'll be easy enough to undesignate them.

EDIT 2: It seems that Adventure mode doesn't quite work:

It seems that tiles that don't update just stay the way they were previously or something like that.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:03:44 am by jarathor »

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 29, 2009, 03:00:54 am »

yeah... The num pad's +/- keys didn't work so I rebound then to the + and - keys on the number row... Works fine now... Actually I might have bound + to = because that's what you'd get with out pressing shift...

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 29, 2009, 04:44:59 am »

I must repeat: if you find keys that don't work, please post their keycodes! I can't fix it if you don't tell me those things :p

Also, the computer in question is taking part / directing the rendering of a truly MASSIVE picture of the Mandelbulb fractal. If you experience any slowdowns during play, do say so - I can reduce the threadcount if it becomes a problem. :)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 04:47:19 am by FeepingCreature »

dreiche2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 29, 2009, 07:21:06 am »

Just posting to say that I'm very interested in where this is going... I'm planning to buy a beefy computer for work at uni, and being able to use it to play DF from my laptop at home would be quite awesome  ;D

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2009, 12:26:40 pm »

I must repeat: if you find keys that don't work, please post their keycodes! I can't fix it if you don't tell me those things :p

Here are the codes for the keys that don't work (on the numpad):
/ = 283
* = 284
- = 285
+ = 44

Pressing Shift+Arrow Key doesn't register a code different from the arrow keys by themselves. I also tried Shift-Number on the numpad, and there was no change in the code there either.
 Maybe Shift-Move could be changed to something else; WASD aren't used for anything in fortress mode as far as I know - they're just used for adventure mode stuff.

I only noticed a slowdown while saving, and it wasn't significant.

EDIT: D is used to see if your Depot is accesible, but I'm nost sure how many people use that very often
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:36:46 pm by jarathor »

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 29, 2009, 12:30:54 pm »

WASD are used heavily in fortress mode. A for opening announcements and choosing options (build new, etc), W is used in certain menus for options (uild [w]ell), same with S (uild [M]echanics crewpump). And D is used to enter the [d]esignate menu. So, probably don't want to over write their use.

~edit~
Well, that didn't really work out...
Oh, and workshop! That's what I was thinking of!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:46:23 pm by stolensteel »
-st

jarathor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 29, 2009, 12:38:54 pm »

Isn't it build wel[l]?
Also, the other ones you mentioned are all the lower case uses - the upper cases (except for D) aren't used, according to the wiki and a quick look-through of the menus in-game.

EDIT: Except for [A]rchery target and Upright Spear/Spike. And build Trade [D]epot.
Dang. I guess there's no way around it - any good group of keys all have uses.
THe only saving point of my plan is that most of those letter menus can be scrolled through with + and - or * and /.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2009, 12:44:45 pm by jarathor »

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 30, 2009, 02:13:07 am »

Capital letter commands work from here. If they don't for you, please list the _complete_ code line (not just the last number!) along with the key you were trying to get.

There is no reason I can see that shift-using input shouldn't work.

stolensteel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 30, 2009, 02:56:48 am »

The problem we have is not with using capitol letters, it's with using shift combined with an arrow key. Normally that makes the cursor move ten squares instead of one, but when doing it through SSH (at least as far as I can tell) it sends the same code through if I put (left) or (shift+left).
-st

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 30, 2009, 04:33:08 am »

I am aware of that problem.

From the previous posts, it seemed that some people had problems with any capital letters. If this is not the case, so much the better.

xterm sends slightly different keycodes when using shift+arrow keys. Are you certain that the codes transmitted (the six-number line at the bottom) is identical between arrow keys and arrow-keys-with-shift? If it truly is, then that is not something I can fix server-side. I am open for ideas.

bhelyer

• Bay Watcher
  • The kart iz not movink!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: December 01, 2009, 05:34:57 am »

Page 2? Unacceptable!

kiffer.geo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 01, 2009, 07:41:53 am »

quick question... Is it preferable to save and then quit DF... rather than saving and then dettach leaving a screen session running with just the title screen OR pausing the game and detaching with the game up and ready for the next person...

FeepingCreature

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: December 02, 2009, 04:17:32 am »

I think detaching is better, as quitting will disconnect any attached viewers.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5