Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Project Monkey-Hammer... will this actually work?  (Read 2249 times)

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
Project Monkey-Hammer... will this actually work?
« on: November 23, 2009, 01:10:32 pm »

I'm building a huge, hollow hammer outside my gate, connected to a single support which will "drop the hammer" on invaders when a lever is pulled. Since there is no Magma on my map, I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques instead.

Question: If I set it up so that the monkeys are just trapped in an open pit inside the hammer, with NO roof over them (ie: nothing above them to collapse onto them), can they survive when the hammer drops and deconstructs?

The way I picture it happening... an invading force closes in on my gate, I pull the lever and drop the hammer on them, it crushes several and the dust-cloud knocks most of the others unconcious... and while they're helpless, the monkeys steal all of their weapons!
Never pet a burning dog.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: Project Monkey-Hammer... will this actually work?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2009, 01:18:43 pm »

The fall might harm the monkeys, but otherwise I don't see any immediate problems.

Occasionally when I set off a cave-in right next to somebody, they were damaged even though they didn't fall any levels and they weren't under the cave-in. I was collapsing with ice rocks, so I don't know if that is a property exclusive to that or not.

In any case, you might give the monkeys a bit of room from any walls you plan on collapsing.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2009, 01:19:26 pm »

The monkeys won't be crushed, but they will be stunned and probably injured.  I don't know if they'll actually steal weapons from the invaders.  Even so you should build it anyway as the idea of collapsing a hammer full of monkeys on invaders is awesome.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2009, 02:31:04 pm »

Occasionally when I set off a cave-in right next to somebody, they were damaged even though they didn't fall any levels and they weren't under the cave-in.

I've seen this happen as well - it's possible the cave-in dust pushed them hard enough that they slammed into a wall or tree.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2009, 03:35:18 pm »

... and while they're helpless, the monkeys steal all of their weapons!
The fall might harm the monkeys...

The monkeys won't be crushed, but they will be stunned and probably injured.

So we'll end up with Rhesus pieces?  ;D
Never pet a burning dog.

dogstile

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2009, 05:00:03 pm »

This is a iron hammer, it is encircled with spikes of rhesus macaques and it is encircled with bands of OWNAGE
my champion is now holding his artifact crossbow by his upper left leg and still shooting with is just fine despite having no hands.
What? He's firing from the hip.

KenboCalrissian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2009, 05:17:32 pm »

The way you're describing, it sounds like you're more likely to crush and outright kill your enemies with the cave-in, and likewise cover their bodies with the floor that's holding up the monkeys.  Then you just have a bunch of stunned, possibly broken monkeys lying around.  Unless I have the wrong mental image of your design...
I've never tried it and there's a good chance it could make them freak out.
Do it.
Severedcoils - the Baron Consort accumulation challenge
Severedcoils II: The Reckoning - a DnD 5e Adventure set in the world of Severedcoils

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2009, 05:56:41 pm »

and likewise cover their bodies with the floor that's holding up the monkeys.
Only if it's made of natural walls.
Natural floors will vanish (???) and artificial walls and floors deconstruct.

I'm not sure what would happen, to be honest.
Give it a try and tell us what happened, like a true dwarf!
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2009, 06:12:48 pm »

A possible alternative that would have the same effect but not be quiiite as dwarfy:

1. Build the hammer hollow, but fill it with magma. When the cave-in occurs, the magma will explode as if out of nowhere.

2. Build the hammer without anything inside - but below the drop point, have an exit passage from the monkey holding chambers that gets destroyed upon fallage, allowing the monkeys to run out into the ruins once the dust has settled.

3. Both. Enjoy your flaming monkey dancers.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2009, 01:37:59 pm »

A possible alternative that would have the same effect but not be quiiite as dwarfy:

1. Build the hammer hollow, but fill it with magma. When the cave-in occurs, the magma will explode as if out of nowhere.

2. Build the hammer without anything inside - but below the drop point, have an exit passage from the monkey holding chambers that gets destroyed upon fallage, allowing the monkeys to run out into the ruins once the dust has settled.

Dammit, now I have to build a giant hammer and fill it with magma, and let it fallthrough floor hatches onto my enemies' heads. As a bonus, it will be easy to reload.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Alexei403

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2009, 03:08:08 pm »

...Since there is no Magma on my map, I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques instead.

:-\

Retro

• Bay Watcher
  • o7
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2009, 04:52:22 pm »

...Since there is no Magma on my map, I'm filling it with Rhesus Macaques instead.

:(

I kind of thought the monkeys were just for the randomness of it. I suppose that makes a little more sense.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2009, 07:49:36 pm »

Well, there's still #2.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2009, 08:18:28 pm »

What's more fun than a hammer-full of monkeys?   :D
There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2009, 11:14:21 pm »

Two hammers full of insane traders.

DOO EEET.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme
Pages: [1] 2