Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Chessopoly  (Read 1174 times)

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Chessopoly
« on: November 23, 2009, 04:18:58 pm »

Recently, I've been playing a lot of chess and monopoly. I've enjoyed them, and given the variations a few gos (backgammonopoly in particular I can reccomend). Having scoured the internet for a cross between chess and monopoly, I did not find anyting I liked to look of. I have therefore devised my own verison, and I would like feedback/suggestions before I start playing.

the required materials:
chess board
chess pieces
monopoly properties
monoply chance/community chest cards
monopoly money
monopoly houses/hotels
two dice
a set of markers

Setting up:
As a chess game, except starting money is doled out to the players

Playing:
Each turn, the player rolls the dice. They get to move two of their pieces (if possible), depending on what numbers are rolled. They correspond as such:

1 - Pawn
2 - Bishop
3 - Knight
4 - Rook
5 - Queen
6 - King

The standard rules concerning movement, check and checkmate apply. In the event that one king is placed in check, then the king gets a move and the player only rolls one die. If checkmate is achieved, the game is over. When a piece is captured, it is instead put in jail.

The dice rolls are as such:
doubles - free all units in jail
differ by one - get £200
total of seven - pick a chance/community chest card
differ by two - buy a property

When a unit gets out of jail, it is placed back on the board in any starting position available to it (so one could have both  bishops on black).

When buy a property is achieved, the player rolls 1 dice to see which set of properties are selected, as follows:
1 - train stations/utilities
2 - browns/blues
3 - pinks/oranges
4 - reds/yellows
5 - greens/purples
6 - set of player's choice

Upon selecting a set, the player then rolls to see which property within the set is selected. If the roll reults in a property that has already been bought, the player rerolls. If the entire set has been bought, then the player may upgrade one property of the same type as the set by one house.

Placing properties:
Once bought, a property does nothing until placed. If the king is on a space without a property, the property may be placed. It costs nothing to place it. properties of the same colour must be placed next to each other. By paying the mortgage cost, the property may be taken off the board.

Housing:
If only a single property of any colour is owned, up to two houses may be placed on it. If two are owned, up to four may be placed (hotel for the browns/purples). If all are owned, hotels may be placed. Money for developing is as normal. Properties can only be developed if the king or queen is on that square.

Paying rent:
Upon passing through a square with a property owned by the opponent, a player must pay half the rent. Landing on in pays full rent - rent may be paid on multiple properties. Staying on a square for multiple turns does not incur additional rent. If one does not have anough money, one cannot pass through a square, even to get out of check.

Does anyone have any suggestions/see some problems/have any comments?
Also, does anyone have ideas for paying money to bail units out of jail?

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
Re: Chessopoly
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 04:34:15 pm »

This does sound hilarious. However...

So far I don't see any incentive at all to earn money, especially if the only way to win is by a normal checkmate.

Actually, scratch that, I didn't notice you couldn't move through properties if you didn't have enough money.

As for the idea of paying bail to get pieces out of jail, maybe you could it like this: Whenever you are eligible to move a piece through the dice roll, you can instead of moving a piece of that type pay a certain cost (depending on the piece in question: Pawns should be cheap, while Queens should cost a fortune), to place the piece in one of it's starting positions.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 04:59:16 pm »

I second Myroc.
Hilarius. ;D
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2009, 04:25:14 pm »

Funny little idea, and I see no problems with it.  Though the details on properties seem a little hazy.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2009, 08:24:20 pm »

what about jail?

SolarShado

• Bay Watcher
  • Psi-Blade => Your Back
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2009, 08:31:25 pm »

sounds cool, but what about promotion of pawns?
Avid (rabid?) Linux user. Preferred flavor: Arch

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2009, 10:26:22 am »

Jail is entered whenver a piece is captured. On doubles, all pieces in jail escape from jail. A get out of jail free card only works on one piece.

Promotion I hadn't though about. Perhaps you can change the pawn to another piece?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2009, 10:47:24 am »

Wait, on doubles, all pieces are let out of jail? Wouldn't that mean that pretty much all the pieces would be in play throughout an entire game?

Also, can I be the shoe?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2009, 06:32:00 pm »

I reccomend : Top hat for king~!

If you want to be the top hat, you always play black and always go second though.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2009, 06:41:58 pm »

Might I suggest a chess piece for the king (Ok nothing new there). Also when moving it you roll a dice and can move that many in any direction, provided you don't cross the capture zone or whatever of an enemy. Basically you can't pass through a square if staying there would put you in check.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.