Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7

Author Topic: Organ sales  (Read 5010 times)

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: Organ sales
« Reply #75 on: November 25, 2009, 06:56:39 pm »

What is this antidonation thread you speak of?

This crapfest.  Let's not discuss it in this thread though.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 25, 2009, 07:24:53 pm »

I've got a feeling I know how this discussion is going to go.

Remember the anti-donation thread? Like that.

One side: Reasonable argument.
Other side: Rambling nonsense and sidestepping. Accusations of almost unrelated things.
One side: Reasonable argument. Pointing out that no questions were answered, just shouted at.

And on and on, until the thread is shut down.

If you think wanting to avoid unnecessary crap like that makes me forum police, then fine.

Dude, if you want to avoid unnecessary crap like that, then just try to be a reasonable part of the discussion.

Right now, you've just been derailing the thread and making it less constructive with your complaints about how the thread will probably be derailed and unconstructive. It's counterproductive.

If you're afraid of that stuff happening, it helps to not contribute to it by causing a ridiculous argument over whether or not the thread will turn ridiculous.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 25, 2009, 08:09:47 pm »

If you are afraid of shit like this happening, ask for General Discussion to be closed.   Then it won't ever happen again. 

Simple eh?  The right idea right here:
It makes you more like the forum precrime officer, but yeah.  If you think controversial topics are doomed, report the thread and maybe advocate for the closing of this subforum.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 25, 2009, 08:22:01 pm »

That actually made me laugh out loud.

I won't argue, due to G-Flexs' catch 22, but what did that add to the thread?

Anyway, back to the topic.

Organ donation should work on an 'opt-out' system, where everyone is automatically registered as an organ donor, but can choose to have their name removed. This means that the people who are undecided don't have to make a decision, while those who are set against the idea don't have to donate, if they feel strongly enough about it to go through whatever motions would be nessecary and take their name off of the register.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 25, 2009, 08:57:13 pm »

It added nothing to the thread as originally intended. It added to the topic you brought up yourself. There's a difference between continuing a line of discussion that shouldn't have been brought up in the first place, and being the one to bring it up. Just because it wasn't a good idea to start talking about this doesn't mean I like to walk away from it when I feel like there's more to say, although sometimes I probably should.

Organ donation should work on an 'opt-out' system, where everyone is automatically registered as an organ donor, but can choose to have their name removed. This means that the people who are undecided don't have to make a decision, while those who are set against the idea don't have to donate, if they feel strongly enough about it to go through whatever motions would be nessecary and take their name off of the register.

That sounds reasonable enough, and would avoid a lot of backlash.

Personally, I don't know if people would go for mandatory organ donation right now; I just think it's a good idea.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 25, 2009, 08:59:02 pm »

That is a better idea... then becoming a piece of property...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 25, 2009, 11:47:01 pm »

The argument between Realmfighter and Zangi had stopped, people were trying to calm things down, but G-Flex decided to post another attack on Zangi's beliefs/opinions. I would have directed it Maggarg as well if he'd posted before me. We don't need religious debate that goes nowhere but to incoherent rants.

x2yzh9 also mentioned "moral and personal reasons," and I'd like to hear those.  And it's entirely reasonable to ask x2yzh9 what religion gave rise to his beliefs, and how, since he saw fit to voice his opinion.  Please shift your concern to people who are actually flaming each other.

When I die no-one is allowed anywhere near my body. Not because I care about what happens to it but because I am a complete bastard.

Are you going to like, put it in your will that everyone must evacuate the immediate area?
My beliefs? Well-
I will only say this, please do not be lighter fluid and start a flame war
Religion-I'm christian, said and done. I've been through alot of things making me think about religion, life, afterlife, death and everything a few months ago.

This event was major, to say the
VERY
VERY
VERY LEAST.

I went through a lot of stuff then, and i'm christian. I would like my body to be buried, whole. Death is a part of life, it cannot be eliminated. I know the whole 'Well we should do our best to reduce it' but the organs would only be available to the wealthy, and that is not what I would want. Now, if you are christian or atheistic/other religion but tolerating of christian beliefs, then you might as well read this next thing.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2009, 01:43:04 am »

Don't they already have that in the UK or something?

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2009, 02:50:52 am »

I know the whole 'Well we should do our best to reduce it' but the organs would only be available to the wealthy, and that is not what I would want.

That problem, as much as it exists, already exists now.

And the way economics works, greater supply causes people with less money to be able to have something. The more people who donate their organs, the LESS serious the "they're only going to the rich" problem becomes.

Basically, the reason organs go only to the rich (if that's the case) is that they're in such short supply that only those who can seriously pull some strings will end up getting them.

I'm not saying the system doesn't need reform, because maybe it does. But greater availability would help in a big way.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2009, 08:46:12 am »

I guess the advantage of a nationalized health service and a national insurance system is that people with non-functioning organs will be assessed on how long they are likely to live, and the organ will go to the person who needs it most.
If organ donation was compulsory, lives would be saved. Organs don't go to the rich here.
Almost all religions teach that life is a precious thing. No matter what you believe about the sanctity of your decomposing corpse, the most loving and the most moral thing to do is to donate those squishy chunks of meat.
I do not debate the validity of your religion, but I certainly question your desire to waste your body after death.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2009, 06:45:48 pm »

It's not really from any malevolence that a person would desire to hoard their precious organs, I think it's just:

We're really attached to our organs, you know (pun intended) and can't imagine being separated from them, even after death. It's just the thought of some doctor suits extracting organs from your body is a terrible squick, and don't want to have to subject themselves to that, even if they'd be dead at the time anyway.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2009, 06:47:44 pm »

My family is watching My Sister's Keeper right now.

Movie related.  I am 100% on the side of the healthy sister, although I suspect that was the line of thought the movie was intended to produce.
Shoes...

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2009, 06:58:48 pm »

Since most of us Chinese nowadays end up cremating our bodies anyway, I think generally as a culture we don't care about bodies staying whole after death. This might have something to do with us not having enough space to bury corpses these days.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2009, 07:08:50 pm »

Since most of us Chinese nowadays end up cremating our bodies anyway, I think generally as a culture we don't care about bodies staying whole after death. This might have something to do with us not having enough space to bury corpses these days.

Well given what I hear they often do to bodies after someone buys up the land I'd have to agree.

x2yzh9

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2009, 08:33:07 pm »

Your chinese?

Interesting.

And your canadian?

IMPOSSIBLE! THIS IS MADNESS!

[Que sparta meme]
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7