Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36

Author Topic: Horrible Role Mafia - FoS Brigade? - Mafia Win  (Read 44432 times)

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile

Apologies for being one.  RL grabbed me during the weekend.  Working on the widescan piece by piece.
Marco.
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile

Polo!

Oh, that wasn't at me? Oops. :P

Seriously, though, I'm looking through things right now.

Just to get my thoughts in order, though, and hopefully spark some debate:

We have these people still alive:

Pandarsenic
Eduren
Dakarian
Mephansteras
Solifuge
Kashyyk
CobaltKobold

3/7 are Mafia. Which means we're in lylo and need to choose correctly. However, it also means that we have a very high chance of lynching scum. None of which matters if we don't actually get some participation out of people.

Most suspicious people to me right now are:

CobaltKobold, for making lots of scummy statements throughout the game followed by lots of backpedaling and extra 'explanations' when it's pointed out.

Solifuge, for quite a few strange actions and questionable decisions. For example, you said you thought Eduren was scum but as soon as he asked about it you backpedaled and said he 'shouldn't worry about it'. Did you not actually suspect he was scum? I was going with your 'If I had two votes and was scum we'd have just won' argument to mostly clear you as town, but just now I realized that if the scum had a non-voter, that wouldn't hold up. So now I'm not so sure.

Pandarsenic, for excessive lurking. Kashyyk has also been lurky, but he's *always* lurky. Panda, not so much.  So, what's up with that, Panda?

We only have another day or two before Leaf comes back. Let's use this time!

I will cast my vote Thursday at the latest.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

Mephansteras, I think my economized posting not being optional was pretty obvious, probably assigned to me *because* I'm so active normally. And isn't Kashyyk up for replacement?
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So it's role based?

I guess that makes sense. Or is at least unprovable. Still, even with conditional posting of some sort you could participate more. At least say who you are suspicious of and vote, if nothing else.

And Kashyyk isn't being replaced I think because he'll be back about when Leafsnail is.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile

Ok, finally did a run through the thread.  So far something stood out for me: 

Hey Meph, now I know you claimed to be Overconfident and, thus, can't remove a vote once you place it, but explain to me this:

1: Why did you vote during your RV if you KNEW you couldn't remove it?  It wasn't even a proper attack, but a real RV and the second post ever in the game.  So why damn ToonyMan with it?

2:  Why did you claim that Toony was just wanting to lynch anyone the second he applied ANY pressure on you?  And yes, it was clearly PRESSURE, not a 'desire to lynch anyone'. 

I also note that you make no effort to explain the deal with your vote.  You're fully content to let it sit even before you felt that Toony was really scum and play it off like you meant to just stay on him anyway.

3. Why did you do nothing to go after anyone else?  You don't need to vote to attack others.  FoS or just simple pressures would do as well.  Instead, you aimed ONLY at TOonyman.

4.  D2 brings this mess:

On the topic of Toony, I'm still puzzled by his behavior day 1. It was incredibly anti-town and odd.

I mean, he never even explained his vote on me, despite my pointing out several times that he refused to respond logically to anything.

Right off the gate you defend yourself over what happened with ToonyMan.  No one had any time to mention it.  You then hold your vote for a while but later start up on Soli (who's been after you) and eventually plop a vote on her. 

Once she comes in with ONE counter after your first real attack on her, you 'pull back' but.. OH, you can't because you can't remove your vote.

btw, saying that you are scared to vote because of it in Day 2 doesn't mean a hill of beans when you RV with it D1.

So you back off saying Soli is town, but the day ends since the town is half inactive and your vote puts Soli on top.  The ONLY reason why she's alive is due to some voting role altering everything.

So you vote on one person instantly KNOWING YOU CAN'T UNVOTE and act like you always meant to do it even when you didn't have a strong suspicion on them.  You then vote for another D2 but cover by saying that you goofed and can't unvote even though the action still almost killed that person as well.

Meanwhile, you've been either passive or quick to cast such a dangerous vote.  You almost never question anyone seriously, never put much pressure on them, talk passively, and try to find a way to cover over your 'mistake vote' before the reckoning comes. 

Nah, you're scum, full and true.  You RV to try to LOOK town since it's VERY suspicious to not vote and didn't want to have to try to explain yourself with a MC so early.  You tunneled Toony in an attempt to cover over it and just look like a regular townie pulling the old Toony Tunnel.

You realize you can't do the same trick D2 since we don't RV then and so you try to scumhunt.  When you find someone to hit and DO you realize you CAN'T fight Solifuge off as easily as you did Toony so you try to pull out.  If the town stays inactive, your vote would Lynch Soli anyway and your explanation would cover for it.  If Soli lived then you'd be free from trouble anyway.

Result: a very untowny way of acting.. but a VERY logical way of handling an ugly role as mafia.

So Meph  Care to answer to those charges?
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile

So it's role based?

I guess that makes sense. Or is at least unprovable. Still, even with conditional posting of some sort you could participate more. At least say who you are suspicious of and vote, if nothing else.

And Kashyyk isn't being replaced I think because he'll be back about when Leafsnail is.

Yeah, see, the only way to prove that would be to make my tenth post in the day.

Whereupon I would be modkilled. Which isn't helpful.

I'm going to reserve the remainder of my posts until further notice (that is, I'm not posting until I post again. Tautology, I know).

Because I can't post this later without taking away from my scarcest resource: Dakarian, to be perfectly fair Toony was being an absolute spaz. However, I too am interested to hear Mephansteras' answer.
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Eduren

• Bay Watcher
  • A new theme!
    • View Profile

Hell, there's always the possibility that he doesn't have that role.
I don't know.  Duke wants me to stop playing mafia.
That's the sign of an abusive boyfriend, Toony... you don't have to listen to him.

dakarian

• Bay Watcher
  • OMGITSACAT
    • View Profile

He may not, which ruins him completely as a liar.  That would be harder to prove though.

The trick is, assuming he's telling the truth, it looks just as scummy considering how he treated his role and realizing that he knew his role from D1.
Quote from: Dakarian
What was I doing with Mr.Person through most of Day 3, lovemaking!?
I KNEW IT!

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Ok, finally did a run through the thread.  So far something stood out for me: 

Hey Meph, now I know you claimed to be Overconfident and, thus, can't remove a vote once you place it, but explain to me this:

1: Why did you vote during your RV if you KNEW you couldn't remove it?  It wasn't even a proper attack, but a real RV and the second post ever in the game.  So why damn ToonyMan with it?

I already said this, but it's because I random voted by habit. I totally forgot about the fact that I couldn't unvote until a few minutes after I made the post and by that point it was too late. It was a mistake, pure and simple.

2:  Why did you claim that Toony was just wanting to lynch anyone the second he applied ANY pressure on you?  And yes, it was clearly PRESSURE, not a 'desire to lynch anyone'. 

I also note that you make no effort to explain the deal with your vote.  You're fully content to let it sit even before you felt that Toony was really scum and play it off like you meant to just stay on him anyway.

I was simply putting pressure back on him. I was really confused as to where he got the 'buddying' claim from, which seemed to come out of nowhere. So I accused him of just trying to get someone lynched (as his was a non-random vote and actually claimed to have some meaning behind it) to see what he'd do. He then refused to explain his position and every attempt to get him to make sense just had him refuse to be helpful in any way.

He acting incredibly scummy so there wasn't any reason to do a role-claim at that point. And as I mentioned earlier, I had initially planned on doing the role claim and telling everyone to ignore my vote once I was reasonably sure that Toony wasn't scum. But he didn't do anything to make me think he wasn't scum. And I figured that my vote had more weight on him (since he was panicking) if he thought I could remove it. If he knew I couldn't it would have weakened my arguments. And, since I was sure he was scum, I couldn't see any benefit in doing so.

3. Why did you do nothing to go after anyone else?  You don't need to vote to attack others.  FoS or just simple pressures would do as well.  Instead, you aimed ONLY at TOonyman.

That's not true at all. I called out Cobalt on her lingering vote on Kashyyk (which she explained). I did also look at other people (during my wide scan of posts), but no one else was doing anything particularly scummy. So, yes, I focused on Toony as the most suspicious.

4.  D2 brings this mess:

On the topic of Toony, I'm still puzzled by his behavior day 1. It was incredibly anti-town and odd.

I mean, he never even explained his vote on me, despite my pointing out several times that he refused to respond logically to anything.

Right off the gate you defend yourself over what happened with ToonyMan.  No one had any time to mention it.  You then hold your vote for a while but later start up on Soli (who's been after you) and eventually plop a vote on her. 

Once she comes in with ONE counter after your first real attack on her, you 'pull back' but.. OH, you can't because you can't remove your vote.

btw, saying that you are scared to vote because of it in Day 2 doesn't mean a hill of beans when you RV with it D1.

So you back off saying Soli is town, but the day ends since the town is half inactive and your vote puts Soli on top.  The ONLY reason why she's alive is due to some voting role altering everything.

So you vote on one person instantly KNOWING YOU CAN'T UNVOTE and act like you always meant to do it even when you didn't have a strong suspicion on them.  You then vote for another D2 but cover by saying that you goofed and can't unvote even though the action still almost killed that person as well.

That's a bit of a misrepresentation of things.

First off, yes, I was much more cautious with my vote that day. I'd screwed up by RVing the first day and had been kicking myself over it. So I wanted to be more careful.

We then went for most of the allotted time for that day without anything much of substance going on. It starts to get near the deadline with little going on, so I go back and start reviewing everything in detail. The more I read, the more suspicious Solifuge looked. I eventually decided that I'd take the risk of voting her. If I could pressure her enough into dropping more scum tells we'd have found scum and could lynch her. If not, I could role-claim and back off.

I don't back off until Niur role claims and says that he's given his vote to Solifuge. Which, as she argued, if she were scum would have let them control the vote and win. That's pretty damn good evidence of town alignment, even if there are a few scenarios where she could still have been scum. She posted a good bit before that where I *didn't* back down. So, no, I didn't just go after someone and then drop it when I couldn't get an easy lynch, which is what you're implying. I found the most suspicious people I could based on their actions and did what I could to pressure them and find scum while dealing with the limitations of my ability.

And, if you couldn't tell from reading back through this, this game has had huge inactivity. I've been doing my best to keep it running even when other people have been lurking to all hell. That's hard to do at the best of times, even more so when I can't do more then FoS people without sticking an unmovable vote on someone.

I've given good reasons for all the votes that I placed, and I don't apologize for them. The only time I've ever backed down was when given good evidence *not* to vote someone. As far as passivity goes, I don't always have a lot of time during the day to go through things. I've had some busy days at work lately and only a few occasional periods where I could really dig in and look for suspicious behavior. Most of the times where I could be called 'passive' are cases where I'm posting to keep the game going but don't have time to do much. I was hoping we'd have more activity in this game, but we've had *days* go by where only a handful of people posted at all. It's limiting, especially when I don't have huge amounts of time to go and make giant posts about everyone.
Come play Mafia with us!

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

I'm back.  Day is extended for now due to mod abscence.  Kashyyk is back tomorrow too, theoretically giving us a full player list.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hello? People? Anyone still playing this?
Come play Mafia with us!

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Only barely. No internet access save for at work and the library for at least the next few days. I'll do what I can in the interim. My suspicions and vote hasn't seen reason enough to change.

We have 3 Scum. They are probably coordinating how best to guarantee offing the remaining town. My assumption is that this will be/is being done via one Scum player promoting the lynch of another Scum player (bussing?), followed by townspeople.

If only someone had already made a move to enact such a plan... but what's this?

Polo!

<INSERT TEXT WALL HERE>

I suspect Mephansteras is attempting to bus CobaltKobold, and follow that up with the 3 people he knows to be townies, hoping to foment their lynches in the next days, and secure the win.

My vote for Cobalt stays the same, though. Also, in the event that I hit it head on and get night killed, I would also propose that Eduren is a close runner up, as one of the only players not mentioned by Mephansteras.

Can we get a vote-count, leaf?

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I would add Rampant Self-Preservationism to the charges against Mephansteras as well. A lot of energy spent to defend yourself, and very little spent explaining why you have suspice.

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Polo!

Oh, that wasn't at me? Oops. :P

Seriously, though, I'm looking through things right now.

Just to get my thoughts in order, though, and hopefully spark some debate:

We have these people still alive:

Pandarsenic
Eduren
Dakarian
Mephansteras
Solifuge
Kashyyk
CobaltKobold

3/7 are Mafia. Which means we're in lylo and need to choose correctly. However, it also means that we have a very high chance of lynching scum. None of which matters if we don't actually get some participation out of people.

Most suspicious people to me right now are:

CobaltKobold, for making lots of scummy statements throughout the game followed by lots of backpedaling and extra 'explanations' when it's pointed out.

Solifuge, for quite a few strange actions and questionable decisions. For example, you said you thought Eduren was scum but as soon as he asked about it you backpedaled and said he 'shouldn't worry about it'. Did you not actually suspect he was scum? I was going with your 'If I had two votes and was scum we'd have just won' argument to mostly clear you as town, but just now I realized that if the scum had a non-voter, that wouldn't hold up. So now I'm not so sure.

Pandarsenic, for excessive lurking. Kashyyk has also been lurky, but he's *always* lurky. Panda, not so much.  So, what's up with that, Panda?

We only have another day or two before Leaf comes back. Let's use this time!

I will cast my vote Thursday at the latest.

So this post doesn't count as talking about my suspicions? The only reason I didn't go over them again in my reply to dak was because I had *just* posted them.
Come play Mafia with us!

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile

right I'm back now, so no sneaky lynches.

Let me read through the thread.
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 36