Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7

Author Topic: Organ sales  (Read 5002 times)

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Organ sales
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2009, 12:40:35 pm »

I hope that one day you have no choice about whether your organs stay in your dead body or not.
Once you are dead, you are property, not a person. The person has gone, depending on your beliefs, to the afterlife or to oblivion.
Keeping valuable, life-saving organs inside a dead body because of your beliefs is morally wrong.

Who's property?  The gov't?  Some big proxy business contracted by the gov't?  The family?  If family?  Who gets priority?

Will it be donated?  Or sold?  If its gonna be donated and property of family...  It will still be the same as today, unless the way people think has changed drastically in that future of yours.

If its owned by gov't... nationalism will have to be pretty damned strong... for it to even happen.  And there will be people fighting against it, no matter what, every step of the way.  There will be people, who would destroy their own organ and body, upon their deathbed or commit suicide when they know they are going to die anyways, to ensure noone gets their grubby hands on it and/or to get the point across.

It'll be a damn hotbed of a political maze with traps scattered about like abortion...  Probably worse... since it would effect everyone.  (At least from a happening in America viewpoint...)

Not a lot of people want to know that their body will be screwed around with after death, not a lot of family want to see/know their dead relatives become property of someone else and screwed around with.  Burials, cremations and all that fancy stuff exist because of that.  Respecting the dead and all that.

Your vision is... can't say I like the idea of being someone's property... I can imagine being put in a morgue, but more akin to a butcher's freezer for practicality and expense purposes then a standard morgue...  If its proxy business run, the bodies would probably just be stacked and/or not properly body-bagged if they can get away with it.  They'd have showcase freezers and the freezers where all the bodies normally stay...

I predict that it is unlikely to happen... until after humanity's survival factor kicks in... and dead humans have some way to fix it...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2009, 01:27:14 pm »

You're your own until you are dead. After that your organs belong to whoever needs them most.
Once everything of use (functioning organs and the like) has been removed, the family can do what they wish with the body. Preferably cremation, because burial is a waste of space.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2009, 01:48:27 pm »

Being an asshole in response to someone else being an asshole will not make the situation better. I don't want to see this thread locked.

Then why on Earth did you post?

Did you confuse G-Flex with someone else or something?

And yeah, I'm also curious about what would cause someone to "hold shit sacred," "shit" being their abandoned internal organs.  All that's coming to mind is ancient Egypt.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2009, 01:55:15 pm by Footkerchief »

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2009, 02:04:17 pm »

The argument between Realmfighter and Zangi had stopped, people were trying to calm things down, but G-Flex decided to post another attack on Zangi's beliefs/opinions. I would have directed it Maggarg as well if he'd posted before me. We don't need religious debate that goes nowhere but to incoherent rants.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.
This is mz poetrz, it is mz puyyle.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2009, 02:05:16 pm »

When I die no-one is allowed anywhere near my body. Not because I care about what happens to it but because I am a complete bastard.
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2009, 02:26:00 pm »

The argument between Realmfighter and Zangi had stopped, people were trying to calm things down, but G-Flex decided to post another attack on Zangi's beliefs/opinions. I would have directed it Maggarg as well if he'd posted before me. We don't need religious debate that goes nowhere but to incoherent rants.

x2yzh9 also mentioned "moral and personal reasons," and I'd like to hear those.  And it's entirely reasonable to ask x2yzh9 what religion gave rise to his beliefs, and how, since he saw fit to voice his opinion.  Please shift your concern to people who are actually flaming each other.

When I die no-one is allowed anywhere near my body. Not because I care about what happens to it but because I am a complete bastard.

Are you going to like, put it in your will that everyone must evacuate the immediate area?

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2009, 02:32:17 pm »

Probably more like a restraining order that's effective against everybody. They'd have to use long poles to move him into his grave, which'd be in the Antarctic or something.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2009, 02:47:18 pm »

I believe you have me mixed with someone else.  Religion has nothing to do with what I posted... and it is directed at Maggarg's opinion/comment.

You're your own until you are dead. After that your organs belong to whoever needs them most.
Once everything of use (functioning organs and the like) has been removed, the family can do what they wish with the body. Preferably cremation, because burial is a waste of space.
Yea, whoever needs it most will still be decided by someone else.  Either by the gov't and its red tape or some proxy business out for the money and skimping on anything they can get away with.
Whoever is most 'needy' will not be decided by the people who should decide.  It will be decided by people who don't know jack about the trade, but believe they do and/or corrupt people... in either a gov't or proxy business controlled setting...

No comment on burial and cremation, I don't care either way on that subject.

Either way...  I'm in line with this:
But, probably a bit different...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2009, 05:42:58 pm »

If I donate my heart and liver and such, and someone slightly messes up who it goes to... er, it's still better than nobody having it in the first place?

I don't think corpses should just flat-out become property, except perhaps property of the family, which they sort of do now. I just think organ donation should be compulsory.

And I really don't think the situation would make it any worse at all. Government red tape can only get so far in the way of "this guy needs a heart", and if anything, the whole system of organ waiting lists and stuff would probably get a whole lot LESS ridiculous and broken if vast amounts more organs were actually available.

This is a forum thread where we are discussing the relative merit of ideas. If you post your ideas about something, you should not be surprised if people vocally disagreeing with them. Saying "it's personal" doesn't give you an automatic take-my-opinion-seriously card.

I also didn't bring up religion at all, and if you're afraid of incoherent rants, then I suggest you start complaining when people actually start doing it, instead of bogging down the thread with tangents about who is or isn't allowed to disagree with what.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2009, 06:17:39 pm »

The argument was almost dead.
But then, life was also easier when I was running around here pretending to be a man, so I guess I should just "man up" and get back to work.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2009, 06:21:32 pm »

Read this again please:

This is a forum thread where we are discussing the relative merit of ideas.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2009, 06:21:41 pm »

No offense, but since you got that stern avatar you've kind of turned into forum police, Akigagak.
Shoes...

Akigagak

• Bay Watcher
  • Omnipimping
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 25, 2009, 06:41:47 pm »

I've got a feeling I know how this discussion is going to go.

Remember the anti-donation thread? Like that.

One side: Reasonable argument.
Other side: Rambling nonsense and sidestepping. Accusations of almost unrelated things.
One side: Reasonable argument. Pointing out that no questions were answered, just shouted at.

And on and on, until the thread is shut down.

If you think wanting to avoid unnecessary crap like that makes me forum police, then fine.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 25, 2009, 06:53:29 pm »

It makes you more like the forum precrime officer, but yeah.  If you think controversial topics are doomed, report the thread and maybe advocate for the closing of this subforum.

Jreengus

• Bay Watcher
  • Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 25, 2009, 06:54:22 pm »

What is this antidonation thread you speak of?
Oh yeah baby, you know you like it.  Now stop crying and get in my lungs.
Boil your penis. I'm convinced that's how it happened.
My HoM.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7