Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]

Author Topic: Organ sales  (Read 5001 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: Organ sales
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2009, 10:58:29 pm »

I'm not Canadian. I'm Malaysian. I just live and study in Canada right now.

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 27, 2009, 04:55:40 am »

I see nothing wrong with selling or donating organs. As long as it is your organs you are selling. On the other hand, organs should be expensive, to deliver a "Don't fuck it up in the first place" motive.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 27, 2009, 09:50:36 pm »

I see nothing wrong with selling or donating organs. As long as it is your organs you are selling. On the other hand, organs should be expensive, to deliver a "Don't fuck it up in the first place" motive.

So you're going to encourage the underclasses selling off a kidney each by making it more lucrative to do so.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: November 27, 2009, 10:00:44 pm »

If it'll help you get by, I suppose it's a good thing. I really don't think I can take a "I'm not underclass, so I don't care" approach. You should care for your fellow humans.

It'd be hard to find a price that wouldn't encourage recklessness on either side.

I really don't know what the best option is, I suppose you could inform them of the dangers of selling a kidney, but historically the uneducated haven't cared about that sort of thing. I personally think the best option is organ cloning, but people tend to get pissy around stem-cell research. I think the world is too young for it.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: November 27, 2009, 10:04:43 pm »

No I think what he means is that paying people for organs while they are still alive may be taking advantage of the poor and destitute and the fact that they need money.

I do believe that in many ways we have to be careful as a society not to take too much of an advantage of the less fortunate.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: November 27, 2009, 11:14:03 pm »

How could one support abortion and not organ donation with being considered sexist?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: November 27, 2009, 11:52:58 pm »

How could one support abortion and not organ donation with being considered sexist?

Ok I could see a co-relation between Abortion and Organ donation (I wonder what Fetus farming would be under) but sexist is where things no longer make sense.

Maybe women have extra organs we arn't aware of? Or males (though when was the last time you honestly heard of racism against males and it was serious about it too?)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: November 28, 2009, 02:11:49 am »

:-\

1. Correlation
2. I'm totally racist against males too. Damn males coming to our country stealing all our jobs! I used to work a high level CEO job but some damn man had to come steal it! We should ship all those goddamn males back to their male country where they came from.
3. "It"?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: November 28, 2009, 03:43:55 am »

No I think what he means is that paying people for organs while they are still alive may be taking advantage of the poor and destitute and the fact that they need money.

I do believe that in many ways we have to be careful as a society not to take too much of an advantage of the less fortunate.

Exactly. If you can sell one of your kidneys for $10,000 (or $5,000, or $20,000, doesn't matter) and you're a down-on-his-luck guy whose house is about to be foreclosed on, or who is running into the bottom of the barrel trying to support his family, you'll probably do it.

The people who don't have to do it to financially support themselves won't do it, because people simply aren't going to part with organs in order to make quick cash.

In other words, it wouldn't be about people helping other people. It would be about economic stratification getting skewed like crazy because poor people would be selling off whatever organs they might be able to sorta do without.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: November 28, 2009, 05:19:12 am »

You don't need to abort a fetus to clone organs, just donate egg cells which can be injected with the recipient's DNA, harvest the stem cells from the  test tube fetus and grow an organ. How would this or my earlier comment be considered sexist? I hope I'm not offensive.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: November 28, 2009, 11:27:17 am »

Exactly. If you can sell one of your kidneys for $10,000 (or $5,000, or $20,000, doesn't matter) and you're a down-on-his-luck guy whose house is about to be foreclosed on, or who is running into the bottom of the barrel trying to support his family, you'll probably do it.

The people who don't have to do it to financially support themselves won't do it, because people simply aren't going to part with organs in order to make quick cash.

In other words, it wouldn't be about people helping other people. It would be about economic stratification getting skewed like crazy because poor people would be selling off whatever organs they might be able to sorta do without.

Heh, coming from a third world country, I've heard plenty of real stories about organ selling. Believe it or not, people are very much willing to part with organs for money. It's not because they're stupid. It's just that when you grow up illiterate, never leaving your home state, you believe the words of some guy with more money than you could possibly imagine.

Some poor people are both horribly lazy and desperate for money. Destitute people fight over money, divorce, steal, betray family members/close friends just for money. Let's put it this way: In some countries, poverty-line wages are about $0.20 an hour. Imagine how much say, $30K would offer. It means that they'd never have to work for years.

With that kind of motivation, you'd be willing to believe any lies and half-truths an organ buyer would tell you. If you told them they'd need only one lung to live, they'd probably sell it if it means they'd never have to work again. Hell, some people would sell their testicles, arms, feet, whatever they deem unnecessary if there was a demand for it.

Also put it this way - loan sharks are known to physically injure or kill people who don't pay debts in time. Selling organs is a way around borrowing from them, without debt. Legalizing organ selling means that loan sharks could just grab a debtor, cut out his kidneys, and sell it off to repay a debt.

Organ donations are a good thing. Controversial on a personal scale, but good overall. Organ selling is almost always bad.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: November 28, 2009, 06:19:08 pm »

Edit: I'm an idiot.

And organ donations are good; should be some law making it nessiscary to donate them by default.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7]